Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Inverted firewall on Sig SE........

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Inverted firewall on Sig SE........

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 02:00 AM
MicFarlow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inverted firewall on Sig SE........

OK, it's a funny little story.......

First time building this one, I put the firewall in backwards. I nutted the bolts on the back side and had no problems, untill the second flight, forgot to raise antenna......DOH! Totaled front end, back nearly to the TE of the wings. Wing's minor damage, all else good.

No problem, figure I'll fix the firewall in the rekit. Well, after getting everything cut out and mated up, It's time to install the firewall, which this time I get right side out.......only to find out after the epoxy dries, it's upside down. Well, after settling down and surveying the damage, it really doesn't look too bad. Only real problem is that the motor mounts on the firewall are not centered and with the firewall upside down, the mounts are about 1/4 inch high. I talked to a few guys no one really thought it would be a problem.

So, I take it out today for the first flight. Ground check is good, everything dialed in correctly, CG on the spars. Man, the thing was impossible to fly. I got it on the ground and cleaned out my pants and got to wondering..... Since it was pulling up and wouldn't trim in level flight, do I need some down thrust?

I know it's a long story for a simple question, But any suggestions would be helpful. I think this will be a fun plane to fly, I just don't want to rekit it again.

Thanks,

Mick
Old 04-28-2002, 02:46 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Sounds more like a balance problem. Has anything changed that would affect the CG?
Old 04-28-2002, 03:11 AM
MicFarlow

Thanks Wayne for the reply and I thought the same thing, untill a few minutes ago and I found someting on the plane that has me second guessing a few things.

When I was looking at the plane I looked at the tail feathers and thought.....hmmmm, the receiver antenna sure looks funny. It was wrapped around the tail wheel and part of the insulation was rubbed thru. I didn't notice it when I was cleaning the plane up after I was done changing my pants. Looking back on it, the way it was acting was very reminiscient of a reception problem. I've had those before, but because I forgot to raise the antenna.

On reflection, I think I might add a little down thrust for safety's sake and route the antenna another way. It's a JR reciever and it's kinda long. I might seal it against the bottom side of the horizontal stab or something along those lines.

By the way, the CG is right on the main spar, where the plans call for it. I haven't started moving it back since it's only been in the air a few times and I haven't had time to really trim it out.

Thanks,

Mick