Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

AMA Plans "Golden Era 60" Short Kit Availablity

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

AMA Plans "Golden Era 60" Short Kit Availablity

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 07:03 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default AMA Plans "Golden Era 60" Short Kit Availablity

Just came across this plan while searching for something else on the AMA plans site, according to
the article "Creative Hobbies" in Mendon, Massachusetts was cutting the short kit for this design,
sent a couple of emails to them and also tried to call them but no answer from either. Are they still in
business, if not or no longer cutting this design, does anyone know where someone might obtain a short
kit for this plan?

Many Thanks,
Bill D.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:12 AM
Bill Diedrich

Finally got in touch with Creative Hobbies, they are no longer selling the short kit as the laser cutter he
was using to cut all of the kit parts passed away unexpectedly. So I guess baring getting permission
from the AMA to cut this short kit it will have to be done by hand.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:38 AM
Bill Diedrich

Update: Received the plans for the Golden era 60, talked with Greg in the AMA Plans Dept.,
explained to him about the non-availability of the short kit, got the information I needed to proceed
with this project, set of plans on its way to have scanned and sent to a kit cutter I have been working
and talking with. So for all of you that are looking to build this beautiful aircraft, all going well it should
be available in the mid to late Spring as a CNC cut short kit. However you must purchase plans directly
from the AMA, as they retain the copy rights to the plans.

I will keep this thread updated when they are available for purchasing, BTW they will be purchased directly
from the cutter, I will disclose his information when we get the files ready for cutting.

Bill D.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:30 AM
Bill Diedrich

Talked with Steve the kit cutter that will be doing the short kit for the Golden Era 60 this morning,
he has found several plan side & top view to drawn formers errors on the plans, as draw some of the
formers are a bit short and narrower than shown on the plans top & side views. These are being adjusted
so that the kit will be correct to build on the plans. These corrections should be done within the next couple
of days and the kit will be ready for cutting. As soon as I get the word from Steve I will post it here on RCU,
I will also be doing a full build thread of this kit here in this thread.

Bill D.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:41 AM
Bill Diedrich

Got an email from Steve at Summit Model Aeronautics that the short kit for the AMA "Golden Era 60" is ready to cut.
The cut files have been corrected to reflect what is shown on the plans as they are printed by the AMA. He stated that
the cost of the short kit will be $135 (US) plus shipping cost which averages about $24 (US) Insured & tracking.

I will also be contacting Greg in the AMA Plans Dept. and letting him know that the short kit is available from
Summit Model Aeronautics.

To order the kit contact Steve at:
Summit Model Aeronautics
2 Booth Avenue
Kingston, ON K7L 4V1
Canada
Tel. (613)542-7320

[email protected]

I will be continuing this thread with a build of this CNC cut short kit from Summitt Model Aeronautics, as soon as it arrives.

Last edited by Bill Diedrich; 03-20-2019 at 03:52 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-22-2019, 04:19 AM
Bill Diedrich

A note for all that may build this aircraft from the AMA plans, the wing leading edge tubing is shown
to be .317: in outside diameter, but the place that is mentioned in the article on the AMA web site
shows a source for this tubing but it is no longer available from them, as well as the wing tube being
.505" O/D. I have asked Steve to adjust the cuts to reflect what is available which is .315" O/D and
.500" O/D from: https://www.flymarketkites.com/pultruded-carbon-tubes, They have best pricing on these
tubes, there is another source but I found they were almost $15 higher price which included the
shipping fee. Fly Market Kites had the .0315" x 36" times 2 and one of the .500" x 36" with shipping
at $50.98. Steve has informed me that my kit should be shipped by Monday or Tuesday of next week,
it takes around 4-5 day to get to me here in Louisiana.

Bill D.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:52 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The fuse shape sorta reminds me off the old 60's era hydroplane boats... Ihaven't seen the plans for this, but I would guess a wood leading edge could be used, then carvd to shape like most plans. It is a nice looking vintage plane.. would be a great electric I bet.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:37 PM
Bill Diedrich

I agree with you on the 60's hydro looks, my favorite era of boats, built a few scale round bow and shovel nose
hydro's in days gone by, but the model boating scene in this area of the US, Louisiana is all but dead, reason I
went back to my other passion, model aircraft.

