Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Has anyone built one of these? US AirCore Colt 40

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Has anyone built one of these? US AirCore Colt 40

Old 12-05-2003, 01:44 PM
donhef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone built one of these? US AirCore Colt 40

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone has built one of these kits. I'm thinking of getting one as my third plane. I'm learing to fly with two different Avistars (1 trike and 1 tail dragger) and I'm looking to learn how to fly a low wing. I want to keep the cost down to below $100.00 and I'm planning on moving the engine and radio gear from one of my present planes. I just want to know if this is a good kit and how are the flight characteristics. Any input is welcome!

(BTW, is there anyone else who's getting snow today?[X(] I finally broke down and ordered my first set of skis for my A/C. Can't wait!)
Old 12-05-2003, 02:29 PM
cde0214

Default RE: Has anyone built one of these? US AirCore Colt 40

I've never seen a colt 40 in person, so I cant comment on it. My money would either go tward a somethin exrta $74.99, or a four star. I'm building a somethin extra right now and a buddy of mine is doing the four star. I like the sig kits, my first plane was an LT-40 and it went together easy and has been a good trainer. The four star seems to be more forgiving, and I think the instructions are a little more detailed than my SE. Try to get some more info on the US aircore planes, i haven't heard too many good things about them. Just my 2 cents!!
Old 12-05-2003, 02:42 PM
O2man
My Feedback: (5)

Hi donhef,

I have the Aircore 40 Colt. I have the advantage of having flown the Aircore 40 Trainer a few years ago. Both are tough when subjected to amateurish handling. The trainer lasted through training about 35 young people to the point of solo on a single OS40sf. This required replacing the propeller many times, repair to the nose gear (tricycle) and replacing the wing spar after a particularly harsh episode ( this was my own action). The rest of the airframe is still at after 7 years.

The Colt flys roughly the same as the Trainer even though I gave it double aileron servos. My son-in-law has flown since age 14 and now, at 30 is very accomplished. He finds the Colt very relaxing(cod for boring). Consider using a 60 since these things are heavy. If you have the thumbs to solo your other planes, you will possibly be disapointed with how slowly the Aircore responds. You might be happier with something made of balsa, unless you are wanting something that can take tons of abuse and still fly on the same day.

Blessings,

Grandpa
Old 12-05-2003, 05:04 PM
rcs36
My Feedback: (4)

I have one of these. This plane was my second plane after my trainer. I know that this plane, if set up right, can be a very areobatic plane. I set mine up with a more aft CG, more throw, O.S. .46 FX w/12X4 APC prop- 15% Cool Power and the 6" shorter sport wing option. I flew this plane for the last 2 years and still enjoy it very much. It is not a 3D plane, but it will do a super nice flat spin and most of the usual manuvers very well. It does still have a trainer style wing on it so keep that in mind. Also the vertical fin wants to flutter at higher speeds. This does not affect flying any, but can not be good for servo. I used fishing string for flying wires and added dowel rods to fasten the string to with a screw to solve that problem.
Hope this helps.
Richard
Old 12-05-2003, 05:31 PM
trroscoe
My Feedback: (39)

I have a colt 40 that I built for my second plane also. I only flew it about 10 times. I got me a 4*60 and have never looked back. the colt was a dog. I had a magnum 46 on it and it didn't have enough power. I installed a K&B 65 on it and had to add a lot of tail weight to get the CG right. It flew ok but it wasn't what I expected. A friend gave me a 4*60 and I liked it so much that I bought another one. I would look at some kits or look on the marketplace for a used plane.

Rick
Old 12-06-2003, 06:59 AM
kdheath

I looked at one of these things in a hobby shop one time, and asked the owner, "That looks like a heavy dog of a thing to fly." He said, "Yeah, but I sell a lot of them."
Old 12-06-2003, 02:08 PM
rcs36
My Feedback: (4)

Mine wieght, RTF dry, 5lbs on a fish scale.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:09 PM
donhef

Thanks Folks! Really appreciate the inputs..........Maybe the Easy Sport 40 then. I want to use one of my 46FX's to power the third plane. Oh well, I have most of the winter to think about it..once again, thanks!