Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

WHAT ENGINE TO HOVER ON SOMETHIN EXTRA???

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

WHAT ENGINE TO HOVER ON SOMETHIN EXTRA???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 07:50 PM
iflynething

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT ENGINE TO HOVER ON SOMETHIN EXTRA???

Well, I am hoping that "Santa Claus" will bring me a Somethin' Extra for Christmas. I'm hoping that I'll either get the plane for Christmas, or for my birthday in January. Well, I have heard that the SE will hover (I don't know at what throttle setting) with a O.S. .46FX. I don't know if this is true. Well, I have heard that you should be able to hover with only 3/4 throttle open, just so you can have some extra boost to pull yourself out of the hover or whenever you get into trouble. Would there happen to be someone who has a SE and hovers with a big engine. I'm thinking, well, I'm pretty sure that the plane has to hover with a .52 engine on it. I know that that would be more than enough power. So, any thoughs. Any thoughts about the actuall plane. Yes, I have searched the forums about the SE, and have found that half of the people say that the plane is a good second plane, and the other half say that it is not a good second plane. They recommend the 4*40 or 60. But, hopefully I can get some good feedback.....Thanks So MUCH.................Oh, by that way, please check out SCALE AIRCRAFT, then BEST SCALE PHOTO and vote for the best scale photo.........ME, Mustang51, and JUICE, will have a voting thingemabobber together in the next few days. But please check the thread out and see what you think............THANKS AGAIN
Old 11-27-2003, 08:08 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: WHAT ENGINE TO HOVER ON SOMETHIN EXTRA???

Michael:

If hovering and 3D are what you want, call Santa quickly and tell him not to bring the SE, you want an Uproar instead.

But if you insist on the SE, double the size of the control surfaces, and don't try to fly it fast.

The Magnum XLS 46 and the XL 52, are the engines I would choose between.

Bill.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:21 PM
JimTrainor

I do all my hoovering with a 120 volt AC induction motor - it's the only way to keep the noise under control

Here's a great twin: http://www.vacuumcleaners4u.co.uk/pr...roducts_id=106
Old 11-27-2003, 10:42 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The best ones I've seen have a Webra 50 and a Saito 72 in the nose. Both give the SE super performance. Pete
Old 11-28-2003, 12:03 AM
RSands

Ditto Rocketman. Webra 50 with an 11x5 APC is an awesome combo. Hovers at half throttle and this is the best prop for vertical climbs. It'll take off like a rocket and you can actually watch it accelerate. Very cool. As far as your other ?'s The SE will hover well, but it's not very good at harriers; a fair amount of wing rock. It makes a great 2nd plane IMHO, but it's going to feel VERY touchy to you if you've only flown trainers. Once you get comfortable with it, move the CG back, 2-3" aft of center of the tube is not uncommon. Also, save yourself some time in the future and add 1 - 1 1/2" to the rudder when you build it. Doesn't hurt to add 3/4" to the elevator either. Make sure you can get 45° on the elevator on high rates. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-28-2003, 01:12 AM
iflynething

Thanks you guys for the info............HAPPY THANKSGIVING.........I'M STUFFED............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......Well, what would be the same as the Magnum 46........the OS .46FX wouldn't have the same power. Well, I'm really not into the 3D things, I just want to hover. I am on a money crunch....... don't know If i can afford the 72......although I know that that will be MORE than enough power for the light plane. Yeah, I probably will add some length and width to all of the surfaces. Thanks for th einfo................
Old 11-28-2003, 03:05 AM
Banned

Are those engines (Webra .50) any more powerful than an Irvine .53...? I'm looking for an engine for my first ARF, an Ultra Stick 40.. I'm looking at the Irvine .53, and there are 2 of them on Ebay now. I've already blown $1,000 on RC stuff. And I've only got a month into this hobby/addiction. I'll wait to start buying 4cy Saitos for now.. - Joe
Old 11-28-2003, 07:39 PM
IronCross

