Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Gorilla Glue ????????

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Gorilla Glue ????????

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 11:36 PM
Firewalkerd1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gorilla Glue ????????

I have seen articles were gorilla glue was used for building. Is this glue strong enough to be used? I use CA. I an planning to build my first big plane, 80" wing, 10-12 lb. gas engine. Is this glue good for bonding foam sheets together?
Old 11-22-2003, 12:05 AM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gorilla Glue ????????

. It foams. expands, and drys. Very messy if it gets on your hands its like having pine tar on your hands. needs moisture to cure, I used it one time on a 1/4 scale kit for sheeting. bottle set on shelf with a little gone hardened and I through it out. Very short shelf life after opening. Its kinda like thick polyurethane. Do not know about bonding foam but personally I would try something else. I do know some woodworkers who swear by it though.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:07 AM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had good luck with gorrilla glue, on my foam parts. It will foam up and fill voids pretty well, but this is sometimes undesirable. Its very strong, and I am really impressed with it.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:09 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using Elmer's Pro Bond which is pretty much, if not exactly, the same stuff. It works great in the right places. Sheeting foam wings is one, hinging is another as long as you don't get too much in the hinge slot. My bottle has been on the shelf now for nearly a year since I originally opened it. I had to use it just a few days ago and it was still as fresh as when I bought it. Good stuff!

John
Old 11-23-2003, 12:57 AM
nchrome

Firewlker1 I would swear by gorrilla glue. I've used it for sheeting wings now for quite a wile. My HP200 wing sheeting is held on with it and it is 5 years old. On my B-17 for the tail feathers and the wings it is done with it. Gorrilla gllue is also sandable.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:42 AM
ml3456

Works great for sheeting. Still not a substitute for epoxy in some high load areas though!

Mark
Old 11-23-2003, 06:55 PM
stefanP
My Feedback: (2)

I can tell you from experiance it won't hold plywood to fiber glass fuse!! I had used it to glue edf fan mounts and good thing I flexed the fuse a little.No thanxs ,I pass[:'(][:'(][:'(] stefanP
Old 11-25-2003, 09:18 AM
MikeS
My Feedback: (37)

I have used probond to sheet foam on many airplanes, including a 123" B-17. The glue foams and expands into the coam core. It is the strongest bond I have seen. It is not light, and if too much is used, it will foam out onto the edges and through any cracks or gaps in the sheeting. I have also sheeted wings without joining the balsa sheets beforehand. I was trying to get rid of the unsandable glue line between the balsa sheets. It works, as long as the minnimum polyU glue is used. I apply a small amount of glue to the backside of the balsa skin, use an old credit card to spread and then scrape all the glue off that I can. The residual will be the glue that hides in the balsa grain. That is plenty enough to make an extraordinary bond. If your air is dry, spritz a very fine mist of water on the sheet, then apply. put back in the form and weight. Best bond there is.