Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Bill Evans' Pole Star

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Bill Evans' Pole Star

Old 05-03-2007, 11:38 AM
KrisG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bill Evans' Pole Star

Hi everybody,

Very strange I do not find anything about the Simitar EPO or Polestar EPO, not even in the Claude Vest's thread that is mentioned. I once saw a picture of one in RCM magazine, and found one picture on the web. It has reduced span and looks very very "racy" - a real thorougbred, and as its name says "Expert Pilots Only". Has anyone of you seen one? Sketches?

Best regards,

Kris

P.S. i have a Wiseguy, built from the magazine plan i blew up ( all straight lines!). Flies like a dream!
Old 05-03-2007, 12:23 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Ploestar EPO:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2402682/tm.htm

Mark
Old 05-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

The front plane in the diamond formation is the Pole Star X or EPO.

My Pole Star with a Tower .75 is fairly fast. It also has a fairly low wing loading so I think you could shorten the span and make it faster without having the short chord wing tips that might be prone to stalling.

At 6.38# & 712.5 sq in, I have a wing loading of just over 20. I could cut the spanfrom 50" to 36". This would give an area of 513 sq in and a wing loading of 28.65 oz/sq ft. This was calculated using the same weight. It would be slightly less.

You could also leave the rudder servo off and the canopy and make the elevons smaller. I have 2 1/4" wide ones for lots of control. I'd probably add fillets and leave off the gear and hand launch or use launch rails on my table like my deltas.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60263.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	677125  
Old 05-03-2007, 09:27 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman

The front plane in the diamond formation is the Pole Star X or EPO.
Does anybody have a lead on a provider for the EPO plans? In the AMA biography of Bill Evans, it does not show the EPO as being one of the published versions and RCM does not list it. They show the Pole Star, but not the EPO version. Even some decent dimensions or a magazine sized sheet would be enough to make it work for me...

Thanks,
Mark