Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG 1/5 cub good or bad

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG 1/5 cub good or bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 12:54 PM
easydog1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG 1/5 cub good or bad

Has anyone built the SIG 1/5 cub? If so how is it to build and fly? is it scale?[sm=thumbdown.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-10-2003, 01:26 PM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: SIG 1/5 cub good or bad

From what I've read in two magazines and all over the internet, it's the best Cub Kit ever produced!

Yak
Old 12-10-2003, 04:02 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

You need to go to the search box and get all the pros/cons.
I've had the Sig, Goldberg and now the H9 80" ARF plus finishing a 42% scratch built. To me, they all fly the same and not much difference in building. Just try not to put too much extra wood in the tail to cause more lead in the cowl for balance.

Is this your first kit ?
Are you experienced with tail draggers ?
The cub is not a good trainer or even a second plane after the trainer tri-gear.
What engine were you planning for the plane ?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:22 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I still have mine And that sez a lot! Nice kit, very complete, just don't overpower it!

Jerry
Old 12-11-2003, 03:29 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jerry,
Has your OS .52 engine stayed cool enough in that AZ heat? Also have you ran it with 15% nitro fuel?/..........I remember that you were using a lower % in your RCM test.
Thanx
Old 12-11-2003, 09:02 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Haven't flown it 'down' here yet.....messed up one strut in the move and haven't replaced it! I did fly it once with 15% and yes, there is a difference, especially at idle and response to quick movements of the throttle stick.

Gotta get that strut fixed!!!!!

Jerry
Old 04-16-2004, 12:03 AM
jmkington

The new 1/5 scale sig cub is a dream kit to build. I loved every moment of it and couldnt pull myself away. I have also built the goldberg cub kit and just found it to lack some of the quality of the sig. I also this this plane is a GREAT second plane and could be a trainer with the right instructor. I havent flown in a while and used it as a trainer just fine. Just takes some instruction on the take-offs and landings but thats about it. Its huge wingspan 84.5 in...makes it a great plane in the air.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:33 AM
Red B.

I have recently purchased the Sig 1/5 Cub kit.
First of all I would like to thank SIG for their decision to manufacture a Cub KIT. In a time when ARFs are the norm it is nice to know that there still are some manufacturers that cater for the traditionalists among us that enjoy building our aircraft ourselves.

I am about to start the construction and so far I have only looked through all the parts in box. As far as I can tell this will be a very nice build. Almost every part is laser cut and it is possible to assemble most of the fuselage before applying any glue.

The kit appear to be very well thought out. As an example, SIG has simplified the previously rather tedious process of adding wing spar webbings by providing the webbing as a long one piece part, laser cut to interlock with the wing ribs.
All parts to build either the clipped or full span wing is included in the kit. I appreciate that SIG has opted for a two-piece plug-in wing. This will make transportation a lot easier.

As for scale looks, the 1/5 Cub is definitely sport scale. This is probably not a bad thing. Most builders will build the kit without any modifications and end up with an aircraft that looks a lot better than most of the ARF Cubs that swamp the market.
On the other hand, if you want to do I nice scale job, the very well thought out construction will save you a lot of time that could be spent on modifying some components and adding scale detail.

Some things that could be improved for a more scale look:

IMHO the cabin area of the Sig 1/6 Cub is closer to scale.
The new kit has a rather substantial lite-ply former behind the windshield that doesn't look very scale but on the other hand it should be very strong. Although not to scale, I have decided not to modify this component.

A nice touch is the door and window, that can be opened. The locking mechanism need to be modified however, now it's anything but scale.

The stabilizer is built using laser cut balsa parts and should go together really quick. However, the stab attachment to the fuselage is not to scale. It would be nice to modify this part to mimic the variable incidence-arrangement of the full size Cub.

The cowl is one piece F/G. I haven't checked the measurements yet but to my eye it the front part of the cowl is to wide compared to the full size.

The dummy engine supplied is ABS plastic and O.K. for a stand-a-long-way-off scale job but nothing more. However, it's not that difficult to build an engine dummy using balsa/ply discs and parts from the scrap box.

The U/C is unsprung and soldered from preshaped piano wire. There is a very nice looking sprung U/C available from Robart that that I would like to add to my Cub.

The ailerons are not Frise-type as on the full size Cub but are simplified in construction. IMHO, a bad decision by SIG. Frise-type ailerons are not that difficult to build.

The jury struts are brass tubing which is O.K. but I think there is room for improvement when it comes to mounting them. I will try to come up with another arrangement than the one shown on the plans (simply flattening the ends of the tubing, drilling a hole through it and attaching the jury-strut to the wing and struts with screws.

/Red B.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:55 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wonderful plane.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:10 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Red B. What are Frise-type ailerons and what are the specific steps you would do to change the kit's stock units to Frise? Thanks!
Old 04-17-2004, 04:06 PM
briansommers
My Feedback: (2)

well this is a great thread, as i plane to get a cub next month, im torn though between the sig kit 1/5 and the gp 90" cub, which is more scale? which is easier to build? sounds like the sig is a real winner
Old 04-19-2004, 08:42 PM
irussel

ORIGINAL: briansommers

well this is a great thread, as i plane to get a cub next month, im torn though between the sig kit 1/5 and the gp 90" cub, which is more scale? which is easier to build? sounds like the sig is a real winner
I haven't built either, but i've heard the GP cubs tend to end up way too heavy. I'll get the sig 1/5 scale eventually...the fiberglass cowl and 2 piece wing make the difference for me.

irussel
Old 04-19-2004, 09:11 PM
Jeepindog

I am almost finished covering my SIG 1/5 scale Cub, and it was a really easy-to-build, fun plane. This is my second kit. The first plane I ever built was about 12 years ago, and it ended up looking like a drunk monkey fell down two flights of stairs with it, then got into a mess of Monokote with a blowtorch. Anyway, this SIG Cub looks great. I am covering it with 21st Century Fabric, and that stuff is great. I did a great job on the wing panels. The only hard part about covering it is trying to use one piece of covering to go from the top of the cabin back across the top fuse stringers (one side at a time) and then up onto the vertical fin, like real Cubs are covered. The transition from top stringers to fin is TOUGH, and one side came out great- the other side is not as great, but still pretty good from about 5 feet away. Enjoy.

Lachlan