Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Herr Engineering AT-6 Texan

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Herr Engineering AT-6 Texan

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 10:37 PM
Auger Din

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Herr Engineering AT-6 Texan

Hey Guys

I'm still on the new side when it comes to building from a kit, but I am interested in having a go at Herr Engineering's AT-6 Texan in 1/2A.

Has anyone built and flown one of these yet? I saw a bit of a review online about these a long while ago, and it was pretty much positive...but I'd still like your impressions.

Thanks

-Auger
Old 05-06-2002, 01:34 PM
EkRr
My Feedback: (51)

Default Herr AT6

Auger

I am in process of building one now. The fuse was awesome. Laserlock pieces went together like a puzzle. Took about 2 hours to complete.

The wing, however, for me was a different story. It built up ok with no major problems. Once it was finished, it seemed very flimsey to me. I worried about a bad landing and the wing would snap. Now maybe once it is covered, it will be stronger. But erring on the side of caution, i decided to sheet it with 1/32 balsa. It does not add much weight, maybe an oz or two. but it really added strength. Planning on covering it this weekend. Using a TT 07 and Hitec Flight pack with HS81 servos. It should be a nice plane when it is finished.

You might want to look at the ACE Simple AT-6 and the rest of the planes in the series. I have an EXTRA 230 and Corsair, both are awesome. However, they are foam wings, so I opted to sheet them as well. Simple task with 3M 777 spray glue. Now you can use any covering not just lo temp. These kits are quite a bit less than the Herr kits as well. Other members of my club have the AT-6, ME-109, and mustang. and they all fly awesome.

Erick

Erick
Old 05-06-2002, 10:37 PM
Auger Din

Default Thanks for the Reply

Thanks for the information.

I had looked at the Ace kits as well, but wanted to build up the plane as a wood kit.

I had thoughts about sheeting the wing, and possibly adding flaps to it just for the heck of it.

Its good to hear that the kit its self is well made, and easy to work with. As I'm still working on my building skills it should go a long way to helping my confidence in that area.

Let me know how it flies. And add pics if you can.

Clear skies.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:31 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Herr AT-6

Be careful of the wing, while I didn't find it to be flimsy, you must add some washout or the plane will tipstall. I installed a Permax 450 turbo motor in it and it would tipstall like crazy. You must do this before flying. Easy enough.....just heat covering and bend rear of wing at tip up for a few degrees . After I take care of this it will be back to the field with freshly charges packs.
Good Luck! jollyroger
Old 05-15-2002, 12:40 AM
Auger Din

Default Herr Engineering AT-6 Texan

Thanks for the tip. Your the second person who has warned me about this problem.

Did you sheet the wing or just build as is and cover? Just curious.

-Auger
Old 05-17-2002, 11:30 AM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HerrAT-6

Auger: I built the wing as the per instructions. I used 21st century covering. BTW the Texan is all red.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:52 PM
spyder0069

Default RE: HerrAT-6

Didn't have to add any wash out to mine. Built on a solid surface so the wing was true. I only sheeted the top of the leading edge and had no problems. Initially I had a 15 on it and the first flight snapped the horizontal stab in half during a dive and pull out. Landed the plane on half a stab with no problems and built a stronger one. Flew the crap out of it and then tried a norvel .074 on it with a 7x3. 6 ounces lighter and even better performance!! All up weight with 2oz of fuel was 20oz and that was 4 channel with everything operational. Fantastic flyer and no problems with tip stalling. I have a ACE mustang that is just 3 channel (ail,ele,throttle and handlaunch with no landing gear) which also has a .074. Weighs in at 18oz with fuel. That plane is quite a bit faster than the texan because the ace kits have a semi-semitrical wing where the texan is a flat bottom. However, at mid to slow speeds the texan will easily out manuever it becase the texan is so stable.