Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Constellation Sailplane Information

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Constellation Sailplane Information

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 11:49 AM
Antares100
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Constellation Sailplane Information

Hi All,
I am looking for any information on the Constellation sailplane I don't know if it ever was kitted as such. ( I have this posed under the Sailplane group also, if that is against policy I will delete this one).
It is a 14 foot t-tail sailplane and understand it has a foam sheeted wing. I am especially interested in:

1. The datum line for the fuselage
2. Wing and stab incidence (I will assume it is 0 degrees but would like to know for sure)
3. Tow hook placement (I assume it will be close to the CG)
4 Templates for the tapered outboard section of the wing
5. Any other information you may have on this sailplane, no matter how trivial it may seem
I have searched for previous threads, but come up empty (it's possible I may have missed one). This is a BIG project, so I don't have a start date yet (or end date if it will ever end!!) but would like to have as much info as possible. I do have a fiberglass fuse for it, so some of the build is "started". I am not sure if I will use foam or capped ribs for the wing and will make that decision once I have more info on what is available.Any information would be appreciated and I don't mind paying nominal costs for postage should you be able to send anything. I love large wingspan sailplanes and would like to build this one. I would, of course share the build process here.
Thanks in advance!
Antares100__________________
P-51 Mustang Brotherhood #8
Don't use force, use a bigger hammer!
Old 09-24-2018, 11:38 PM
Brendon.Gunnell

One point I can help you with is tow hook position...30 Degrees in front of CG. Rest. sorry can't help there as I've never seen one.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:40 AM
Antares100

Hi, Brendon. Thanks for the response, but not sure what you mean by "30 degrees in front of CG. Rest". Do you mean approximately 1/3 the distance between the CG and main spar?
Old 09-26-2018, 05:14 AM
Brendon.Gunnell

Originally Posted by Antares100
Hi, Brendon. Thanks for the response, but not sure what you mean by "30 degrees in front of CG. Rest". Do you mean approximately 1/3 the distance between the CG and main spar?
No, first determine where your CG is and then place the tow hook 30 degrees in front of that, in other words, say your CG was on your main spar then your tow hook would be placed 30 degrees in front of the main spar.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:39 PM
Antares100

OK, still not understanding. Degrees would be an angle, right? Just not getting what you mean by degrees rather than a linear distance.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:47 AM
Brendon.Gunnell

OK, still not understanding. Degrees would be an angle, right? Just not getting what you mean by degrees rather than a linear distance.
That's correct, 30 degrees angle forward from the CG.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:46 PM
Antares100

Sorry Brendon, not trying to make things hard, but a 30 degree angle (positive) does not make sense, it would be above the fuselage. Any chance of a quick sketch to help me visualize?
Thanks.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:10 AM
Brendon.Gunnell

Sorry Brendon, not trying to make things hard, but a 30 degree angle (positive) does not make sense, it would be above the fuselage. Any chance of a quick sketch to help me visualize?
Thanks.
Will make a sketch and post later after scanning to my system.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:02 PM
Antares100

Thanks for your time on this.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:36 PM
Brendon.Gunnell

Thanks.
Here is a sketch
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CG and tow hook.pdf (10.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-09-2018, 12:26 PM
Antares100

Got it. Thank you for your help, Brendon!
Old 10-14-2018, 06:46 PM
Antares100

I may attempt to use foam for the wing but not sure how to cut the outboard section as it is tapered. When starting the cut, the wire will be touching the leading edge tapered to the tip. Should I keep the same angle (the wire will be slightly canted as I make the cut) as I cut through the foam or keep the wire parallel to the trailing edge as I start the cut?