Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Cloud Dancer 40, flight report

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Cloud Dancer 40, flight report

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 12:10 PM
CAM2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cloud Dancer 40, flight report

Well, long overdue. My flight report with the Cloud Dancer 40. I started building this plane five years ago and shelved it for other projects. It was completely framed, just needed to cover and finish. It’s covered with Sig coverall and painted with a base of dope, too seal, and enamel, brushed. Clear coated with hobbypoxy satin. I drew on panel lines, the picture is not of high quality .
Powered by a well used YS45 with a YS stock muffler, this motor provides plenty of power, one of my all time favorite motors. Takeoff was smooth as silk, very little rudder needed to keep things straight. A few clicks of right trim and she was flying level. I found this model has a wide range in speed. It has plenty of get-up and go, but landings can be made very slow. It remains me a lot of my ex-Hammer. An excellent choice for any pilot looking to step-up from the high wing trainers. I hope to keep this one as my every weekend work horse.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87163.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	69288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18269.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	69289  
Old 10-22-2003, 07:00 PM
phread59

Default RE: Cloud Dancer 40, flight report

Hello Cam2:

I just finished my order to Lone Star Balsa today. I have the plans upstairs. I only have 9 ribs to make a templates for and I can start cutting wood. I got a spanky new Saito 80 to go in it. Have a new 9C futaba for guidance. Can't wait to finish it.

Mark Shuman
Old 10-23-2003, 07:31 AM
CAM2

Default RE: Cloud Dancer 40, flight report

Mark-
Best to you and the project. I built the CD40 to the plans. This aircraft as a fantastic wing, strong, light weight. I have read CD’s are tough to land because even at idle they continue to fly but I have found the sink rate to be spot-on. I was going to sheet the bottom fuselage for added strength but found this unnecessary. I enjoyed building this plane, and hope to one day build the 60 size version.
Good luck-Glenn