Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

4 stroke muffler heat and cowls

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

4 stroke muffler heat and cowls

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 01:58 AM
ctatham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 stroke muffler heat and cowls

have routed a 91 4 stroke muffler down inside a plastic cowl to exit the bottom of the back edge of the cowl. The cowl covers nicely but the elbow of the header comes within 1/16 th of the inside of the cowl. Is it going to melt and deform? would a foil tape on the inside of the cowl help this issue? Some would say get a glass cowl but I don't want to do that yet. I worked hard to get a good fit and want to see If I can make it work.
Old 05-03-2002, 05:40 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Some of the manifolds on the 4strokers get up to 600degrees. Very hot! I'd like to say it won't melt. Without looking at cowling though, I won't say that. If cowling was fiberglass, you know there wouldn't be a question. Is there any way you can get more clearance? Oh Oh Oh....I know............how about laying in some carbon fiber in that area. It's better then glass, and lighter. It goes on the same way too.
I thought about something like foil/aluminum, that could be just as bad though, as it would conduct heat. Carbonfiber on the other hand would be bullet proof as far as heat goes, and would add a bit of strength in that area.
There ya go...good luck
Old 05-03-2002, 09:58 AM
ctatham

Default heat

you can see the cowl setup on my site in the skybolt pictures, under engine sub section. Where can you get carbon fiber cloth?

http://memebers.rogers.com/ctatham
Old 05-03-2002, 09:20 PM
DGrant

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

www.Arts-hobby.com

These folks are very cool, and have a selection of c/f, as well as other composites. Shop the whole site, I would recomend the woven type material though, opposed to what they refer to as "tape". I bought a 6"x3yrds(9'), and I've cut what I needed off of that, and saved the rest for future projects. I can see using this extensively in stress areas in place of glass. It's much more cost effective to buy in bulk and cut what you need for application. Although, for your small application, you might just want to get small amout to try it.

I used it for reinforcement in center section of wing on my 27% EXTRA. That area will be the last that would ever fail. It seems almost bullet proof, and it's so much lighter then it would've been had the same area been done in glass.
Old 05-04-2002, 01:59 AM
nchrome

Default Re: heat

Originally posted by ctatham
you can see the cowl setup on my site in the skybolt pictures, under engine sub section. Where can you get carbon fiber cloth?

http://memebers.rogers.com/ctatham
If you have just a little bit of room between the pipe and the cowl take some alunimum foil and some sime stock and make a heat shield im side the cowl. Should work for a while to see if you would be satified with the cowl
Old 06-16-2003, 11:58 PM
GoNavy
My Feedback: (15)

BVM Heat Shield (water based ceramic barrier coating) protected balsa wood that was only 1/8 inch from the muffler of a laser 120.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:39 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What I do is to put two layers of foil tape (About 2" x 2"). let the first layer wrinkle a bit so that the second leaves a few small air spaces. Ca them if necessary. While aluminum is a good conductor of heat, it will transfer the heat AWAY from the imediate area. I have even used this method in an area where the exhaust was blowing directly at the inside of the cowl without any distortion.