Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

what do you all think

Old 11-19-2018, 10:53 AM
scottkieper
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Red face what do you all think

we need a black Friday on all building kits
Old 11-19-2018, 07:35 PM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No, please, don't tempt me. Anything on a real good sale?
Old 11-20-2018, 10:16 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey, I don't need to wait until Black Friday just ask my laser cutting services!
Old 11-20-2018, 06:28 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"Do not tempt me! I shall have such need of strength so soon." Gandalf, The Fellowship of the Ring, 1978 film.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:12 AM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Do we really need to go there? With the companies that are out there right now, you can still get almost anything you want though, in my case, I prefer to build from plans since it's easier to make changes as desired and without having to purchase material twice.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:35 AM
r ward

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree,...I see no reason to buy kits. anything you want can be had as prints and without the kit, changes cost no more than the original materials. certainly,.... without the "kit",.... it requires a bit more effort and time, but are we all in that much of a hurry to get a plane put together that a few hours cutting parts makes a difference ?.
the way I build, is in stages. i'll cut the parts for the different components of the plane, as I build. I also do a lot of planning in my head and sketching before I start cutting parts to avoid unforeseen issues such as two parts that don't/won't fit together correctly and things like that. once you've built a kit or tw, you get an idea about how things should go together,...then just take a deep reath and start buying balsa. you won't learn to scratch-build, unless you take that first dive. you can buy a lot of extra balsa for what they get for kits these days.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:23 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by r ward View Post
I agree,...I see no reason to buy kits. anything you want can be had as prints and without the kit, changes cost no more than the original materials. certainly,.... without the "kit",.... it requires a bit more effort and time, but are we all in that much of a hurry to get a plane put together that a few hours cutting parts makes a difference ?.
the way I build, is in stages. i'll cut the parts for the different components of the plane, as I build. I also do a lot of planning in my head and sketching before I start cutting parts to avoid unforeseen issues such as two parts that don't/won't fit together correctly and things like that. once you've built a kit or tw, you get an idea about how things should go together,...then just take a deep reath and start buying balsa. you won't learn to scratch-build, unless you take that first dive. you can buy a lot of extra balsa for what they get for kits these days.

You also get to select your own wood. Most kits come with middle of the road quality wood. Scratch building from plans comes out much lighter when you are able to hand select wood.