Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Ultra Stick 40 fixing it before you build?

Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Ultra Stick 40 fixing it before you build?

Old 11-28-2003, 03:26 AM
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Ultra Stick 40 fixing it before you build?

This is my first ARF, keep that in mind. I keep hearing about people needing to put weight in the back of this bird. I got a Hayes? glass filled engine mount and 2 foam tires that look like they'll save me 3oz off the bat. Is there anything else I want do to with an US 40's construction? I'm putting an Irvine .53 in the nose. Any special parts I should reinforce as I build? Sorry if this isn't a kit, it's one for me... - Joe
Old 11-28-2003, 08:38 AM
michpittsman
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Ultra Stick 40 fixing it before you build?

I would leave the rudder and elevator servos out until it's time to balance it; battery pack too. You may wind up moving those items to the rear fuselage. There is some work involved, but it is much preferred to adding several oz of lead to the tail. Everybody says the .40 US comes out nose heavy; mine did...JIM
Old 11-28-2003, 08:50 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Joe:

It may have been corrected, but there were several instances of the wing pulling off this plane.

Be sure everything fits snugly, and reinforce the pooh out of the mountings, possibly even use brass tubing istead of the wooden dowels.

Bill.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:05 PM
mab0852

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can't emphasize it enough, GLASS THE FIREWALL!!! Pin the wing bolt block. Replace the landing gear bolts with 1/4-20 nylon bolts. Put the rudder servo on top of the fuse just in front of the vertical at the rear of the plane and use a pull-pull setup. The stock control rods are crap so keep them short as possible, epoxy carbon tubes over them, or replace them altogether. Put the elevator servo behind the rudder servo on the side of the plane. I have had two US-40s, firewall separated on the first one, and they will balance perfect with the rest of your gear in the usual locations. Also, check the wing dowels frequently. I didn't have a problem on the first one, but they began to char and score on the maiden of the second. If you haven't picked a wing configuration, I would skip the flaps. You can't really use them unless you have a 7+ channel radio and they are just extra weight and hassle. By the way, the recommended throws are way to high unless you are used to a high performance plane. 1/4 inch of throw on the ailerons will be about like a trainer, any more and it will spin three times before you can let go of the sticks. It's a fun plane to fly, but it sure is twitchy on high rate. Hope this helps.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:28 PM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My biggest word of advice on this plane is to either fiberglass the landing gear block from the inside or rip it out before you ever fly and replace it with proper plywood. The wood they use on those blocks is pretty much useless and you can almost guarantee that you are going to have a landing that shoots the gear out the back (and hopefully doesn't do too much damage). I'm on my second US 40, love the plane, HATE the landing gear block. You'd think on the second one I would have followed my own advice. I will now though.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:31 PM
hookedonrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Although I have a US 60, I would recommend going to someplace like Lowes or Home Depot and buying a solid oak dowel of the same size. And if you can extend the dowel a little further out from the LE if you have the room. Other suggestions here are exactly what I did on the 60.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:37 PM
DrFun
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: William Robison

Joe:

It may have been corrected, but there were several instances of the wing pulling off this plane.

Be sure everything fits snugly, and reinforce the pooh out of the mountings, possibly even use brass tubing istead of the wooden dowels.

Bill.

I saw that happen 2 weeks agos a new plane and probably the first day in field, the wing mounting blocks are torn from the fuse. I say reinforce them.