Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Northeast Aerodynamics Sport-Air Build

Old 07-29-2018, 12:37 PM
VincentJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Northeast Aerodynamics Sport-Air Build

Bob's unopened Sport-Air kit.

Check out the price of this kit when it sold way back when!

This story started out with a conversation that my good friend Bob and I had while flying at our club one night in Merrimack, NH. Bob had somehow gotten his hands on this unopened Sport-Air kit by Northeast Aerodynamics. We had talked about how much Bob wanted this kit built and had asked me if I was interested in putting this plane together for him. Of course I said yes, so here we are!

If any of you have followed or remember any of my previous build threads such as: Ryan STA, or the Space-Walker or my last build, the Morresey Bravo, all kitted by Sig. I hope to bring a bit of fun and knowledge to this project (even though it's not a Sig kit)... So what say you, any takers?

Last edited by VincentJ; 07-30-2018 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:35 PM
sbd-3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sign me up...I have one of these that i fly..One in the garage for a spare.....Great flying sport plane.....On a side note i have a Sport Air twin kit and a belair 40 bipe kit that i think they kitted also????? Memory does fade so if i am wrong about the Belair kit sorry.....

Last edited by sbd-3; 07-29-2018 at 02:41 PM. Reason: ADDED PHOTO
Old 07-29-2018, 03:46 PM
VincentJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Everything seems to be here...

Note the 1980 copyright.

I cleaned off my build table and flipped over the 5/8" sheet rock to give me a new surface to build off of.

Plans lay nice and flat!!!

Welcome sbd-3, now we have a party! I'm afraid to ask what sbd means... Your memory serves you correct, see Photos 1 & 2.

This kit hasn't seen the light of day for quite some time. Upon opening the box I liked what I saw, especially the rolled plans!!! I've always hated to work over folded plans, no matter how much I attempted to straighten them out.

Last edited by VincentJ; 07-29-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:56 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you dislike folded plans, just iron them with the wifeís steam iron with very light steam. They come out flat as a board. Been doing that for decades. No, they donít change size.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:47 AM
VincentJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've tried that before Truckracer, but have stopped doing it when most of the ink came off one of my plans while ironing. It did flatten out those plans, but made a mess of them, so now I'm apprehensive on doing that anymore...

Last edited by VincentJ; 07-30-2018 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:41 AM
TomCrump

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's nice to see that you are back to the building board, VJ.

A friend flew Sport Air 40s back in the 90s. I always enjoyed the way that they looked in the air, and on the ground.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:34 AM
VincentJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Tom, and it's always nice to have you along for the build! I've not heard of the Sport-Air until Bob had showed it to me. I like the way it looks as well, hopefully I can make some improvements that will make it fly and track even better!

While looking over the building instruction booklet, I had noticed that the Northeast Aerodynamics company was right here in almost my backyard, Hudson, NH.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:16 AM
VincentJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Before

After

Decided that I would start by making the wings for this bird, specifically the left panel first. All of the wing ribs were die cut and secured with a rubber band. I did not have to release any ribs from balsa sheeting as is most customary. I've never seen a kit regardless of who makes it, that has ribs that are identical to size and shape, so to make them all uniform and to help ensure that I build a straight wing, I stacked all of the ribs together and will sand them as if they were one. I made sure all of the ribs were right side up (as this is a flat bottom wing), then I took some scrap 3/8" balsa stock and placed all of the ribs on the spar locations which aligned all of the ribs. To ensure that the opposite (trailing edge) side of the rib didn't move, a 3/16" hole was drilled, to which a Birch dowel rod was inserted locking them all together. A gentle sanding on my stationary 12" disc sander made quick work of it... Now I have identical ribs!

Last edited by VincentJ; 07-31-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:24 AM
VincentJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The first rib was set at an angle to accommodate the wing's dihedral. Note the plywood jig I quickly made to make sure it was accurate.

My glue of choice for building is Titebond II except for areas that need more strength in which case I use a good quality 30 minute epoxy.

Close-up of the landing gear detail on the plans.

These four parts make-up the landing gear mount. Here's a good example of where epoxy would be used.

A small piece of 1/16" birch ply coverplate was epoxied and clamped into place.

Construction of the left wing panel began by laying down a barrier of waxed paper to protect the plans and prevent any balsa from sticking. The lower front spar was then pinned in its proper location and the ribs were glued into place. The first rib (closest to the fuse) was set at an angle for the wing's dihedral. Each wing panel has 1-5/8" dihedral or 3-1/4" overall measured dihedral.

You may note a cardboard tube that extends from the second rib through the sixth rib. This is to allow a servo wire to pass through the wing easily after it's covered. I used a model rocket tube (Estes) for this purpose, it's inexpensive, light in weight and adds strength to the assembly. I plan on having individual aileron servos for each wing panel in lieu of the "old school" way of having one servo to actuate both ailerons. Each aileron servo will be positioned in the sixth rib bay.

Last edited by VincentJ; 07-31-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:24 AM
TCampbell

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Vinnie, I'll be watching. I just saw Bob at the field Sunday and this was in his truck. He was talking to me about having you build it. You're going to make him a very happy guy.

Tim
Old 07-31-2018, 08:02 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Vj, I have a Trainaire 20 I built 25 years and was still flying unitl I wrecked in this year. This was an outstanding airplane and I am in the process of rebuilding the fuse. Does anyone know if North East is still in business. I was looking for the train air 40 for a later build project.
Thank You
Michael Johnston
Old 08-01-2018, 01:56 AM
VincentJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So glad you'll be following along Tim, oh the pressure! lol Happy to do it for Bob, hope it will give him a lot of pleasure to fly...

