Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Biplane C.G.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Biplane C.G.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 08:35 AM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biplane C.G.

I know this has probably been covered before but posted now and find nothing to help.Just bought a used Lazy Ace small size approx 53"wing.No idea where C.G. should be.Appeears way out of balance many Oz.on nose.Has straight wings.Thought should be at about the leading edge of the lower wing,as a general figure.Can anyone give me a quick lesson in this?Thanks
Old 11-16-2003, 10:29 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Biplane C.G.

LE of lower wing would be too far forward.

My "Rule of thumb" for bipes is this:

Pick it up from the back-center of the top wing (inserting your fingers about half their length under the wing)

The plane should sit slightly nose down (2-4 degrees).

That will get you into a "Flyable" range. Once you have flown it, you can adjust from there.

I know it's not an exact science, but it has never failed me so far.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:26 PM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Mike.You mean stand behind the plane and hold it near the center of the upper wing?Doing some radio instalation on it now tomorrow try that see ahere at ,Took 8 oz off the nose seemed awful heavy.Measured it is the 63"version.Has a MDS 68 which looks like a good piece of ballast itself.Doesn't that stand for More Dead Sticks?Never used these motors,looks like he might have stuck it in to sell the plane don't know if it needs that big an engine?Again Thanks much Bob Moodie
Old 11-16-2003, 10:48 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, stand behind the plane and hold it near the center of the upper wing. That engine doesn't sound too big for a 63" Bipe.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:56 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since the wings are straight and both the same size, just have the CG 25 to 30 % aft of the distance between the leading edge of the most forward wing and the trailing edge of the most aft wing.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:10 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've an interest in this as I've just (ahem) bought a Great Lakes ARC.....

Here's the version I heard: the CG should be 25% back from the front of the MAC. I applied this to a small (unknown) electric bipe and it seemed to fly ok.
Explanation: Measure the total chord from the leading edge of the leading wing to the trailing edge of the trailing wing. My bipe had straight wings with a 6" chord and a 2" stagger giving a total chord of 8". 25% of this is 2" which funnily enough is in line with the leading edge of the bottom wing..... clear as mud?