Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

How much dihedral in an LT40?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

How much dihedral in an LT40?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 07:14 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much dihedral in an LT40?

I've got my table built and my kit on it. It's time to start building but I'm still deciding how much dihedral to put in the wing. I'm very seriously considering just building it flat! Being high wing it has natural dihedral anyways. I've flown a little before and am putting in time on flight sims. I will also have an instructor. Let me know if you think the plane will handle better! Thanks!
Old 12-10-2003, 08:20 PM
JNorton

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How much dihedral in an LT40?

When I built mine I used 1/2 the dihedral called for. My Father-in-law used the normal dihedral. I couldn't tell that much difference in the way they flew. If you are aware that you'll lose some self correcting / leveling capacity I would talk to your instructor, if he agrees I'd build the wing flat.

Just my 2 cents.

John
Old 12-10-2003, 09:20 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

i'VE FLOWN A NUMBER OF CONFIGURATIONS, IT MOSTLY HAS TO DO WITH YOUR ABILITIES, PERIOD. I F YOU HAVE EXERIANCE THE FLATTER THE BETTER. REMEMBER YOU WILL GET BETTER REALLY FAST IF YOU GO WITH A FLAT WING. HAVE FUN......GIZMO
Old 12-11-2003, 10:30 PM
silvercloud-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with gizmo flat is nice I still have mine with a flat wing and its still great fun to fly .It is usually the first plane out of the hanger after not being out to the field for a while it helps give the confidence level a boost.good luck Dave
Old 12-12-2003, 11:34 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Build it flat, you won't get bored with it as fast.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:09 PM
CRFlyer

We recommend to all our new people to build the LT-40 with half or less dihedral than called for.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:09 PM
spokman

You guys rock! Thanks for all the great advice! Flat it is! Now I need to figure out what to use to join the wings...
Old 12-12-2003, 09:32 PM
N1EDM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've built it with stock dihedral and flat, and am just now building it with about 2 degrees.

Just so you know, the flat wing will be more agile that the stock dihedral, but on the ground you will take a lot of ribbing because of the 'droopy' wing. It just looks that way.

By the way, when I built it flat, I bought new balsa and ran the center section sheeting all the way across. I think it made it stronger.

The flat wing will fly inverted more easily and will roll much better. The changes won't be extreme or dramatic, but they'll be there..

Right now, I'm building a new one with about half the dihedral in it. Just something to bore holes in the sky with.. it'll be fun whichever way you make the wing..

You might also consider putting in two ailerons and running flaperons. Just remember that those wings have to be super straight and the flaperons have to drop evenly. Try them out one mistake high, straight and level, the first time if you go that route.

Enjoy...

Just my $.02

Bob
Old 12-12-2003, 10:57 PM
spokman

I'm only using a 4 channel radio so I'm pretty sure I can't do flaperons. I'm definetly going flat! I've also added Dubro plastic landing gear instead of the wire main gear. I thought about going tail dragger on it but like the idea of the front gear protecting my engine. The only other mod I hear people recomending is to add support for the vertical stab as it can break loose from what I understand. Time to go start the wing on my pristine sheetrock covered table! Any other mods you can think of that I should incorporate? Appreciate all the help!
Old 12-13-2003, 12:18 AM
sigrun

If you don't need the recommended dihedral, you've chosen the wrong kit.
Old 12-13-2003, 03:36 AM
spokman

Oh I don't know. Low wing loading and slower flying are still bonuses without all the self righting capabiltiy of the dihedral. Got one wing almost done! Still have at least an hour left on it though then it's on to the next one. Should go much faster! I was a little disappointed with the fit on some of the parts though, especially the web braces? The 2" pieces that go between the the ribs. Mine were short. I had to add small balsa braces to augment them. Seems like I shouldn't have to do that but my wing still looks good.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:56 PM
N1EDM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Regarding my comments about the LT-40, you can very definitely fly it on four channels, even with the modified wing (whether you have all, part or no dihedral in it).

I was only suggesting that you use flaperons. I wasn't trying to insinuate that they were required. In fact, the wing I am talking about will have only one servo for ailerons.

Sorry if I created any confusion...

Bob
Old 12-13-2003, 08:37 PM
spokman

Thanks for the input! I definetly appreciate it! Maybe flaperons are a mod in the future! Or on my next plane! Have a great weekend!
Old 12-13-2003, 08:40 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Spokeman-you have it dialed. It will work very well and be lots of fun. Be sure to spend enough time with it to really get the most out of it and then move on to the next level. HAVE FUN, Gizmo.