Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Question on Wing Incidence

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Question on Wing Incidence

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Toucan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Wing Incidence

Is there any way to check whether your Engine, Wings and Stab on the same or correct Incidence as per plans without the help of a Incidence meter?

Regards

Sharad
Old 12-04-2003, 05:12 AM
CafeenMan

Default RE: Question on Wing Incidence

Yes. You have to block up your aircraft so that whatever you choose as your reference line is level and then measure the leading and trailing edges of the wing and stabilizer.

You can get a piece of straight wood and drill it so you can mount it to the engine. Then you turn it so it is vertical and from the side, measure the angle of it to the board.

Turn it 90 degrees and you can check side thrust.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:17 AM
Toucan

Thanks Cafeen for reply, I will now explain what I did. I kept the fuselage on a level surface, now I leveled the Fuselage with Robart Inceidence meter (fixing it on to the F1 and F2 former on the top middle position).

I mounted the Robart Incidence meter to the wing tips and made it 0 degree incidence as per plans and pinned it . Same with the stabs. Engine location was as per plans at 0 degrees but traced from plans.

Problem or you can say some confusion:

After finalising incidence I had removed the fuselage from the orignal leveled position and had placed the landing gear. Now, after the landing gear got fixed I releveled the fuselage for a recheck, my position of level was changed on both wing tips and the Stab. Now to recheck what I did was to fix the Incidence meter over to the wing tip again. I level it to 0 degrees the same way I leveled the fuselage . After releveling on the wing tip my readings over both wing tips and stab are same as per orginal settings done earlier. When checked the engine thrust is + half degree.

According to me I feel I have done correct but is there any way else to be 100 percent sure what I have done is right?
Old 12-04-2003, 07:22 AM
CafeenMan

Lesson #1: Try to never move the aircraft until you're sure it's all the way you want it.

I'm sure it will be fine. Incidence isn't that critical. Your plane will fly if it's close enough. Where it will make a difference is when you start trimming the aircraft for aerobatics. At that point, you'll have to zero in everything. For now, it sounds like you've got it pretty darn close and I personally wouldn't stress about it any further until you've flown the plane.

Get a good trim chart and it will explain how to determine what's in trim and what isn't. I don't have a link, but I've seen them posted here on RCU. Just do a search for "trim chart."
Old 12-04-2003, 07:31 AM
Toucan

Thank you very much for that fast a reply. I would do that for sure as you have explained. Also will keep in mind lesson #1 always when building.

Can you tell be what would be the best way mounting the Incidence meter over a fuselage. The way I did was it fine.

Thanks

Sharad
Old 12-04-2003, 07:39 AM
CafeenMan

For the fuselage I don't use an incidence meter. I just use a level. What I meant by not moving the plane was in reference to checking out the angles. Once you get the fuselage leveled, leave it in place until you're done if possible.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:41 AM
Toucan

Thanks once again where exactlly do you put the level? Is this the same plastic spirit level.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:08 AM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: SHARADEDGE540

Thanks once again where exactlly do you put the level? Is this the same plastic spirit level.
It's just a standard hardware store level. I put it where ever I can. Normally I have to put it on top of the fuselage and shim it so that it is parallel to a reference line drawn on the side of the fuselage.