Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Solartec and Spray Painting

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Solartec and Spray Painting

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 04:36 AM
cuban ate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solartec and Spray Painting

I've just finished covering a Magnatilla with Solartec and I am ready to apply a spray finish. Having tested a coat of Flair Spectrum on the fin to see what the application is like, the first coat is lifting and pitting. Can anyone give me any tips to help? Should I be using a primer? Is Spectrum a suitable paint?
Thanks
Old 11-08-2003, 10:13 PM
rflasch
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Solartec and Spray Painting

Hey Mate-- I cover and paint all my planes using Solartex fabric. If that is the material you are referring to here is my method. After your framework is prepaired for covering use Sig stix-it or black baron balsarite brushed on the woodwork(I thin mine about 10-15% with acetone or mek. Next I apply my solartex.Just before painting I reshrink the solartex (just to be sure) and wipe it down with a oil/wax remover. I then spray my chosen color in either automotive acrylic enamel of basecoat clearcote urethanes. If you need to apply a primer (I try to avoid because of weight) use a lacquer type automive primer THAT YOU KNOW IS COMPATABLE with your chosen paint. Automotive paints are far superior to most hobby products and of course the color selection is unlimited!!
good luck--Bob
Old 11-10-2003, 09:09 AM
cuban ate

Default RE: Solartec and Spray Painting

Bob,
Thanks for all that information. Just what I wanted. Start spraying tonight so fingers crossed and will let you know if the advice was sound.