The plans call for the carbon tube leading edge which is in turn wrapped with balsa sheeting, all the ribs are cut from
lite ply with the leading edge cut out for the tube. Quite a unique design concept, but could be modified if you were to
hand cut out the parts, changing the nose of all of the wing ribs to reflect a normal D-shaped leading edge.
The 30's style of the design of this aircraft is what has drawn me to it, they also have the plans available to build
a biplane version of this same airplane, although I haven't seen those plans yet I may invest in them after I build
this model.
Bill D.

Last edited by Bill Diedrich; 03-22-2019 at 07:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-23-2019, 08:35 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What ever you do don't go on the OUTERZONE plan site and start looking at vintage plans ! So many odd, obnoxious, and amazing looking creations

It had to be fun back then when the original designs showed up fresh all the time.. the good fliers, and bad.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:31 AM
Bill Diedrich

Originally Posted by foodstick
What ever you do don't go on the OUTERZONE plan site and start looking at vintage plans ! So many odd, obnoxious, and amazing looking creations

It had to be fun back then when the original designs showed up fresh all the time.. the good fliers, and bad.
I know what you mean about "Outerzone". I have to keep myself from ordering more kits or short kit to build as I currently have too many to build now as it is.
I have approximately 8 short kits & 5 boxed kits to build, along with 2 more ARF's to assemble, plus a half finished Byron RV-4 to complete! At 72 I'm thinking
of unloading some at the next swap meet we have.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:09 AM
pmcafee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking airplane. It's now on my list. Thanks for posting this.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:07 AM
Bill Diedrich

OK the short kit arrived from Steve @ Summit Model Aeronautics, arrived in pristine condition,
packed very well with some foam and bubble wrap for space fillers and to keep one of the sheets
from moving around. Will be posting some pics later today of the contents.

Bill D.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:13 AM
SMA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Following!

Hey Bill,

I'm glad the kit arrived safely and I'll be following your build closely for any adjustments that may need to be made. Looking forward to seeing it come together!

Steve
Summit Model Aeronautics

Last edited by SMA; 04-04-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:18 AM
Bill Diedrich

The short kit was well packed to avoid anything moving around in the box as per the 1st photo,
and on the second and third a key to what the parts were and a note for the builder to some
changes made to show some inaccuracies found on the plans.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received my cowl & wheel pants from Fiberglass Specialties and the engine an
SK90 from Kangke, Carbon Tube for leading edge & wing joiner.

Last edited by Bill Diedrich; 04-04-2019 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 09-17-2019, 07:15 PM
dhable
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Bill,

I am very interested in obtaining this plan and short kit. Did you ever finish yours?
Old 09-18-2019, 02:44 AM
Bill Diedrich

Originally Posted by dhable
Hi Bill,

I am very interested in obtaining this plan and short kit. Did you ever finish yours?
No, didn't really ever get started, life has been a whirlwind here lately, wife had a stroke, was hospitalized for 10 days.
Then I came down with bronchial pneumonia and also had a light stroke 3 weeks later, both of us are on the mend,
and I will hopefully get back to the build in the next week or two, want to get this one done. Unfortunately I have been
told by my doctor that my stroke has affected my reflexes and vision, so I will be selling the plane once I get it completed.

Bill D.
Old 03-01-2024, 12:48 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

Default Short Kit supplier/source/5-year update

Originally Posted by Bill Diedrich
Update: Received the plans for the Golden era 60, talked with Greg in the AMA Plans Dept.,
explained to him about the non-availability of the short kit, got the information I needed to proceed
with this project, set of plans on its way to have scanned and sent to a kit cutter I have been working
and talking with. So for all of you that are looking to build this beautiful aircraft, all going well it should
be available in the mid to late Spring as a CNC cut short kit. However you must purchase plans directly
from the AMA, as they retain the copy rights to the plans.

I will keep this thread updated when they are available for purchasing, BTW they will be purchased directly
from the cutter, I will disclose his information when we get the files ready for cutting.

Bill D.
Bill D.: Whatever you've accomplished and contributed to this effort to date, thank you! This thread convinced me to build this "aviation history-influenced" model; I ordered a plans set from AMA which arrived last week.
I was wondering if you could update any progress you've made since your posting? I'm stalled at the build kit make or buy decision point. Knowing there's a viable short kit source would be helpful. I look forward to any remarks you might want to contribute.

Cheers, Mike W.