Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Balsa USA 1/4 Cub - Covering

Old 08-28-2018, 04:34 PM
R-Duhb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Balsa USA 1/4 Cub - Covering

So I'm about to start building my Cub and I had planned to cover in fabric. BUT looks like Cub Yellow no longer exists. Solartex is out of business and Coverite no longer makes it. Am I crap outta luck or is there another fabric covering out there?
Old 08-29-2018, 09:19 AM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You may have to do what others have done: Buy some lightweight aircraft covering and paint it yourself. Sig sells Coverall and has the appropriate colored dope You may want to check with Aircraft Spruce and Specialty: Pilot Supplies and Aircraft Parts from Aircraft Spruce
Hoping someone with experience in working with these fabrics will chime in here.
Loosing the supply of Solartex is a PITA so until or unless someone else decides to take up the cause. Modelers are going to have to switch thinking and use conventional covering which is more work but what can we do?
Old 08-29-2018, 09:51 AM
R-Duhb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After my post I remembered Sig Koverall. Looks like that's the best (only) option these days. Well never used that method before but it's always fun learning something new (I guess).
Old 08-29-2018, 02:17 PM
RagwingFan
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

stits lite poly system is wonderful. process very similar to full scale but lighter cloth material. I used a few times. it is a more work but perfect for a Cub. you can get rub stitching as well as le stitching. F&M Enterprises sells for RC and full scale.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:35 PM
ETpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sig Koverall should work good for you. This is my first scratch built after being way from hobby 30+ years. Koverall made me look good. Latex painted.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:13 PM
R-Duhb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by ETpilot View Post
Sig Koverall should work good for you. This is my first scratch built after being way from hobby 30+ years. Koverall made me look good. Latex painted.
How did you apply the paint? I want to use a spray gun, but my compressor is only rated at 2.6 CFM. All of the sprayers I've researched so far are 5 CFM minimum.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:05 AM
ETpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by R-Duhb View Post
How did you apply the paint? I want to use a spray gun, but my compressor is only rated at 2.6 CFM. All of the sprayers I've researched so far are 5 CFM minimum.
I sprayed it with a siphon gun that I have. It is a favorite. I do have some HVLP guns too. HVLP consumes lots of air. You need to match the gun to your compressor CFM. A low compressor CFM may mean you need to wait for the compressor to catch up. This may be a problem depending on the paint used.

Here is is the airplane. An Ugly Stik, also a favorite. The whole airplane is covered with Koverall.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:36 AM
TomCrump

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by R-Duhb View Post
If your compressor is too small, this may interest you.

I have a large compressor, but prefer to use aerosol cans.