Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Elder Bipe

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Elder Bipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 01:08 AM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Elder Bipe

Hello; I bought one of these at a garage sale, there was no instructions and only one wing plan, no others.

I think I can figure the build out, it will take some head scratching, and maybe some un-building to get it ringht, but do-able.

My only question (for now) is where should the c of g go? I'll do it up like the Fokker DVI
Old 12-04-2003, 10:12 PM
Roger Q.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Elder Bipe

Hi: if you are interested I have a complete kit of the Elder Bipe: will be glad to copy the plans and send them to you. I think there is also an instruction sheet/booklet. Let me know.
I am not sure how to give you my e-mail address, so just reply on this post. Rww
Old 12-04-2003, 11:44 PM
phread59

Hey Doc.

Try Great Planes. They may have plans for the old Top Flite Elder Bipe. You may be able to buy the plans cheap. I wish you luck. I have the 20 sized elder. But not the bipe.

Mark Shuman
Old 12-09-2003, 09:16 PM
donkey doctor

Hello; anything would be a great help, I likely could figure out most of it just from the picture on the box, but any help would be appreciated.

My E dress is [email protected]

Thanks again
Old 01-13-2004, 07:42 PM
rstearman
My Feedback: (185)

Mark

I notice that you have an Elder 20 and I was wondering what size engine you have in it, and how it performs. I'm just finishing mine and I have and os 26 four stroke in it. I 'm not sure it will be enough power for the plane. Any comments would be helpful.

Thank you
Rick
Old 01-13-2004, 11:34 PM
RichLockyer

ORIGINAL: phread59
Try Great Planes. They may have plans for the old Top Flite Elder Bipe. You may be able to buy the plans cheap.
Good luck with TF/GP. I bought an original Elder40 that had been sitting in a hobby shop for a LONG time.
Either the wood in the kit had grown, or the plans shrunk, but there was at least a 2% difference in the parts vs plan layout.
I contacted TF, as well as Ms. Cross directly, and was informed that they did not have archived copies of the plans that they could sell.

Imagine how surprised I was last year when they reintroduced the kit.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:19 PM
phread59

Rs sterman it's still in the box. I even have the floats for it somewhere. I believe it was a special deal. Buy the kit and get the floats. I have never gotten around to building it.

Mark Shuman
Old 01-15-2004, 01:10 PM
donkey doctor

Hello; Well I have built it, it looks goood, I covered it in red, stick-like, with Iron crosses on the wing and vertical stab. I have a Surpass 91 I can put into it. I was considering putting ailerons in teh top wing, and havent covered it or finished the trailing edge yet. I have to get to the big city to buy some aileron stock. Or I could just finish it p without upper wing ailerons. What would you do?

Also still don't know where the c of g should go.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:24 AM
RichLockyer

ORIGINAL: donkey doctor
Also still don't know where the c of g should go.
Safe bet? Start at the upper wing spar and work back from there.

A noseheavy airplane will fly poorly.
A tailheavy airplane may fly once.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:27 AM
rraskauskas

I just bought an Elder Bipe (Top flite kit # 37). What size engine would you recomend? Are you happy with yours? For curiousity, what is a fair price for the Elder Bipe kit?

... By the way if you are still building your airplane, detailed instructions are available on the Top Flite web site at no cost.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:01 PM
jucava

can you post pictures
Old 03-22-2004, 02:20 PM
rraskauskas

This is the only picture I have... I just bought the kit and have not built it yet. The specs are as follows:

Elder Biplane NEW in box by Top Flite Wingspan - 65in Wing Area - 1492 sq. in. Length - 50 1/4 in. flying weight - 8.5 lb Engine size - (2 stroke) .45, .75 (4 Stroke) .60, .90 kit - RC-37 Radio Equipment - 4 channel radio NEEDED to complete kit - Engine, Prop, Wheels, Radio, covering, Adhesive, molding tools..

What is your opinion of this kit? Is it any good?

I am planning to use a Kraft .61 engine. Do you recomend this?

Thanks for your input!
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I built and flew an Elder Biplane and loved the model. I powered mine with a K & B .61. It flew just fine. It was a beautiful model and I loved flying this slow flying little gem. Unfourtuantly, returning to Alaska for work my van was stolen in San Francisco, and I never saw that model again...or all my other gear and models. I had a small trailer on my Vanagan with my hobby in it...and it never returned...(may the flies of 1000 camels infest his private parts).

If you ever decide not to build the model...I'll trade or buy it from you.

Soft landings always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 04-13-2004, 02:02 PM
rraskauskas

Thank you I appreciate the input. I'm happy to hear that the model is worth building. I just completed the upper wing the first weekend I started building. As this is the first model I have ever attempted, it took quite some time before I started gluing anything, but once I started I was addicted. I will post pictures and updates as I near completion... this may take some time as Building will occur in spurts every month or so.

Thanks again for your input.