Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Pica kits

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Pica kits

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 06:32 PM
BearcatPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pica kits

What are you opinions about them? I see that they are laser cut, but is the parts fit still good? Do they fly more like sport planes or scale planes? Any comments would be helpful.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:28 PM
rflasch
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Pica kits

Have built the 1/5th scale Waco--the 1/5th and 1/6th scale kits are not beginner kits--
good quality good plans/instructions...........the 1/12th scale combat stuff may be easier???
Old 12-09-2003, 07:41 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Pica:

Consistently good quality, but mostly old designs. As stated, builder's kits.

Bill.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:48 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my eye on the 1/6 pica mustang for a while and i think its a better deal than the topflight . 74 inch span for 30.00 more than the topflight, also it has a semi symetrical wing. The wing is more rugged
than the topflight.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:19 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

I haven't built a Pica kit yet, but have never heard anything negative about them.
Dennis-
Old 12-09-2003, 10:20 PM
Live Wire

I have a YMF3 , it is surly a builders kit not for begginers. Great kit good plans ,wood is what can be expected in this quality kit. You can use your imagination and make these kits what you want . I have nav. lights ,Ins.panel closed hinges and the works . DE ready to build!!!!
PS IT is the 1/5th scale.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:08 AM
swooper

I can only speak from working on the Bucker Jungmeister kit, and have, as a matter of fact:
[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Pica_Bucker_Jungmeister%3A_Over_the_Hump_With_This _Kit/m_1315732/tm.htm[/link]

It seems that kits have come a long way since this kit was designed. It seems to come from a time when modelers generally had a long series of kit builds behind them, starting with rubber-powered stick-and-tissue models from their childhood. It seems kit manufacturers like Pica assumed modelers had a lot of skill, inventiveness, and perserverence. The contrast with a modern kit is striking. So you could say the kit seemed okay for its generation. Personally, I'd love to see the old kits re-designed and updated, but intead we'll probably see them continue to drop one by one out of the market.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:23 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've built almost a half dozen of 'em....and loved them all - but then I love building, sanding, gluing, etc. They all flew great too!

Jerry
Old 12-10-2003, 09:45 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Pica kits are definitely builders kits and look to be spending at least one to four months building one of thier larger kits, I lost intrest in my 1/5 waco three times which delayed completion for months. Old school technology and design with todays laser cutting. There is nothing wrong with the topflite mustang and there are lots of accs. for them from many manufacters, plus I've never heard anything about the wings being weak on them or not durable.
Just my thoughts.[:-]
Old 12-11-2003, 08:49 AM
Garthwood

I'm in the process of building a Pica Waco 1/6, definitley not a beginners kit for sure. It is my fourth built plane, and I'm glad that I've built before, otherwise the manual will lose you. The manual is not in pretty pictures like most kits, then again this is a builders kit.
Their laser cut kit is of excellent quality. I just like the way they package together this kit, in my opinion very detailed. My only complaint about this kit is the wing's center sheeting, it could have been 3/32 instead of the 1/6 they supplied, but we all do modification when building and that's one area I intend to do. You can get some very good ideas from Harry Higley on "Bipes" book, but don't go overboard, this kit don't require too many modification. That is why this kit is a builders kit, to make decisions on the way.
I'm enjoying building this 1/6 YMF, I'm not rushing it as I don't intend to fly it this coming summer, I have other projects to work on.
Good luck.
Garthwood
Old 12-11-2003, 10:26 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

A fellow club member built 3 Pica T-38's, he is building a fourth for someone else and he said this kit is terrible compared to the other 3. I started to build the 1/5 Cessna, the wood is real nice but the instructions leave much to be desired. Pica kits are heavy though.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:00 PM
RCFlyerNYC

I'm building the 1/5th Pica Waco and it's the most advanced kit I've tackled so far. It's extremely gratifying watching this plane come together so nicely. I'm learning a lot about building and the company has been very helpful answering questions and offering suggestions about radio equiptment and accessories. I'd build another Pica kit after this one
Jeff
Old 12-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Boss248

BCP...I built the larger size Waco many years ago and some of the of the areas are a little grey but a close study of the plans and good builing sence is all that is needed. As stated above the Pica kits have been around a great long time so they must be doing something right.
I sold the plane as an ARC to a life long flying buddy who fell in love with the plane and said"Name Your Price" and off it went...About a year latter he finished it and was flying the hell out of it and it really did look majestic...he did it in white and red scallops on both wings and it is still in service after about 10 years.
I'll see if I can find some pics. of it and post them here.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:08 PM
CafeenMan

Many of the Pica kits were designed by Dave Platt. He used to be part owner of the company.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:36 PM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

CM:

Not merely part owner, Pica used to be Dave Platt Models.

Bill.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:41 PM
CafeenMan

OK, his biography on his website said he had a partner which is why I thought he was a part owner. Man... I still love that duelist.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:01 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

PB66, THE difference in the wings is a horizontal sheer web in the PICA
WHICH does add strength . I built a 1/12 mustang and the tab and notch
is a joy to work with. THE wing on the 1/12 is built off the main spar and
there is no joining , which is also a pleasure.

Pica's are probably heavier, but many more Topflights are built, which tells me the plans and instructions are mabey better and the acessories
are more plentiful.

one mans dream is another mans nightmare i guess

build on
Old 12-18-2003, 01:41 AM
Boss248

BCP...below is a pic. of the Pica 1/5 Waco I built about 15 years ago. It is still flying today and it is starting to show some age. I wish I had never sold it but the guy that bought it was a good friend an a whiz with a spray gun.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62952.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	83220  
Old 12-18-2003, 02:26 AM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: Boss248

BCP...below is a pic. of the Pica 1/5 Waco I built about 15 years ago. It is still flying today and it is starting to show some age. I wish I had never sold it but the guy that bought it was a good friend an a whiz with a spray gun.
Beautiful plane there Boss. I don't even want to know how much swearing you did while masking that cowl. I never would have sold that plane.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:03 AM
dr_wogz

Just pulled my 1/6 Spit off teh top shelf. fuse & wing center section were done years ago!!
So far, impressed I guess...

Most of teh fleet is now repaired, or waiting for less snow on the runway..
Old 12-18-2003, 05:51 PM
Boss248

CafeenMan...I wish I could take the credit for covering and painting but that tedious honnor goes to a man by the name of Rich Holmes from the River City. He flies the Waco every time he comes out to the field...he s one of those type of guys that can make an airplane last that long...me...no way.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:00 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: Boss248

CafeenMan...I wish I could take the credit for covering and painting but that tedious honnor goes to a man by the name of Rich Holmes from the River City. He flies the Waco every time he comes out to the field...he s one of those type of guys that can make an airplane last that long...me...no way.
LOL... I know what you mean. Someplace on my web site I talk about doing something on a plane because it will hold up longer and one day one of my planes may actually last long enough to make use of it.