Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG Liberty Sport

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG Liberty Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 07:21 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Especially when each successive plane gets bigger and bigger. This plane is actually the smallest plane I have built. The entire wing is no bigger than one panel for the B-25 I am building.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:29 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Especially when each successive plane gets bigger and bigger. This plane is actually the smallest plane I have built. The entire wing is no bigger than one panel for the B-25 I am building.
It's not just the size of the project you're building, it's the number of previous projects you have to work around. My garage is full of projects that I'm having to move just to find room for the next project. It also doesn't help to have the wife put some of her things out in the garage so she will have more room for her next project as well
Old 09-06-2019, 05:35 AM
acdii

I have a Hanger trailer for the planes. Only those in need of repair or in process of being built are in the shop. I have two in there now that will free up quite a bit of space if I were to reassemble them and get them flight ready. I need new servos for both, and the power box in one went bad, only one battery bank powers on. I should just slap the S3010's into the P-47 and be done with it, then I can put it in the trailer and have the room I need for a spray booth.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:21 PM
acdii

Made some progress today. Got the lower wing center section taped so nice and solid now, and have it bolted in place. Got the stab aligned and the epoxy is curing. Now need to trace out the wing fairing and import that into the computer so I can laser cut the plywood sheet and get the fairings done, and then attack the fuse shaping. Since the elevator has to be hinged before the fin gets glued in, I will just pin it temporarily to block shape where is joins the fuse at the very tail, and then I can move onto the top wing. I also need to study where the tail wire bracing attaches so that I can put the reinforcements in place. I also want to use different hinges for the ailerons and tail, looks like pin hinges will work for the tail, but the ailerons may need some modification to make hing pins work.

Pics to come, have to take some first .
Old 09-11-2019, 08:11 AM
acdii

Here are the latest pics. The stab is epoxied in place, shimmed to be level and squared to the fuse, following the plans incidences, which I need to find my incidence meter to verify. I will do that, and then get the thin ply cut to shape for the wing fairings and get that done next.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:58 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Getting close!
Old 11-11-2019, 11:59 AM
acdii

Well, here is the latest update on the build. Been busy with many other pressing projects, so not much building was done, and what was done I didn't get pictures of.

Both wings are built and aligned. Top wing just needs a little touch up of the top sheet and it can be covered, bottom wing needs the ailerons cut out, some final sanding ant it can be covered too. Will need to make the N struts first so they can be aligned properly before covering. Elevator, stab and fin are covered, the elevator is hinged and attached and the last thing I did was glue the fin on. So some final sanding, install of the pushrods to the tail and cut out the cockpits, and the fuse can be covered. Then it is onto the engine and radio install, and final painting, which I haven't decided yet if I want to go all dope, or latex and clear coat over dope. I may do a blend of both, but have to see how clear dope sits over latex first. I just don't want to buy two different quarts of gray as it has two shades in RL.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:47 PM
acdii

Majority of covering done, just the cabanes and N struts left. Wings have the first coats of Nitrate done, one more coat to fill the weave and then Rand-O-Fill. Fuse has the second Rand-O-Fill coat on, two more coats and it is ready fro the color coats.

Still have the cockpits to make, but will do that last.

A quick look at the plane with the wings. I wont be opening the bolt holes in the wings until full done, this way there wont be dope in the hols and threads, and I plan to put reinforcement rings on the bottom wing too.

I have also swapped the Gemini, which would need 7 ounces of weight in the tail to balance, with a YS 63S. If everything goes right, Zero dead weight to balance it.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:40 AM
acdii

Some pics of progress

Old 01-02-2020, 07:55 AM
acdii

Nearing completion. Need another 4 oz of Lemon Yellow to finish the top wing, and silver brazing wire for the N struts, and the final thing then is the rigging, and it will be ready to fly. If you look, you can see that the cowl is very close to the actual one where I split it. I still have to add the baffles and the fuel dots to the cowl too.

Balanced perfectly

Old 02-14-2020, 08:59 PM
carddfann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Color

Originally Posted by acdii
Nearing completion. Need another 4 oz of Lemon Yellow to finish the top wing, and silver brazing wire for the N struts, and the final thing then is the rigging, and it will be ready to fly. If you look, you can see that the cowl is very close to the actual one where I split it. I still have to add the baffles and the fuel dots to the cowl too.

Balanced perfectly

Beautiful job! What shade of gray did you use for fuse?
After completion, how much did it weigh dry?
Old 02-15-2020, 07:51 AM
acdii

Thanks. I haven't weighed it yet, but it is fairly light, would have been much heavier if I had stuck with the OS Gemini II for power, its a 3 pound engine. Still waiting on the dope for the top wing, but it is otherwise finished. I may or may not put the wing braces in, I have material to make them, but I don't plan to enter any contests with it, so may not bother.

Old 02-16-2020, 04:53 AM
cubcrasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome job, two thumbs up!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2020, 09:46 AM
EF

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Gorgeous model!
Just the kind of model that got me attracted to this hobby in the first place.
Well done.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:12 AM
acdii

Finally got the dope and finished the plane. I also added a remote GP jack.

Old 10-17-2020, 05:39 AM
FlyerInOKC

Fantastic! So when do you plan the maiden flight?
Old 10-17-2020, 07:04 AM
acdii

Well, unless we get a decent day on some upcoming weekend, not until next year. Extremely windy today, going to be in the 40's tomorrow, so doesn't look good. That and the guy who mows the field has snowbirded south for the winter.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:10 AM
FlyerInOKC

SO he trades snow for hurricanes!
Old 10-17-2020, 07:55 AM
acdii

Yeah, but hurrimacanes are warmer than snow.