Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Firewall Question?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Firewall Question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 03:58 PM
dante0501

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firewall Question?

What should I do with the firewall behind the engine? Should I coat it with something or try to cover it. What do you guys do? Its a Hog Bipe Kit. Thanks.

Dion
Old 10-26-2003, 06:13 PM
Miloh

Default RE: Firewall Question?

If your talking about the firewall that the engine mount is mounted to you can use some 5 min epoxy and paint it on with a brush, or you can use some thin CA being careful not to let it run off onto your covering. If using thin CD do not use any kicker on it, let it dry naturally.

Miloh.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:02 PM
dante0501

Thanks Miloh, but I have found that 5 min epoxy actually turns rubbery and peals off with exposure to fuel. However CA tends to harded better with fuel - at least that's what I have seen. I think I will try the thin CA.

Dion
Old 10-26-2003, 07:33 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Using 5 minute or 30 minute epoxy, thinned about 25 to 50% with rubbing alcohol works well and will last longer that the plane probably will. I have a couple of planes more than 8 years old and the epoxy is just fine.

You can also paint the firewall with a urethane bases paint. Works just as well. You can cover over either type of finish if you wish to.

Make sure that all the openings in the firewall that you are going to need are already complete and in the right place. Place a small piece of masking tape over your blind nut openings to keep the threads clean.