Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

New to building

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

New to building

Old 11-20-2003, 11:50 AM
epoxy123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to building

Any suggestions on what 4 channel kit is best suited for a beginner? Thoughts on semi and flat bottom wings also. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2003, 11:53 AM
bearmech
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: New to building

Sig LT 40 is IMHO the best kit out there. Good instructions, easy build and a great flyer.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:43 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto, but another to consider would be the Great Planes PT-40 (Built with the "Sport Wing"). If you've flown before, and/or have a good instructor, you COULD start with a semi-symmetrical wing, but I still recommend getting (or modifying) a kit that uses rubber bands to hold the wing on. the rubber acts as a shock absorber in case of a mishap, and can save many hours of repair work.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:12 PM
cappio777
My Feedback: (2)

The Bob Violett Bandit Jet is a great beginner aircraft.........................OK I AM KIDDING! Goldberg Eagle 2 is great trainer easy to fly and to build, the LT-40 is an excellent trainer too, durable and forgiving in the air, , its "daddy", the Kadet Senior is another outstanding trainer since it practically lands itself when properly trimmed. Now, the hobbico Nexstar is the newest thing on trainers with multiple innovations that allow the beginner to progress with the airplane at different learning stages while keeping it almost crash safe.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:08 PM
kdheath

The LT-40 is excellent. Personally can't stand the PT-40, though lots of people have had success with them.

A now-overlooked kit is the Golodberg Falcon 56. Maybe they call it the Falcon III or something now. One of the few 40 size trainers I've seen with the semi-symmetrical airfoil that is really suitable both as a primary trainer and an advanced one. It will fly decently on a good 25 or 28 motor, or really tear things up with a light 40.

The Sig Seniorita and Kadet Senior are wonderful 3-channel trainers that will teach you a ton about how to really fly an airplane and not just point a ballistic missile. Build them by the plans, avoid the temptation to stuff in a huge motor, and no ailerons. Absolutely a blast, once you understand the method to the madness. Whatever you do, have a blast!
Old 11-21-2003, 12:46 AM
bearmech
My Feedback: (1)

I restarted with a PT-40 last winter and it's an easy build and a decent flyer, however IMHO the LT.40 is a much better flyer. The build is about the same! So if I started again the Sig LT-.40 would be my choice!
Old 11-21-2003, 01:07 AM
CafeenMan

Another vote for the LT-40. It is my very strong opinion that you should build your trainer. As you get to more advanced models, you have to be a better builder. Trainers are very tolerant of building errors so that's the place to make them.