Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Robart Hinge Question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Robart Hinge Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 09:18 AM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Robart Hinge Question

I am getting close to finishing my first kit, a GP .60 Cub. I decided to use Robart hinge points for the hinges. I had a little difficulty drilling the holes for my left aileron. After drilling the holes in the wing and the aileron, I discovered that my aileron is not perfectly centered in the wing opening. It needs to move about 1/8" to the left.

Can I just enlarge the holes in the wing and use plenty of epoxy when I install the hinges, or do I need to somehow fill the holes and redrill? If I need to fill the holes, how should I go about it?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 11-17-2003, 09:40 AM
Funfly123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Robart Hinge Question

To maintain the strength in the rear spar you should fill the incorrect holes and re-drill.
One way to do this is select a piece of wood of the same material as the rear spar and make a round plug that is a tight fit in the hole, glue this into the hole with PVA allow to dry and trim it flush with the rear spar then you may re-drill your hinge holes in the correct position This is more difficult to describe than do.

Hope this helps
Andy H
Old 11-17-2003, 10:08 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Aw hell, I wouldn't worry about 1/8". I would just oversize the hole.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:25 AM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the divergent viewpoints, guys. Andy, I'm not too worried about weakening the rear "spar." In this design, it's not really much of a spar. It's just a piece of notched 1/8" balsa that frames up the aileron opening. It had 5/8" balsa blocks glued to the backside for the hinges. I added additional blocking for Robart hinges. The main spar of the wing is two large pieces of spruce with shear webbing in between. The wing itself is like a rock.

My main concern is that the hinges won't pull out. Mike, it shoulds like you don't think that will be a problem. Maybe I will drive out to Willmar to have you do the maiden.

-Scott