Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Mud Duck Aviation

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Mud Duck Aviation

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 07:33 PM
barrelracer
My Feedback: (99)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mud Duck Aviation

What ever happened to M.D.A I allways wanted to get one of their large planes ,but you never hear any thing about them any more.If any body has the low down I would like to hear it
Old 10-14-2003, 09:13 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Mud Duck Aviation

The rumour was that they went under.

They had some complaints apparently taht their planes (the cricket) didn't fly.. poorly built form shoddy materials (foam core)..

pitty, 'cuze I thought them neat too, but I remeber reading some bad posts about the cricket..
Old 11-29-2003, 04:04 PM
Mud Duck Aviation
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: <span class=

Hi my name is Greg, I purchased Mud Duck Aviation from Tom Chipley several months ago. I will be offering kits again in the near future and I am offering plans w. instructions for the Mud Duck Mk II and the Agri-Duck as well as Graphics for them too.

I still need to set up shop and get organized. I will be operating the company on a part time basis for a while before cutting lose. I will be setting up a website for the company as soon as I can muster where interested individuals can get some information.

I would love to hear from anyone who has suggestions to improve the models they have built, I would be more than happy to update the product lines with better building suggestions. If any of you would like me to include photos of your duck(s) on the website I will be setting up, feel free to send pictures and any relevent information to me at [email protected]" [email protected]

I myself have built and flown the Agri-Duck and have friends with the Mud Duck Mk I and CricKit. Together we will try to improve the line and are looking at some new models to possibly introduce.

The current line currently includes:

Mud Duck Mk II (kits & plans)
Agri Duck (kits & plans)
Mud Duck Sport .40/.60 (kit)
CricKit (kit)

"On the Drawing Board":

Bipe Duck
Cub Duck
Improved CricKit (more stable)
Electrified versions of nearly all models

Thanks,
Greg

[email protected] [email protected]
Old 11-30-2003, 10:21 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My suggestion is to go back to the Mk1 Rev0 mud duck, which had all Balsa construction. Plans published in May '93 MA, if memory serves. I had one and it was the sweetest flyer I ever had. It was a little weak where the vert stab joined the fuselage, but that was a point that sustained damage when you hit something, not in normal flight.

I built a second wing for mine, with no dihedral and ailerons. I liked it. If I build another, it will also have a flat wing and will go on floats.

Foam-core construction is one of those evolutionary experiments that dead-ended. If you want to make a non-balsa airplane, Coroplast is the man-made material that has shown to be suitable for airplanes. Once foam-core is crinkled, its structural integrity is lost.

I had a Crikit, too. I Tried to fly it several times. It crashed on takeoff every time. I think the decalage was off. The weird live-axle landing gear was also a factor, because it made it unstable on the ground. But the plane would not fly even when I tried to hand-launch it. Disappointing.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:04 PM
whulbert

Sure sounds good to me as I want to build one with epoxy and make it strong. See you on the web soon. warren
Old 03-22-2007, 07:57 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

You could leave the Agri well enough alone, the way it was if you will, I would love to have another. I flew the old one with a Saito .80, I would like to fly the next one with a PAW .60 Diesel.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:18 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

I was given the large one with the conventional tail. Anyone know where the balance point is?
TNX, Bruce
Old 11-17-2007, 10:19 PM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Mud Duck Aviat

Hi my name is Greg, I purchased Mud Duck Aviation from Tom Chipley several months ago. I will be offering kits again in the near future and I am offering plans w. instructions for the Mud Duck Mk II and the Agri-Duck as well as Graphics for them too.

I still need to set up shop and get organized. I will be operating the company on a part time basis for a while before cutting lose. I will be setting up a website for the company as soon as I can muster where interested individuals can get some information.

I would love to hear from anyone who has suggestions to improve the models they have built, I would be more than happy to update the product lines with better building suggestions. If any of you would like me to include photos of your duck(s) on the website I will be setting up, feel free to send pictures and any relevent information to me at [email protected]" [email protected]

I myself have built and flown the Agri-Duck and have friends with the Mud Duck Mk I and CricKit. Together we will try to improve the line and are looking at some new models to possibly introduce.

