Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Super Kaos from Lazerworks Short Kit.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:44 PM
Glowgeek

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's one sweet looking canopy Matt. I guess the front hatch kept you from moving it any further forward. I like'm up front a bit more to help with KE performance. Turtle decks help a little too but then you kinda lose that vintage pattern look. Looking forward to seeing a maiden vid. Even better, a vid once she's trimmed in!

Did the spinner get some of that high dollar paint too?

Last edited by Glowgeek; 06-12-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:14 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Matt, Today I started my day off at the local water park with my wife and son slide down a very cold water slide and then it start pouring down rain and I just got colder! It took me a half day to warm up from that adventure but it was wellworth it as my son was so excited to finally get to go to the water park! Wow that looks really cool and am working on my TH Kaos ARF tonight and I have a canopy that is glued and screwed down the top of the fuse behind the firewall. I wanted to get a pilot and build a small Balsa console and then cover the interior of it with black covering and glue the pilot to the fuse. But I might do your technique instead and paint it black! I didn't mean to hijack your build as it looks fantastic Matt!
Thank You
Michael Johnston.

Last edited by mkjohnston; 06-12-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:01 PM
mgnostic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Glowgeek View Post
That's one sweet looking canopy Matt. I guess the front hatch kept you from moving it any further forward. I like'm up front a bit more to help with KE performance. Turtle decks help a little too but then you kinda lose that vintage pattern look. Looking forward to seeing a maiden vid. Even better, a vid once she's trimmed in!

Did the spinner get some of that high dollar paint too?
No, I managed to scrounge up a yellow spinner. I hear what you are saying about the canopy location. Aesthetically, I think it looks better as well. It looked nicer with the front of the canopy at about where the front edge of the hatch is. But sometimes one change leads to a whole raft of compromises. I'm not a big fan of the wooden beam engine mounts but different mounts would have allowed the nose gear to be mounted on the front side of the firewall and avoided the need for a hatch or I could have put the hatch on the belly. There is still a lot of canopy area at the CG so it should still provide some benefit in a knife edge.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:20 PM
VincentJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Beautiful work on the canopy Matt. It really looks great on the fuselage.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:29 AM
Glowgeek

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just noticed something distinctly different about the "Super" Kaos, the rudder and elevator do not share the same hinge line like the other Kaos's.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:10 AM
mgnostic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just noticed something distinctly different about the "Super" Kaos, the rudder and elevator do not share the same hinge line like the other Kaos's.
Yeah, it's interesting how the Kaos family and their predecessors evolved. Canopies and rudders move and change shape around an airfoil that stays pretty constant. The original build article speaks of moving the elevator hinge line forward to help with spins and the figure M maneuver but it also allows for more rudder throw. It would be interesting to have the whole Kaos family of planes together to fly one after another for a head to head comparison but I don't know if I am enough of an aerobatic pilot to tell one from another.

Michael, black and silver seem to be common colors for painting the inside of canopies but I have also seen it done in colors that are complimentary to the paint scheme. As long as you get a bead of glue around the base of the canopy the paint on the inside doesn't have to be fuel proof.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:49 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HI Matt, Did you say you used regular Testors model paint to paint your canopy? I want to paint my black and use my new high dollar air brush that I got last year. Does Testors have a thinner where I can thin out the black to spray it. I also have model car body mask and I could mask out the frame like you did! cool! ttl Michael
Old 06-13-2019, 02:17 PM
mgnostic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by mkjohnston View Post
HI Matt, Did you say you used regular Testors model paint to paint your canopy? I want to paint my black and use my new high dollar air brush that I got last year. Does Testors have a thinner where I can thin out the black to spray it. I also have model car body mask and I could mask out the frame like you did! cool! ttl Michael
Michael, For the inside of the canopy I just used the stuff that comes in the four inch tall rattle cans. If you are using your airbrush then there should be an appropriate thinner in the display where you picked up your Testors paint. The thinner type is important as regular old Testors uses mineral spirits while the acrylics such as Tamiya thin with water or alcohol. If you aren't certain it is best to go with whatever is sold as being compatible with the paint. Avoid using lacquers as they tend to attack the plastic of the canopy. Paint on the outside of the canopy, will of course, need to be fuel proof.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:26 PM
Glowgeek

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Matt, just wanted to take a minute and thank you for this build thread, your building tenacity and your thorough method of depicting the build. Many build threads like this end suddenly when the project is very near completion leaving the readers with a dry taste in their mouths and a guess how things turned out.

Lonnie

PS: Are those Astro Hogs in the background of your pics?

Last edited by Glowgeek; 06-13-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:15 PM
mgnostic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Matt, just wanted to take a minute and thank you for this build thread, your building tenacity and your thorough method of depicting the build. Many build threads like this end suddenly when the project is very near completion leaving the readers with a dry taste in their mouths and a guess how things turned out.

Lonnie

PS: Are those Astro Hogs in the background of your pics?
I appreciate that you have followed the build. I'm not entirely innocent as I have a couple of builds that have been on long term hiatus. Generally though, if it can be finished I usually do. I like to try to say a little something about how an airplane flies. The Kaos family are well proven designs so I'm pretty confident about how this one will perform. I've only ever had one airplane that couldn't be made to fly. There have been a couple that were challenging in one way or another and a few that were just too boring to keep. I think it is important to give a potential builder some idea of what to expect regarding how that plane handles.
Airplanes in the background: No Astro Hogs although I've always wanted one. The airplanes in the corner are a BUSA N-17 and a BUSA Sopwith Camel. The airplanes under the table are an Aristocraft Staggerwing and a GS Stinson SR-6 Reliant. The Camel and Reliant are currently under construction. The N-17 needs minor repairs and the Staggerwing is on the disabled list.