Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Pearl White Ultracote

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Pearl White Ultracote

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 10:31 PM
kkachler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pearl White Ultracote

I am getting ready to cover a Giant Aeromaster. I like using ultracote and am looking for a soft white color base. Ultracote cream is too dark for my tast, but I have been advised that the pearl white might be nearly tranparent. Does anyone have first hand experience?
Old 10-31-2003, 08:53 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Pearl White Ultracote

It's not transparrent.

Here's a pic of a Tiger 60 done in Neon Pink and Pearl White:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96835.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	71382  
Old 10-31-2003, 09:14 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks more like silver than anything, IMO; especially in bight sunlight.

Old 10-31-2003, 10:09 AM
wagas

Had an uncle that covered his Ultra Sport with pearl white and it came out translucent. Not transparent but it was not anywhere close to opaque. You could see the structure thru it.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:10 AM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

I covered an Uproar.40 in Pearl White Ultracote and Neon Pink. As I recall, the Pearl White did not appear to be transparent. The Neon Pink was so bright that you hardly noticed the Pearl White!
Old 11-01-2003, 07:22 AM
kkachler

Thanks for the input. Seems like a mixed bag, but I wasn't looking to complete the color scheme in neons. I was thinking more like deept red and gold accent.

I started down the pearl white path after finding ultracote cream to be too dark - at least on the roll. I'm now thinking that a cream base will be lighter after application. More like the base behind dark red I'm looking for.

Am I on the mark??
Old 11-01-2003, 08:50 AM
LSP972

I used True Red along with the Pearl White on a Sig SE. I don't recall it being translucent, but it definitely looked more like silver to me. That wasn't bad, but was not the effect I was looking for.

It has a metallic texture (appearance) as well, which I wasn't thrilled with.

I think cream and True Red, with gold trim, would look super. I did a Bingo in Cream and Maroon that looked very nice.

Old 11-03-2003, 06:48 AM
kkachler

Hey, thanks all.

Steve, your post was most interesting. You confirmed my fear. I'll order a roll of cream to make sure it's not to dark before ordering 30 feet.

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-03-2003, 07:45 AM
LSP972

No charge...

Say, I just noticed your location.

Do you, by any chance, fly with my pal Steve Difranco?

Old 11-03-2003, 12:37 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try Gatorhide, do a web search for OZ covering to find a supplier. A plastic covering that is many times stronger than either monocote or ultracote and goes on just as easily. Comes only in white and is not transparent.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:20 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Rodney

Try Gatorhide, do a web search for OZ covering to find a supplier. A plastic covering that is many times stronger than either monocote or ultracote and goes on just as easily. Comes only in white and is not transparent.
Well actually the OzCover is transparent and it's the Rhinocover that is white with just a hint of pearl in it.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:11 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry Art, my memory is getting worse every day; I do not know why I confused Rhinohide wth Gatorhide, maybe because I'm in Florida with the Gators. I have used both Rhinohide and Oz cover and was farorably impressed with both.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:48 PM
LMProd

Utra Coat made, I don't know if they still do a Pearl White that has a metal backing. This is not transparent.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:34 PM
kkachler

Yep Steve, I sure do know Steve. He almost taught me to fly heli. At least I learned to hover them.
I did things backwards, and the fixed wing bug set in. In a funny sort of way fixed wing is more challengint than helis! There just aint no hoverin and ya gotta land.

Sad thing with the old heli club is the last time I checked they didn't really have a field.

Take care, thanks for the help, and ..... thanks for all the articles in MHT. (Is that pub still around or did it go out with my memory?)
Old 11-06-2003, 09:15 AM
LSP972

I talk with Steve several times a month. Last I heard, they (the local heli club) were still at the same place they were a few years ago when I went up there for Camp Cleveland.

Calling that area a flying field is streching credibility to its elastic limits...

You guys' plank field (Burden-sp?), OTOH, is a great facility.

Yeah, Model Helicopter Technique is still around, although it has changed hands again since Steve and I quit writing for it.

Steve has just about quit flying helicopters since he got into the big gasser planks. He only has one heli left, and I don't think he's flown it this year at all.

Good luck on your color scheme. From what DiFranco tells me, you guys have an extensive building season.

Old 11-08-2003, 08:03 AM
kkachler

Your right. Building season started with the snow today.

That flying field was most likely why I never got into forward flight. Plank field is the Thompson Propbusters which is an incredible plank field, but I am the only member who owns helis. Our field is on the North side of Thompson drag strip opposite the speed trap. That make flyin a lot of fun, and no worry about noise. Two years ago the drag strip built us a float fly like when the drag strip run out was leveled. What more could you ask for?

By the way how long does it take to drive from Louisiana to Cleveland? We have old Army friends my wife wants to visit. He's in Iraq.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:45 AM
LSP972

Well, it used to take me about 17 hours to get to Columbus; that's as far as I drove, to the IRCHA Jamboree. I flew into Cleveland when I visited Steve.

Unless you want to push it, and the wife will help with the driving, its a two-day trip. I always went up there in one shot, since I could leave at zero-dark-thirty and arrive at a reasonable evening hour, and I was fired up about getting there. Coming back, I always stopped in Birmingham to get some rest, since I didn't leave Columbus until noon or so.

What part of Louisiana would you be going to? I ask because it affects which route to take. There are two. I tried both, and there wasn't an hour's worth of difference between them when departing/returning to this area. However, if you're headed to the northwestern part of this miserable state, you definitely want to go through Memphis/Little Rock.

Old 11-08-2003, 11:05 PM
NOVAflier
My Feedback: (21)

Ok, so Ultra Cote pearl white is transparent or silver. I have used the regular ultra cote white, and it is not very opaque. So, I need some white covering for my Venture 60, what should I use if I want a pure opaque?