Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

skyshark skyraider

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

skyshark skyraider

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 11:16 AM
flyman1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default skyshark skyraider

ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERINCE WITH SKYSHARKS SKYRAIDER MODEL ? WOULD LIKE ANY IMPUT, AS TO YOUR LIKES OR DISLIKES AND WHAT YOU USED FOR POWER AND ETC THANKS
LEN
Old 11-07-2003, 12:13 PM
cbreeze
My Feedback: (26)

Default RE: skyshark skyraider

Greetings,

Picked up one of these a couple of years ago when the company was called Heritage RC and it is still in the box. I am waiting to perfect my scale building skills a little more before I start on the project. Anyway, I love the Skyraider and was looking for something in the 60/90 size range so this was the logical choice. I also haven't decided how I want to cover it. Every so often I open the box and my impression is that it is a real nice kit. Plans are in color and there is a photo illustrated instruction manual.

When I first ordered the kit I spoke over the phone with the original owner. He was very helpful and stated that as long as you keep the plane light, any 60 size engine would do. I thought that I would use a ST 75 or 90. Since then I have a Saito 100 and think that might be the way to go. I would like to scale mine out a little so that would add to the weight. Since I bought mine, I usually look for questions/comments regarding the kit on RCU. Haven't really found much. I am really glad someone picked up the business. I usually like to fly/build kits that are not common. The original owner of Heritage/Skyshark stated that he wanted to kit different warbirds that were not marketed by other companies, that is why he would never do a P-51.

Hope this helps and I would appreciate sharing any ideas if you are going to build this SPAD. BTW, my brother-in-law also bought the Heritage Hellcat which also appears to be equally as nice.

Chuck
Old 11-08-2003, 09:23 AM
Jollidude
My Feedback: (39)

I have the Heritage Skyraider NIB as well. I plan on using a TT GP61. The kit is excellent and I believe will build into a light aircraft. I will put retracts into it but I don't think flaps will be needed. I expect it will come out somewhere around 7 to 7.5 lbs. I have seen the Heritage Stuka fly, it flys well and is very light for its size. It is bigger than the Skyraider and had an old OS 61 in it. Plenty of power.

Cheers!

Jollidude
Old 11-08-2003, 12:12 PM
cbreeze
My Feedback: (26)

Jollidude,

When I spoke with the Heritage owner we discussed flaps. He said the kit did not need them and once again, stated when you start adding features you add weight. He suggested that a problem with the other warbirds on the market was their weight. He wanted to keep his products light and simple. I too plan on adding a cockpit, retracts and gear doors. All will have to be scratch built. Have you given any thoughts on finishing? I am leaning towards glassing mine.

Chuck
Old 11-09-2003, 08:27 PM
Jollidude
My Feedback: (39)

cbreeze,

I plan on using 0.5 oz fibreglass with waterbased polyurethane, not epoxy. It is much cleaner, much lighter and not nearly so smelly! The service with the original owner was great. The plastic cowl that came with my kit wasn't near the quality of the rest of the kit. I emailed him regarding my disappointment and he wrote back saying that he agreed and was in the process of changing them to glass. He sent me one of the new glass cowls free of charge. I hope the new owners are as good. I'm glad that someone picked them up too, they are really nice kits. The only recommendation I have to make is to beef up the wing spars, the above mentioned Stuka was too lightly built in this area (the spar failed near the landing gear on a hard landing). I haven't looked at my kit in some time so I don't know if the Skyraider has the same design. Not a big concern, but check it out.

Cheers!

Jollidude
Old 11-16-2003, 11:14 AM
sigpilot62

I have recently purchased a TBM Avenger kit from Skyshark. It is a very nice kit. This is the first warbird that I have attempted to build. When I opened the box, gunners turret ball was creased during shipment, contacted them, they sent a new one with no questions asked, Nice to have that kind of service.
I am trying to decide if I want to do the .5 oz glass or monokote. Have never glassed before. Any advice anyone can give will be appreciated. THanks, a sig pilot.