Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

BTE Delta Vortex Construction Photos

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

BTE Delta Vortex Construction Photos

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 12:23 PM
svennoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

I finally had my maiden flight today, but it was a short one.. Got up to 100 feet, when the motor stopped. It glides well, and I landet on the runaway. This is why it stopped
back end came off,
Engine is an JBA 91. with APC 14*8 prop, very good pull. Cant wait for the next flight, it felt very good in the air(for 20 sec.)

I took a nice picture together with my other Bte favourite!

Best regards from Svenn
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	motor.JPG
Views:	1054
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	1991712   Click image for larger version

Name:	vortex.JPG
Views:	1311
Size:	542.6 KB
ID:	1991713  

Last edited by svennoe; 05-01-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Svenn,

Nice pair of Planes. You will love the DV glad you got it back without any problems.

Pete
Old 10-19-2016, 04:00 AM
SALMONBUG
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Soon coming, salmonbug 's second version version of a retract DV with originals small mistakes corrected

first goals

- no need to overpower, due to it's profile the drag/eas curve show it's needless

-keep it as simple as possible

-redesign the engine box to allow a bigger nose wheel (compared to my first version°

Last edited by SALMONBUG; 10-19-2016 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:01 AM
Rocketman612

Wow a blast from the past

I enjoyed the last build and looking forward to this one.

Pete
Old 10-19-2016, 05:26 AM
SALMONBUG

Originally Posted by Rocketman612
Wow a blast from the past

I enjoyed the last build and looking forward to this one.

Pete
In fact , a blast from the past, I had to stop models airplanes for a very long period period due to family tragedy, but I am back now and will be happy to share and learn about our common passion
Old 10-19-2016, 05:39 AM
SALMONBUG

And rememeber first that the the aircraft will fly because the original design is due to exceptional quality builder's kit and excellent design.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:16 AM
airbusdrvr

You're still alive? That's humor in case it doesn't trannslate in German. Awaiting your posts.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:19 AM
airbusdrvr

You're still alive? That's humor in case it doesn't trannslate in Dutch. Awaiting your posts.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:28 AM
Rocketman612

Originally Posted by SALMONBUG
In fact , a blast from the past, I had to stop models airplanes for a very long period period due to family tragedy, but I am back now and will be happy to share and learn about our common passion
Sorry to hear that. Thoughts and Prayers to you and Family. Getting back into the hobby is a good way to achieve Normalcy.

Pete
Old 10-19-2016, 07:38 AM
SALMONBUG

for those who want to know why I deseaperad . Visit the bruce tarpe web site, go to the delta vortex, then go go to the builder inspiration suggestions. select the "belgian masterpiece" and have a look to the the last picture

Last edited by SALMONBUG; 10-19-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:05 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Svennoe,
The same thing happened to a backplate that I had - except that my problem was self-induced. Never put the backplate on before I mounted the engine. No wonder the *$#^**% engine wouldn't start . Glad yours came back OK.

I've been powering mine with a .91 FX and a 14x6 prop. What combo do you have? You might have given me some incentive to switch to a 14x8 if the engine will handle it.

Bob
Old 10-20-2016, 07:09 AM
SALMONBUG

My first DV was powered by a 91fx who performed extremely well, either with the relocated tank, unfortunately live made I sell it and the new owner made a total loss of it during a inverted extremely low pass ( to low).
Due to the DV design and performance I know because of my first one, I think I will maybe consider a 4 stroke engine
Old 10-20-2016, 08:15 AM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Rudders or no rudders? I noticed that the Delta Vortex has twin rudders. I have a Holy Smoke and a Force One and neither has rudders. Both have steerable nose wheels. The Holy Smoke didn't show a rudder on the plans and the Enforcer indicated that they were an option but not really necessary. I don't particularly miss the rudders on either plane but maybe I'm missing something. Are the rudders that useful on the Delta Vortex?
Old 10-21-2016, 03:28 AM
Jaaact

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got ne almost ready for covering. Great build.

Name:	IMG_2010.JPG
Views:	1097
Size:	643.5 KB
ID:	2186621   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2011.JPG
Views:	983
Size:	443.5 KB
ID:	2186622   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2012.JPG
Views:	969
Size:	347.3 KB
ID:	2186623   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2013.JPG
Views:	978
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	2186624  

Last edited by Jaaact; 10-21-2016 at 03:30 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:55 AM
BruceTharpe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Matt, I think the rudders are useful. The DV was designed to be relatively slow delta with aerobatics as a priority. The rudders don't turn it into a precision aerobatic machine, but they are good for stall turns and a unique kind of flat spin I like to call a delta spin. Also nice for landing approaches in a crosswind. They can be programmed so both rudders deploy outboard to use as airbrakes. I have no doubt you could get away without rudders on the DV if you wanted, but you would definitely be sacrificing some of the design's capabilities.

Jaaact - nicely done!

Last edited by BruceTharpe; 10-21-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:28 PM
SALMONBUG

Placed my order today for the DV.
I plan to begin building in january. I don't want to make a clone of my first retract DV, but after a initial brainstorming I have to say I won't change a lot of things. My first DV flown so good that I won't change things who worked well.
I received a suggestion to make a twin engine version, I won't do that for plenty of good reasons I could explain.
I considered to put a OS160 FT in the nose, I rejected this idea also.
I will maybe go with a 120 4 stroke, but I hesitate ....

What I will certainly change is the design of the retract mounting assembly that I think I made maybe a bit too strong on my first version.
To simplify the plumbing and potential troubles I'll go with electric retract.
What I'll do also is shorten a bit less the engine box.

