Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Waco fuel tank access

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Waco fuel tank access

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 07:37 AM
RCFlyerNYC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waco fuel tank access

Without taking off my engine, what would be the best way to have access to my tank on my 1/5th scale Waco? Is making a hatch on top the way to go? And what is the biggest 4 stroke I can use with the wooden rails?
Jeff
Old 11-10-2003, 03:22 PM
flysrc

Default RE: Waco fuel tank access

Question? why do you need axcess to your fuel tank if is on rails, I use a third line for fueling (system that I use)and you should be able to see the tank thru the massive cowl unless you are putting a dummy engine in place then your vision would be obscures. I have a saito 150 in mine and the saito 180 is the same physical size. I did no modifying to the rails but It flyies like it on them.(rails I mean) very steady and stable in the air but keep up the speed on landings and you won't be disappointed with the plane.
Dave.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:32 PM
RCFlyerNYC

I like to be able to check the fuel tank if I'm having engine problems and I like access if I see the tank is leaking. I also use the 3 line system and I will have a dummy radial
You wanted to know why I wanted access if the engine is on rails and I don't understand the question
Thanks
Jeff
Old 11-10-2003, 11:22 PM
flysrc

Maybe I was unclear(according to my wife I often am). The engine is on wooden rails and I can see right back to the fuel tank as it sides in from the front. The fire wall has a square hole in it allowing access to it. It installs from the font not the traditional from inside the plane. My plane is about 10-12 years old and perhaps the kit has been change some which could cause the misunderstanding in our comunication. But what would be really cool(I would do it if I was building the kit again) How about a moulded side access panel that is hinged on the top with 2 hinges and a couple of duz fasteners to act as hold downs. Moulded access panels are really simple to make and some fun as well. If you deside to go this way let me know if you need some help creating this. I made the same thing in the scale location right side behind the pilot. Where the luggage compartment is. I have the on/off switch, and Gyro on/off and gain controls, and smoke fill valve) makes a scale job alittle neater without that junk hanging off the side.I have a gyro in the rudder that was left over from my heli days and needed a home. Just goofing with it for the moment to see what a gyro is like on an airplane.
Dave
Old 11-11-2003, 06:22 AM
RCFlyerNYC

Thanks for the reply Dave. There is complete access to the tank if you invert the engine. I'd rather not do that because then I'd want a remote glow starter which I had in my Hog bipe but didn't like. I like your idea for the side hatch
Jeff
Old 11-11-2003, 09:56 AM
flysrc

Jeff, I understand, and inverting a fourstroke is nothing but trouble unless you add an on board glow system(easy enough to make but just one more thing to maintain, build and install [:@]). I have a goldberg electric cub that I converted to glow(OS .20 4 stroke) and the only way to keep a proper thrust line was to invert it. It ran very poorly and was very unreliable below 1/3 throttle. It was also tail heavy so the3200mil onbaord battery balanced it perfectly. Anyways back to this story. If you mounted the motor upright and made a roughly 3"x5" side access panel you could put a remote glow under it. How cool and coversation peice would that be at the field. Lift the panel attach you glow stick, start your palne, remove you glow stick, a couple of twists of the panel hold down and away you go. Also keeps your fingers away from the propeller too.
Dave
Old 11-11-2003, 06:54 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dave:

I have to differ with you. Set up properly an inverted 4c engine is no trouble.

Bill.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:07 PM
RCFlyerNYC

I had an onboard glow on my Hog bipe. It worked great but the wires kept on disconnecting so I took it out. The OS91 4 stroke engine starts and runs just as well with out it but it's a pain to get the glow igniter on the plug when you invert the engine.
I want to install the new engine in the Waco 1/5th (most probably an OS FS 120) upright. I'm not sure which way to go with servos though. Has anyone used anything other than standards?. I plan on using 2 aileron servos.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 11-26-2003, 07:35 PM
MILDBILL-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I am currently building the 1/5 waco, & i am using the satio 1.70 radial. I had to do alot of modifying to the front so that i had a good firewall to mount the radial to. The beam method was'nt going to work. I also thought long & hard about a different fuel tank access method, but could'nt find an easy way with all the changes to that area of the firewall. I ended up leaving that large hole in the center of the firewall. I also have the luggage compartment functunal for the switchs & charge jacks. I have made mounts in each wing side for standard servo's just in front of the lower wings ailerons, & will link to the uppers. I really dont like the wire & bellcrank method. good luck with yours, & really thinking about it, fuel tank problems are rare anyway.