Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Dehavilland twin otter kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Dehavilland twin otter kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2002, 09:06 PM
cf-drg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dehavilland twin otter kit

I'm looking for a Twin otter kit that was made by Horizon models Mfg out of Nova Scotia Canada? From what I understand they have been disc. And if someone knows were I could get one it would be much apprectiated. Or even a similar kit with a 8' to 10' wingspan.....

Darren
Old 03-31-2004, 07:40 AM
RonHill

Default RE: Dehavilland twin otter kit

I also am looking for one of these
Old 04-05-2004, 12:47 PM
TEBerg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron,

You just want an Otter to model after a jump plane don't you???

I saw a writeup on a smaller twin otter that had something like 15's on the wings... It was house of balsa or something like that... I just did not like the looks of the smaller plane because it was pretty much a square fuse...

Blue Skies,
Old 04-05-2004, 12:57 PM
JimTrainor

This might be the small one you are thinking about:

http://www.rtmodels.com/products/TwnOtter.htm

... they have a Dash-8 that looks neat:

http://www.rtmodels.com/DASH_8.htm
Old 04-05-2004, 01:11 PM
RonHill

Yep and I plan on doing it in Freefall Express colors.

Tom, where do you jump?
Old 04-06-2004, 08:19 AM
RonHill

Lets try this route:

http://www.greatplanes.com/suggest-a-plane.html
Old 04-06-2004, 11:38 AM
TEBerg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim, yep, that's the plane/kit I was thinking about... Nice little size thing. But as I mentioned, the back is pretty much a box..

However, the floats are a great Idea.. I was up in Victoria two years ago and they were flying the air tours off of the Otter on Floats.. I did not go for a ride, but they were waaaay cool to see taxi and take off.

Ron, I jump out here in California, mostly at Skydive Monterey Bay.. I live in Central California and we have a 182 dropzone nearby. But Monterey keeps me pretty busy with Tandems and AFF. The view is also much better. I make the occasional trip to Peris Valley and jump there also, with friends and family..
Old 04-06-2004, 12:14 PM
RonHill

I'm thinking if I have to I'll get this kit...put some triangle stock in the back inside the "Box", and sand it so it looks rounder.

I will also convert it to .10 glow. But I really want to find a better looking one...If Horizon models had not gone out...They had a nice one.

I hope to be out in Perris for the Nationals this year. I have been to Monterey...but it was a day with low clouds so I didn't get to jump. I used to spend some time out west back in 1995.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:38 AM
Vario-RCU

cf-drg and Ron

Mark at RT Models does have a larger version in the works I was asked to do an Alpha build just last week you may want to shoot him a e-mail I have seen the Cad work and should be ready for a build in a few months. He has slowed way down any develpment as he is fighting cancer but he is working on several versions a fg and foam kit and a all built up version. He also has several of the 86'' TO's from Horizon 1 is not his but he has a few left he may part with one? That one was kind of a wierd one actually. Came mostly pre-fabed with sheeted wing tail but had no detail on the fuse and even the windscreen was not moulded into the detail. And was not in fiberglass but heavy white plastic wigh a few formers installed. Hope this helps
Old 04-08-2004, 08:13 AM
RonHill

I called him last week. He told me about that one Horizon that he had...He said someone asked him to build it. It was not for sale.

He also mentioned that he may build a bigger version. The only thing I don't like about his .10 version is the square fuse behind the wing. Otherwise it would already be on my building board.

It seems that he has the only kit available. I have found plans...But I don't want to go the scratch build route yet.

I may just scrap the whole idea and build a war bird...But I love the otter design, and have around 2,000 jumps out of Twin Otters...So I though it would be cool to build a scale one.