Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Kadet Seniorita mods

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kadet Seniorita mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 05:22 AM
NL Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kadet Seniorita mods

Hi everyone,

I am currently rebuilding my Seniorita from a kit after a crash. I am looking to do some modifications to the design and I’m looking for some input. I would like to move the fin/rudder aft so that the trailing edge of the fin is in line with the trailing edge of the stabilizer. Currently the rudder is further ahead so that the trailing edge of the rudder is slightly ahead of the stabilizer trailing edge so that there is no interference between the rudder and elevator. If I were to move the rudder back I would either need to taper the rudder upwards so that it doesn’t interfere with the elevator or modify the elevator so that it has a v a the middle. I am quite comfortable with either option but I am wondering the following; will moving the fin and rudder back by a couple inches have adverse aerodynamic effect?
Old 01-06-2019, 05:55 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You won't notice any difference. I've done this to make tail-dragger versions of a Kadet Senior and a Kadet Seniorita.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:35 AM
NL Flyer

Default Mods

Ok. Perfect.

Anything I should keep in mind?

I will also be adding mounting blocks for tail dragged set up. Where did you position your mounts for the main landing gear?

also, my wing has been modified for ailerons. I’ve cut the dihedral in half. Currently has strip ailerons. I would like to go to barn door and flaps. I know it doesn’t need flaps. I am doing it as an experiment and for the hell of it.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-06-2019, 09:52 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NL Flyer
Ok. Perfect.

I will also be adding mounting blocks for tail dragged set up. Where did you position your mounts for the main landing gear?

also, my wing has been modified for ailerons. I’ve cut the dihedral in half. Currently has strip ailerons. I would like to go to barn door and flaps. I know it doesn’t need flaps. I am doing it as an experiment and for the hell of it.

Any suggestions?
Sounds like you're doing the right things. I didn't add flaps to my low-wing Kadet Senior, but afterward I wished I had. I mounted the landing gear on it in the wings, because I was imitating a PT-19. Fooled at least one guy.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:38 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I actually have a fin and rudder off of a large 3D Yak on my Senior! The tail was left over from a buddies crash. The fin and rudder are air foiled and work and look good. I had to trim the bottom off of the rudder. You can do a lot to this plane and it will be forgiving.

Years ago the club I was in had MANY older members that flew and crashed Senior/Senioritas quite a bit.. It was even a bit of a joke among them selves. They did however build a bunch of beautiful planes with a lot of variants. One guy had a Senior built light with flaps, Ailerons, and Slatted leading edge.. it was SO SLOW when he throttled back.

Have fun with the Seniorita..... Its the plane I taught myself to fly powered flight on, after learning to fly gliders with a gentle Lady.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:44 AM
NL Flyer

Default Mods

Thanks for the info. I also started in the gentle lady.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:08 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NL Flyer
Ok. Perfect.

Any suggestions?
Rule of thumb I have always used with good results to convert tricycle to tail dragger is to block the fuse up into a level position and locate the mounting blocks so that the axles are directly under the leading edge of the wing.