Welcome Mike, sorry to hear about your Train-Air... holy cow you had it for 25 years! I can tell you that Northeast Aerodynamics is no longer in business, hasn't been for quite some time now. You might still be able to find a kit on e-bay, or maybe someone can supply you with a copy of their plans for you. If you have any pictures of your Train-Air, feel free to post here, I know I would love to see it.

Last edited by VincentJ; 08-01-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:07 AM
TomCrump

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I found this on RCG. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ondition%21%21

There was a Sport Aire 40, but it appears to e sold.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:41 AM
VincentJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for looking Tom!

The trailing edge and rear shear webs have been installed. With just a bit more sanding it should be fine... Next I will fit five balsa blocks to areas of the trailing edge for the upgraded Robart barrel hinges that I plan on using.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:51 AM
Stickslammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice build thread! I love the uniform rib method and the wire conduit. I`m sure she`ll be a beauty!
Old 08-01-2018, 09:47 AM
VincentJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Stickslammer, and welcome!
Old 08-01-2018, 12:35 PM
VincentJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hinge blocking in place.

I find using aluminum square tubing purchased at local hardware stores very useful during clamping.

To prevent the square tubing from slipping on the Balsa surface I installed 220 grit sandpaper to one side of the aluminum.

I couldn't build without my clamps and wood blocks!

Blocking was fitted and glued to five designated trailing edge bay areas which will give additional holding power to the 1/8"Robart Steel Hinge Points that I plan on using for the ailerons. In my opinion, these hinges are superior to most other hinge types.

Having carefully sanded all of the wing ribs so they are uniform is now paying its dividends. Applying the leading edge to the front of the ribs fit perfectly. As you can see I use aluminum square stock which I keep in different lengths as well as aluminum angle stock to aid in keeping everything straight during the clamping process...

Building Tip: Don't try to install your Spars, Leading Edge stock , Sheeting, etc. to fit exactly, rather let them run proud off the edges. It is much easier sand them all at one time after the wing is completed.

Last edited by VincentJ; 08-01-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:24 AM
VincentJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Top and bottom sheeting installed.

It came out straight!

First of many shear webs cut and fit into place. Because the spars are offset to each other the webs cannot be glued to their sides which would have been easier.

Woke up rather early this morning so I decided to head down to my workshop and glue on the upper and lower trailing edge sheeting. 1/16" x 1-716" x 27" sheet stock was used, how's that for a weird size...nonetheless I got the job done.

Before the sheeting can be placed over the leading edge, the 1/8" thickness shear webbing (or as the plans call it "compression sheets" ) needs to be fitted and installed. I'm not happy with what was supplied in the kit, they don't fit tight enough for my liking, besides my OCD tells me NO WAY!!! So, I have to custom cut and fit each shear web for each bay, gonna take me awhile...

Last edited by VincentJ; 08-02-2018 at 03:33 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:33 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Northeast Aerodynamics Train Aire 20

Hi Vj, Here is a photo of my new Fuse for my trainair 20 that Eddie Taylor of Action Hobbies Laserworks cut out for me. I crashed a few months ago and . He re engineered it. I need to get this finished but its on the back burner for awhile. I have to many projects going on right now.

Michael Johnston
Old 08-02-2018, 07:32 AM
Leroy Gardner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good to see someone is back at it, even if it's for someone else. Vince doesn't fool around so this is going to be another short build, think I'll stick around for it.

I notice someone don't sand the burnt wood from the fuse former's, sure you want to do that. Makes a bad glue joint.

Leroy

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 08-02-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:18 AM
mgnostic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good looking airplane. I have really come to believe that separate aileron servos is the way to go.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:04 AM
VincentJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by mkjohnston View Post

Hi Vj, Here is a photo of my new Fuse for my trainair 20 that Eddie Taylor of Action Hobbies Laserworks cut out for me. I crashed a few months ago and . He re engineered it. I need to get this finished but its on the back burner for awhile. I have to many projects going on right now.

Michael Johnston
Looks like you have a good start Mike, get working on it when you can. Maybe this thread will give you some motivation. Thanks for posting!
Old 08-02-2018, 10:07 AM
VincentJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, hello Leroy! Thrilled and honored that you will be joining us, your vast building experience will keep me on my toes!
Old 08-02-2018, 10:10 AM
VincentJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by mgnostic View Post
Good looking airplane. I have really come to believe that separate aileron servos is the way to go.
Welcome Matt! I agree, a central servo to actuate both ailerons is an antiquated method these days. I like to use two channels on my radio for my ailerons while many others use a "Y" connector and utilize only one channel. By using two channels, both ailerons can be fine tuned to their respective position on the wing(s).
Old 08-02-2018, 10:25 AM
VincentJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Got all the shear webs in place (back view).

Here's what they look like from the other side.

While not called for in the plans, I added some triangle stock for additional bracing/support on the ribs that support the landing gear mount.

Well after some considerable time cutting and fitting those compression sheets (shear webs), I got them all to fit pretty well. I added (epoxied) a small 1/8" plywood support to the back of leading edge that will give the wing alignment dowel the support that it needs. Sorry I forgot to photograph that. Soon as the epoxy sets-up I'll be able to sheet the rest of the wing as outlined on the plans.

Building Tip: While it may seem obvious, strive to get all of your wood joints as tight as they can be. Loose/ill fitting joints will fail over time. By taking the time to get your joints tight, less glue will be used and of course you will not only have a stronger plane, but you will have one that weighs less...

Last edited by VincentJ; 08-02-2018 at 10:28 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service