We have a couple of guys that are hoovering (is that a word) there SE's with the
OS .46 in them. Both kits are built stock, no mods. These are a couple of young
guys and they are good. There are some others using the the Irvine .53 and there
is a noticable power increase. According to Clarence Lee's review the .53 is
the most powerful engine in it's class which includes the Webra. The Webra turned
smaller props faster then the Irvine but when it came to bigger props and torque
the Irvine won hands down
Old 11-28-2003, 08:32 PM
h8w8n

Joelansing. I have an ultrastick 40 with an Ervine 53 on the nose. I checked the thrust with a fish scale tied to the tale and at full throttle it pulled over 7lbs. It's only a 5.5lb plane. Plenty of vertical. I had it in a SE before the ultrastick and it flew great also.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:47 PM
Stanoo

I had a SE with both engines you mention a .46Fx and a Ivine .53 mine would hover with both at about full throttle the Irvine had a better climb out I loved the plane it flew awsome except for a little Yaw twich that was helped by going pull pull on the rudder your gonna have to notch out the elevator to allow more rudder travel and add a counter balance to the top of the rudder along the lines of some of the other Extra kits and I would like to see the elevator about and inch longer. Lost mine to a nasty mid air with a big heavy trainer tore one wing completley off. IF 3d is what ya want I personely like the Magic extra from model tech with both of those motors its a rocket hovers at about half with the Irvine and about 2/3 with the OS with 12.5 x 3.5 and 11x 4 apc props this thing will crawl around the field and lands like a blimp only bad thing is the covering IT SUCKS MODELTECH FIXIT im gonna have to re cover mine after only half a season but definatly and awsome flying plane. I really liked both planes but the SE took the bench between the 2

I wish Model tech would offer these in kit form.

Stano
Old 12-03-2003, 11:54 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 46 FX in mine and it hovers fine. I built it stock and light. I wouldn't change a thing. It flys awsome. Also have the Uproar and I like it too, but I like the SE better. I set the controls way sensitive and it rolls about 720 degrees per second. Pretty hot. You gotta like that.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:11 AM
rik756
My Feedback: (12)

Irvine .53

Same size as the 46's but more power. I have friend who had one and it was awesome!

Power (bhp) 1.7
Practical RMP Range 2800-17000
Prop sizes 10x9, 11x8, 11x9, 12x6, 12x7, 12x8
Old 12-04-2003, 09:17 AM
jharkin
My Feedback: (2)

Ive got a kit built SE with a 46FX. I use the tower muffler, and APC 11.5x4 and run Omega 15%. I get about 13200 peak, usualy set it to 12500 for flight. My SE now weighs about 5.5lb (midair repair) and I can hover at 50-75% throttle on a cool fall day. In the summer it will hang but cannot accelerate out.

If I could to do it again I'd go 50SX, Irvine 53, or Webra 50.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:18 AM
rik756

With the Irvine .53 you have unlimitied vertical can *tail touch* then rocket straight up! He was able to Harrier it in, drag the tail wheel and then be gone. I only flew it a couple times but with throttle management it's a sweet combo.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:08 PM
iflynething

Default RE: WHAT <span class=

I have got the ARF for Christmas........putting it together right now......well, not right now....but when my dad get home from work we will keep at it...WHAT ABOUT THE Irvine .61......would that be too much engine???? I see that the .53 is a good choice. When I got the plane, my parents also got a Mas. Airscrew 11x7....that should work out fine for me now.......THANKS FOR THE ADVICE AND INFORMATION!!!! MERRY BELATED CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2003, 06:02 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the weights. The .61 weighs too much with not much more power.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:48 PM
iflynething

The .61 is heavier........I'll just go with the .53 and call it the engine of the plane.....THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE INFO........
Old 12-27-2003, 01:48 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't be sorry. I had a lot of engines on my SE and the final one was an Irvine 53. Best 2C glow engine I have ever used!
Old 12-27-2003, 09:52 AM
IronCross

Your gonna love the .53 and it is sooo pretty
Old 12-27-2003, 11:26 PM
rik756

I got a magic extra with an Irvine .53 on it and it rocks. The magic is really close to the SE and the weaight is pretty close. I have more power than I need and can do anything with it I want. Great combo...