Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

TF P-40E 60 kit build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

TF P-40E 60 kit build

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 11:29 AM
drube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF P-40E 60 kit build

I started building about a month ago. I'm not a fast builder and I only have a couple kits under my belt so i'm still a rookie. lol I'm sure i'll have lots of questions for you guys.
I have built and rough shaped the stab, fin, elevators and rudder and am starting on the fuse next because i'm waiting for the retracts for the wing build. I talked to Robart on June 1st and they said the retracts will be completed in about 45 days and are still in production.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:16 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You are off to a good start.....keep the tail as light as possible.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:17 AM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I always loved the look of pre/early-war planes (i.e.; from the '30s and early '40s) and the P-40 is one of my favorites. Designs from that era have an element of style along with function.

I definitely have a TF P-40 build on my own bucket list. I hear that they fly well, but can be a real handful on the ground. In the meantime, will be following your build and living vicariously through it

Al

p.s.; I too am a very slooooooow builder. From what I see here, you are making great progress!
Old 07-01-2018, 09:42 AM
drube

The stock engine mount that came with the kit is to small for the DLE20RA I plan on installing. I'm on hold until the new mount gets here. Here's where i'm at now.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:14 AM
drube

Hey guys, I'm thinking about trying out E-Flite retracts. Does anyone know what model I need to use for my P40? I checked out HH and only seen P-51 and Spitfires.
Thanks!
Old 09-06-2018, 09:34 AM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Tks for the photos! Enjoyed
Old 09-06-2018, 01:03 PM
drube

Thanks! I need to finish this plane sometime, but I have another project that i'm getting ready to start. A Hostetler Extra 300XS 27%. I wanted to build a bigger plane.
I may do a build thread, not sure yet.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:09 AM
Lee Taylor

Originally Posted by drube

That is some crazy looking hinge action. What is going on there? Not that it is any better but I use purchased plastic/metal-pin hinges. I then drill through and glue in toothpick dowels for tear-strength. Are you planning to fly this bird?
Old 09-07-2018, 04:14 AM
Lee Taylor

That glue on the surface of the balsa may give you a problem if you are planing on painting. May want to give that some thought
Old 09-07-2018, 04:20 AM
Lee Taylor

I have another project that i'm getting ready to start. A Hostetler Extra 300XS 27%. .
I have been flying the Extra 300 on my simulator. I like the way it performs. The performance is very similar to the Yak and the Sbach.

I am currently working on my slow four point roll. I seem to have perfected my out of control spiral of death
Old 09-07-2018, 07:56 AM
drube

Originally Posted by Lee Taylor
That is some crazy looking hinge action. What is going on there? Not that it is any better but I use purchased plastic/metal-pin hinges. I then drill through and glue in toothpick dowels for tear-strength. Are you planning to fly this bird?
It's not hinged yet. I plan on using pin hinges and yes I plan to fly it.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:58 AM
drube

Originally Posted by Lee Taylor
That glue on the surface of the balsa may give you a problem if you are planing on painting. May want to give that some thought
It will be fine. I plan on glassing then painting.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:40 PM
andernamen
My Feedback: (3)

I'm finishing mine up. Been working on it since 2005. I'm at the painting and finishing stages. So many little things to do, but should be ready for maiden this summer. I originally was gonna put my Saito 120 in it, then I bought a DLE 20ra, but now it looks like I will go electric. Will use Robart 615s since I've had them from the start. I don't remember if I added washout to the wings, and this plane has some nasty flight characteristics. Keep it as light as possible!