The current line currently includes:

Mud Duck Mk II (kits & plans)
Agri Duck (kits & plans)
Mud Duck Sport .40/.60 (kit)
CricKit (kit)

"On the Drawing Board":

Bipe Duck
Cub Duck
Improved CricKit (more stable)
Electrified versions of nearly all models

Thanks,
Greg

[email protected] [email protected]

Sounds great Greg. I hope you can make something better from the Duck line. I was planning on getting a Cricket awhile ago, but with all of the bad press, I held off. I look forward to see what you do.

Now if someone would pick up the Clancy line...
Old 11-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds great Greg. I hope you can make something better from the Duck line. I was planning on getting a Cricket awhile ago, but with all of the bad press, I held off. I look forward to see what you do.
Bolar,

Check the date on that post.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 11-18-2007, 12:36 PM
gzkpez

Default RE: Mud Duck Aviation

This is their new website http://www.mudduckaviation.com/ it looks good.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:02 PM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Scar

Bolar,

Check the date on that post.

Good luck,
Dave Olson

Ha, I got sucked into that one! From the web site it looks like things are up and running. No Crickit though.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:00 PM
stefanP
My Feedback: (2)

Here is my build thread on the ezone. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773143

stefanP
Old 12-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Mud Duck Aviation

From the web site it looks like things are up and running. No Crickit though.

Hey Bolar,

Interested in a CricKit? I scraped together a bunch of CricKit kits from left over inventory. The kits are complete except for (2) 1/8" x 2" x 10" sheet balse, (2) 1/4" x 1/2" x 4 3/4" Spruce, (1) 1/2" Tri-stock x 12" balsa, and a few of the kits are also missing (2) 1/4" square stock x 8" balsa. This is less than $10 of materials if you were buying full pieces.

Anyone interested in one of these kits I have a limited number available for $55 plus $10 shipping. I will update the website soon to reflect a few (CricKit) kits are available. When these are gone they will probably not be available anymore as a kit. I am working on making plans available in the future.

Other kits are not available. I have some inventory from the Sport kits and may offer some partial kits soon that will need the builder to supply some of the balsa sticks and sheets and dowels. But this too will be a limited number, it will be from what pieces are remaining in my inventory, I will not be restocking any materials to complete the kits.

All the Models are available as plans (Mud Duck MkII, Agri-Duck, Mud Duck Sport) and the CricKit should be in the future (I still want to give the option of making it more stable), and already drawn but not printed yet is the new Agri-Duck Sport plans. This is a 3/4 scale version of the full size Agri-Duck but the plans were redrawn to accomidate the same building materials. The span is just over 80". They should be available for delivery soon.

Just an FYI guys, MDA is just a small, (very) part time operation. My efforts are primarily just to keep the design alive and well there really isn't much money in it for me this way. So if you are interested in purchasing stuff keep in mind I work a regular full-time job and just do this in my spare time, so I try to get things out and respond to questions as soon as I can, but ask you to email me and not call unless you can't email me.

Thanks,
Greg

[email protected]
[link=http://www.MudDuckAviation.com]www.MudDuckAviation.com[/link]

PS Bolar, just wondering about your avitar... you a Health Physicist?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:18 PM
giantscalejim
My Feedback: (50)

I found my plans for the Agri Duck, but can not find the instruction manual. Does anyone have one they can scan and email to me? Let me know as I would like to build another one. I built the first one years ago, but crashed it. Now I want to give it another go!!

Jim
Old 02-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Mud Duck Aviation

Hi Jim,

I sent you a response to your PM.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 04-11-2009, 08:11 PM
sean sutherland
My Feedback: (2)

Hi All ,
Just Ordered MUD DUCK MK2 Plans (and Decals) Plan on doing gas 26cc chinese engine anyone else done the same id like to see some pictures i also plan on doing the Ailerons as i need to be able to Navigate this big bird thru trees here and so far i can do it with profiles too easy but this will be my first giant to the backyard....LOL should be fun ordered my tyres (inner Tubes) a whole $5.00 each off ebay, Any Hints would be much appreciated with mods to the design Gas or Aileron issues

I import and sell ARFs mainly 3D profiles and Aerobatic Models but when i saw this Duck i just had to be part of it, Greg if you want to do an ARF let me know, my factory in China can do it all.

Cheers Sean

Line those Ducks Up!