Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

1/4 Proctor Neiuport 28 flies again !

Old 05-10-2018, 04:08 PM
foodstick

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 1/4 Proctor Neiuport 28 flies again !

Two winters ago I rebuilt the 1/4 BUSA Camel a buddy had crashed. You can find the thread and pics on this site. This winter I combined two crashed 1/4 Proctor Neiuport 28's into one! Quite a few parts from both..and some totally new pieces as well.

There is a build thread on rcscalebuilders..
Well....I finally flew it today, and I thought some of you might want to see the initial test flights... Nothing long and boring as the sun was in a bad position to film and fly.. but fly it did !

Last edited by foodstick; 05-10-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:47 AM
TomCrump

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Congrats on your successful maiden !

Taking two air frames, and combining them in to a single, flyable unit, is quite an accomplishment.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:54 AM
mgnostic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've been lurking on your RCSB thread. Lots of good inspiration there. Do you notice any particular differences in flight characteristics between the Proctor kit and the Busa planes.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:00 PM
foodstick

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I do not own a BUSA N28, but I have flown one. I did not takeoff or land with it. The roll rate on the BUSA N28 is SLLLOOOOWWWWW. If built to to plans the ailerons hit the wing strut when they come up. With only two ailerons it makes the plane very slow on the roll axis.

On my Proctor , I used piano wire instead of cables to hold the wings on so it is STIFF! I don't know if that is why the ailerons are super sensitive or not? I do have a lot of throw on them. I actually added a bit of expo to chill it out.. I also added a smidge of rudder aileron mix... The rudder seems super effective on the Proctor kit as well.

With only two flights on the plane I have had no issues with ground handling.. I even took off and landed on the petrol mat.. which can be hairy with a biplane and tail skid. Electric works so good on 1/4 scale WW1.. the hardest thing to adjust to is the fact that when you pull back throttle you can actually get to the point where the motor is not pulling it is actually slowing you down a bit. I really have to be careful on landings to keep the power setting high enough to be pulling for ground control.

Tear down and setup is a win for the bu BUSA kit by FAR, however the Proctor kit does seem to be a sweet flier so far. I am able to put the intact plane in my van...so I am going to try and leave it together at all times. All my radio gear is serviceable from under the cowl except the aileron servos... So I can keep an eye on things ...
Old 05-12-2018, 07:56 AM
mgnostic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

With regard to BUSA roll rate I've noticed the same thing on my N-17. A little rudder really helps the roll rate. I suppose that fact that it is a relatively slow airplane with a large, flat bottomed wing plays into it. Rigidity may play a factor in the roll rate. Granted, I am describing an apples to oranges comparison, but at one point I got the bright idea that I could fly my N-17 without the wing struts. Span wise the wing is strong enough but it has very little torsional rigidity. The wing twisted so much with the application of aileron that it almost behaved like reversed wing warping. Sometimes even stupid gets lucky. IIRC the Proctor manual indicated that for a wire braced biplane the N-28 has a relatively flat, fast glide due to the thin airfoil. After I get done with my current Pfalz project I am going to jump back on my N-28 build that stalled many years ago and I plan on borrowing some of your ideas/techniques. Thanks for sharing your tech.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:10 PM
foodstick

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey no problem on sharing ideas.

I have the N11, and its a good flier.. But I am surprised you survived the strut remova on your N17 ! hahah I'm glad it did. The one thing that is for sure the N11, N17 sure have less FLOAT to them with that small bottom wing.. I also find for me the N11 is the hardest one to land (of my 1/4 scales) without slapping a wingtip on the grass. I might just need more practice !

In one of my vids on youtube a friend that flies the 1/4 N17 can be heard saying.."Whooooawwww! the wings are bending bad!" as he made a turn. The plane had been getting weird the last two flights.. turns out he had two cracked spars on the top wing... I am glad he had his outer struts in that day !
Old 05-12-2018, 06:42 PM
mgnostic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by foodstick View Post
Hey no problem on sharing ideas.

In one of my vids on youtube a friend that flies the 1/4 N17 can be heard saying.."Whooooawwww! the wings are bending bad!" as he made a turn. The plane had been getting weird the last two flights.. turns out he had two cracked spars on the top wing... I am glad he had his outer struts in that day !
I cheated on my N-17 wings. I don't remember what it was that I used but I do recall that I used a stronger then stock spar material and I Installed more than the standard number of shear webs. Probably the only way I got away with it. BTW, I've probably watched most of your vids.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:26 PM
foodstick

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for watching the videos.. Sometimes I question why I spent the time doing them, then some cold winter day I sit down and watch them on youtube again.. just to see the green, and pretend that warm humid air is outside.. instead of the endless cold !

It really does cheer me up at the winter building table...