But before taking any final decision I need to have everything in my hands.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:35 AM
SALMONBUG

It's was long time I didn't visit robart website. I stoped modeling for so many years that I was not aware of what was new an what is on the market.

I found the retract I want for my new dv

main will be a set of 510 RSE and nose will be 514 RSE

because I want to keep it simple there won't be any robostrut , just 3/16 wires for the main and 5/32 wire in the nose

I also visited the site of my old fellow Dub Jett and saw that There is a "torque version" of a .91 engine available on special order . That could be a good engine, but the price. make me afraight. In fact I have to spare money for my next project after the DV.
There is a reaction 54 kit aside for me at BTE, and that one will be a expensive stuff.

because of weight, power and prop clearance considerations I decided to go with a two stroke engine. I'll maybe give a chance to the OS.95 AX that show around 2.8 shaft horse power for a weight of 745 gr muffler included.

there won't be any pitot tube on my new DV, if I want to know the speed of it, a TM 1000 and a gps module (spektrum) will do the job.
Of course you will get a ground speed and not a true airspeed but in zero wind days that is fine

Last edited by SALMONBUG; 11-13-2016 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:58 AM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

because of weight, power and prop clearance considerations I decided to go with a two stroke engine. I'll maybe give a chance to the OS.95 AX that show around 2.8 shaft horse power for a weight of 745 gr muffler included.
The OS95AX looks like a conservative choice. But having that ugly huge muffler showing will be a shame... Maybe you could install an enclosed tuned pipe on the belly ?
Have you considered the RCV 90 engines ? They blend nicely into small engine compartments...

there won't be any pitot tube on my new DV, if I want to know the speed of it, a TM 1000 and a gps module (spektrum) will do the job.
Of course you will get a ground speed and not a true airspeed but in zero wind days that is fine
Is this module really accurate ? What is the refresh rate ? Is there any stationary noise ? And what do you plan to use that speed information for ?

Name:	90sp-spitfire2.jpg
Views:	829
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	2189976  
Old 11-14-2016, 06:15 AM
SALMONBUG

tuned pipe on the belly involve combustion residues on the elevon and rudders servo and I really don't want to loose one elevon in flight . conventional designs allow to eventually manage a landing with one aileron or without elevator ( more difficult ), but on a delta if you loose an elevon you are dead
I saw a guy who modified a DV by placing a central elevator. But if want this kind of design I buy a enforcer

And also enclose the tuned pipe in the belly would be extremely difficult, don't forget it's not a aerobatic taildragger and that there will be a retract unit in the nose and a big tank behind it and a robart electric controller behind the tank and....

I don't have the data of the spectrum gps on my hands and I dunno the refresh rate, but I know that it record the minimum and maximum. So after the flight you just have to look what has been your top speed

speed info is only for info .) . don't need that to fly, that's why a won't place a permanent pitot in the wing.

I know My engine choice is conservative, but as I said I won't change things that worked well on my first one.
By the way I will have a look on the rcv 90 datas

strykaas I send you an email 10 minutes ago, telepathie ? ,)

Last edited by SALMONBUG; 11-14-2016 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:12 AM
SALMONBUG

strykaas exhumed from a old hard disk a video of my first dv. it's from 2004 and show the second flight of my old DV. You will see why I will shorter the engine box a bit less on my next DV. In fact you will see that the prop hit the ground and induce a roll on take off. I shortened the engine box too much during the initial building phase and have not been able to install a normal nose wheel, that 's why the prop clearance was too small.
On the maiden flight I didn't extend rudder speedbrakes and the landing you will see is my first attempt with rudders deployed. It's a conservative landing. After some more flight I found the DV could land much more slower with higher attitude, rudders deployed and some power.

sorry for the bad quality of the sequence, this was filmed with 12 years old Phone.

https://youtu.be/T_ARUCAfYNA

Last edited by SALMONBUG; 11-17-2016 at 02:28 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:57 AM
SALMONBUG

Hello folks,

I anounced ptrviously I'll start my retract dv second edition in january. everithing I need to build it (retracts, engine and so on) arrived , but unfortunatly I falled in my basement stairs one month ago and suffer a moderate head trauma. I have to stay in bed and rest for one more month , in order to reinitialise my brain and perfotrm a cold rerstart of it.
I'll come back to you soon with the building

regards

salmonbug
Old 02-12-2017, 03:46 PM
Rocketman612

Hello folks,

I anounced ptrviously I'll start my retract dv second edition in january. everithing I need to build it (retracts, engine and so on) arrived , but unfortunatly I falled in my basement stairs one month ago and suffer a moderate head trauma. I have to stay in bed and rest for one more month , in order to reinitialise my brain and perfotrm a cold rerstart of it.
I'll come back to you soon with the building

regards

salmonbug
So sorry to hear that. Rest up and get better soon.

Pete
Old 02-12-2017, 06:46 PM
BruceTharpe

Sorry to hear about your accident, Philippe, that does not sound fun at all. Definitely hope you get well soon.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:23 AM
SALMONBUG

Started my DV yesterday by performing sub assemblies, nothing but stock work, so I don't feel the need to post a picture.
I had a small problem with my lower fin assy. Seems that little puppy boxer dog like to eat a cocktail made from steel, epoxy, balsa and fiberglass.
Both of my lower fin assy were laying on the living room table (low table) and SPIKE (the boxer) decided to taste both of them. They are ruined except for the steel skids
I could rebuild them easily because they are on the plan, but it involve I have to make balsa lamination from sheet of 5 and 1 mm (we are in europe here),
I'll take the oportunity I have an order in the hoven at BTE to ask if he could drop a set of lower fin in the box
Old 02-25-2017, 12:41 PM
BruceTharpe

I will take care of you Philippe, don't worry about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.