Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

COVERING MATERIAL

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

COVERING MATERIAL

Old 10-05-2003, 08:50 PM
rcplanes711

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COVERING MATERIAL

A GUY IN OUR CLUB RECENTLY SHOWED A PLANE COVERED IN A IRON ON CLOTH LIKE COVERING WHICH YOU PAINT. I DON,T REMEMBER THE NAME OF IT OR WHERE TO BUY IT. CAN ANY ONE HELP ME ?
Old 10-05-2003, 11:15 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: COVERING MATERIAL

It may be one of 2 or 3 different types. The best (in my opinion) iron on material covering is Super Coverite. If that's what you want, get it quick from Tower Hobbies/Great Planes. They're doing a close out sale right now.

Get the Big rolls, and get a couple. The stuff will last on the shelf forever. I had a roll that took me 10 years to use up after I first opened the roll. The last foot was as good as the first.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:27 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any of the tex's work well; Solartex from BalsaUSA, Colortex, Worldtex etc. You can also use Ceconite from Aircraft Spruce and Specialties which works very well and is probably the least expensive but most labor intensive as you have to put on an adhesive to the structure first. My favorite is Solartex--way superior to Coverite in MHO.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:18 PM
2 Piece-RCA

Silversurfer, I looked all over Towers web page for a "close out sale" for Coverite but couldn't find it. Whats the close out part number.
2 piece
Old 10-06-2003, 08:26 PM
rcplanes711

THANKS GUY'S I THINK RODNEY IS RIGHT IT WAS SOLARTEX. I WILL TRY IT AND LET YOU KNOW.
PS CAN I PAINT IT WITH LATEX? DO I NEED TO USE PRIMER FIRST
Old 10-06-2003, 11:08 PM
averen

You probably can paint it but there is a very large color selection out there...you'll probably be able to find the color you're looking for. I wouldn't recommend painting it. Since it's a flexable film the paint will tend to chip off after a while.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:14 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've painted Solartex with just about every type of paint with good success. My favorite is no longer available--Petit's epoxy paint--but, if you are using gasoline most any inexpensive paint works well, even the cheap spray can stuff from the local thrift shop. I do not use primer and do not have any paint chipping or peeling problems. A top coat of some kind is very desireable on any of the cloth type coverings as the weave will hold dirt very well and make cleaning difficult as compared the the films.