Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Hobby bench craftsman question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hobby bench craftsman question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 08:19 PM
kargo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Hobby bench craftsman question

A question for those of you with more craftsmanship skills than I. I am on the home stretch of building a magnetic building table. I've constructed an MDF torsion box that's actually fairly flat. I intend to glue a sheet of 16 gaugeish steel to the surface of it.

My question, is it possible for me to take the surface out of flat with an uneven coating of contact cement? Considerable time and effort went into making this thing flat, I'd hate to kill it on the home stretch. The only thing I really know about this is that the contact cement can only be removed by mechanically means...

thanks in advance for your answers! Kargo
Old 07-30-2018, 06:56 PM
BBailey711

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sorry I Read this so late.

Originally Posted by kargo
A question for those of you with more craftsmanship skills than I. I am on the home stretch of building a magnetic building table. I've constructed an MDF torsion box that's actually fairly flat. I intend to glue a sheet of 16 gaugeish steel to the surface of it.

My question, is it possible for me to take the surface out of flat with an uneven coating of contact cement? Considerable time and effort went into making this thing flat, I'd hate to kill it on the home stretch. The only thing I really know about this is that the contact cement can only be removed by mechanically means...

thanks in advance for your answers! Kargo

It is if you brush it on with globs and don't have anything heavy enough to ROLL it flat with. Contact Cement has different Viscosities. I would put it down with the flattest mat painting roller that you can buy, or buy a cheap Air Painting Gun and use that. Most Contact Cement you have a little leeway to add thinner. That's an interesting concept you came up with. I would have gone another way. I would have built the top from 1/2 in A/C Plywood, then laminated it to what they call 3/4 in "Sign Board". It is a very very hard and straight board with a 1/4 in of laminated hard material. It will last pretty much forever as long as you never get it soaking wet or store it in high Humidity area for very long periods of time. Mine has been perfectly straight for over 25 years. Then I would have bought a heavier gauge metal. Over time as you work on 16ga and you drop tool or whatever, the metal dents and gets ridges. Now if you bought a piece of 36 in long round stock about 4 to 4.5 in in Diameter with a couple friends, you could lay it down solid. Buy a good grade of contact cement also. Overtime it breaks down. I have used this Sign Board laminating for many projects including a 3.5 X 8 ft Drafting Table. It's still straight today, heavy, but straight.

I find your project so interesting I am going to try it myself. I was looking to buy a whole set of building magnets to try out anyway. Thanks for the idea. I currently use 1/2 and 5/8 in cast off steel I picked up, but it is getting too heavy for this old man to carry.

Bill Bailey