Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Best way to paint a cowl high-gloss?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Best way to paint a cowl high-gloss?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 03:44 PM
dave_anderson
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to paint a cowl high-gloss?

Hello,
I am getting ready to paint a cowling for my new Extra. It will be an all-white color. I want it to be as bright and glossy as white Monokote. I have used Lustrekote paints before and found them OK, but I want the mirror finish on this one. How do I get this high gloss look? Oh, and have it be as gasoline proof as possible.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-16-2003, 04:14 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Best way to paint a cowl high-gloss?

If you're willing to spend a few $$$ take it to the local car body / paint shop. they should be able to:
1) match the color and gloss with PPG paint (it's car paint!! so it's bound to be fuel and weather proof!)
2) do a superb job. (no runs, blotches, hairs, etc... if it's a fiberglass cowl, even bake the paint on!)
Old 10-16-2003, 04:20 PM
clm2206

Your choice should be polyurethane paints and an airbrush. I'd rather use lacquer based paints, they dry faster than water based ones. First sand the cowling with 320 grit, then spray it with adhesion promoter. Spray the primer, two coats, 600 grit wet sand between coats. Then apply color coat, enough to cover primer color. Let dry and apply two or three clear coats, using 1000 grit wet sand between coats. It will shine. Allow the paint to dry at least five days.

Tip: when applying any coat always try to put enough material to just cover the surface, this is called the "sticky" stage, then push back harder your airbrush and let more material come out. This is called a "wet" coat. Remember, one sticky, two wet coats. Let dry. Then follow the next step.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:52 PM
Olderndirt

Unquestionably, the highest gloss can be gotten by applying a color base coat and then top coating it with clear. I use the PPG urethane products. They are a two-part mix using a catalyst. They spray much like laquer and cure rapidly.

When you spray on the color, it will look terrible! Don't let this bother you a bit - when you top coat it with the clear it will amaze you.

Oh, BTW - did I mention that this stuff costs an arm and a leg? As a previous poster suggested, it will be cheaper for you to check out your local autobody shop and see if they will spray it out for you. The smaller the amount of paint you buy, the more expensive it is per ounce. In the quantity needed for a cowl, you might as well be buying jewelry! Well, not quite, but you get the idea. In gallon quantities for my full-scale plane, I was spending over $150/gal. It runs a lot more if you just want a half-pint.

Olderndirt
Old 10-16-2003, 06:00 PM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

Use a good quality 2 part auto paint and then clear coat it.
The modern 2 part paints dry prety fast too.
As mentioned above a auto paint shop would have the best expertise.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:03 PM
LearjetMech

You could always use some aircraft High Solids. We use Sherwin Williams Jet-Glo or Acry-glo. Matterhorn White is the most common corporate jet white out there!!
Old 10-17-2003, 01:28 PM
clm2206

Olderndirt

I agree with you. The first time I´ve painted a Fury canopy in four colors, before applying clear coat I was totally dissapointed, I thought I had made a serious mistake. Check and re-check instrictions, and everything was ok. Believe me, I almost stripped that paint away, but finally applied clear coat and it was incerdible. From night to day. Unbelievable.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:39 PM
dave_anderson

Could I use these Lusterkote paints since I have experience with them, then take the cowl to a professional to apply the clearcoat? Would there be a problem with using Lusterkote and auto clearcoat over the top? I always like to colormatch of the Lusterkote, just want more sheen.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:53 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also recommend the automotive 2-part paints w/ clear coat. If you insist on using Lustre Kote, warm the paint in some hot water before spraying it to thin the paint. That will reduce the "sputtering" from the nozzle and it will lay flatter with less orangepeel. After it dries for a few days, wet sand it and use the Lustre Kote Crystal Clear over top. It may not be as perfect as the automotive, but it will be close. Good luck,

Pilgrim
Old 10-17-2003, 07:03 PM
dave_anderson

what grit should I use to wet sand paint like Lusterkote?
Old 10-17-2003, 07:18 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start w/ 400, then 600, then ultrafine 1200. You will be surprised how much orangepeel will show up once you start color sanding. Don't spray it if it's too cold, it comes out like liquified rubber.

Hope this helps,

Pilgrim
Old 10-17-2003, 08:51 PM
dave_anderson

I'm stationed with the Air Force in Okinawa. Lucky for me it's 85 and sunny today! I am fortunate to not have to deal with the cold weather. No building today, I'm off to the field!!!! YAHOO! Thanks for the great advice.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:36 PM
Condor

always like to colormatch of the Lusterkote, just want more sheen.
A labor-intensive alternative to the clearcoat approach suggested here, is to paint it with your usual lustrekote (warming the can is a great piece of advice) and then buff the h**l out of it with some rubbing compound. A soft rag, and *a little* rubbing compound at a time will do wonders. If that's not shiny enough, and you're still in the mood, a little auto wax polish should leave it glossy enough to shave off of it...

Cheers,

Juan M. Villaveces