Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

TF corsair construction underway

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

TF corsair construction underway

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 04:55 PM
Balsa Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF corsair construction underway

whats the power to weight on a ST G-90?

was gonna stick it in the nose of a TF corsair with CJ retracts, doors and flaps. i no it will have the power to move it but for the price, is there anything that will scoot it along better? (engine @ tower is 129.99 us$)

note: i prefer a 2 stroke eventualy, (maybe next year) i plan on getting a jett and using that with the corsair and my future patriot
Old 12-12-2003, 05:23 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: TF corsair engine?

As long as the maximum weight of the Top Flite Gold Edition Corsair .60 is kept below 9.5 pounds, as per specs, it will fly very nicely with a SuperTigre .90 on board. It will even fly nicely with a .61, if kept within specs.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:21 PM
cknaack
My Feedback: (1)

The TF Corsair is a great flying model, but it will only go through the air so fast with that big hose nose. Any decent .61 2 stroke will do just fine provided it is not a lead sled.
I used a YS 91AC 4 stroke in mine and it had way more power than the airplane could really use.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:17 PM
Balsa Master

k thanx for advise. i love the referece to "lead sled" gotta remember that one. ill do the .90 just for the extra umph, i never expected it to be a speed deamond (thats what the patrot was for) but i did want it to make its WWII counterparts proud
Old 12-13-2003, 09:45 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an ST90 in mine and consider it a perfect match. Didnt seem like too much power to me. The added advantage is, it will fit entirely inside the cowl. Use a slimline large volumne pitts muffler and you're set. Personally, I think the sound with that setup was much better than a four stroke engine. Has a nice growl to it and sounds great on a low fly by. Once broke in the engine never needed tweeking. Didnt even bother drilling a hole in the cowl for the high speed needle valve. The only holes in the cowl where for the muffler and glow driver. Mine weighed in at 9.5 lbs with flaps and retracts with moneykote covering and flew great. Dont use robarts. Spend the money and get good retracts.
Edwin
Old 12-13-2003, 10:49 AM
cknaack

Edwin is right about the Robart 615's. Don't waste your money. Robart typically builds a great retract, but the 615's are under built and if they get the slightest bit tweaked, they bind. I think sierra precision is working on a set for the TF Corsair.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:47 PM
Balsa Master

glad i went for the scale look and bought the CJ then. (the robarts looked ugly, i usualy like them but not these) thanx for the help everyone. what you think of doing a fabric cover, of a fiberglass cover on the plane, i have the skills to do both, but am not sure what ould look betton on it. if you have one done either way then please tell me, i plan on reinforcing the grear area wiht CF (since ai have a bunch left from previous endevores) was planing to also ru na strip of CF tape (which i also have) down the LE for a little more stifness and dent resistance.

wht you think? also, does your plane have a cockpit setup? was also planing to do a little hatch in wings for acess to the (machine guns)
Old 12-13-2003, 07:02 PM
cknaack

The CF may be a good idea for dent resistance, but it is certainly not necessary for strength. I used 3/32" sheeting on mine instead of the 1/16" TF supplies. I am really glad that I did. Better strength, and it gives you a little more to sand with in the gull area, as you will need to cut separate pieces to get it right. I covered mine with Ultracote. What a great film! A friend did a full cockpit kit, but I did not cut in any hatches, I'll probably do that on my Ziroli. I would go the film route vs. a glass type finish. Although you can keep them light, the film usually comes out lighter. For this bird, the lighter, the better.

Good luck!
Old 12-13-2003, 10:21 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

cknaack,
I also used 3/32 sheeting on the top gull area only but what a pain to get it down. Can you post a couple of photos of your Corsair?

Balsa Master
Skip the CF on the LE. There is alot of shaping you must do and the CF will only get in the way especially if you want to try scale tips and MGP's. Consider a couple of coats of sanding sealer to toughen the wood some.

Pete
Old 12-13-2003, 11:17 PM
cknaack

Rocketman,

I have since sold the Corsair to Corsairjock. I tip stalled it during an engine flame out. I had bought a new wing kit, but could never find the time to put it back together. It is in good hands with Corsairjock. I do not have any pictures, sorry.

Trust me when I say use the 3/32 sheeting. It is more of a challenge, but it can be done without too many issues. I found that wetting one side of the wood really helps. Medium CA and a little kicker also helps.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:21 PM
Balsa Master

thanx for advise, 1/16? ive never used ne thing that thin in sheeting, thats just flimsy. (i just really want to use some CF, i have a bunch sitting around, really good stuff and i got nothing to make indistuctable lol JK about the indistructable part, ah solution! ill use it in place of FG on the joints. i have somthing like 200 megs of pics on my HD of various corsairs so im not woried about what the details look like. what you think of a fabric covering like silk or somthing?

ah, the one detail i couldent find, what size wheels to use. ne advise, im useing the century jet retracts for the TF corsair.

how bout this? i love power, cant get enough... i relize the plane flies fine with the .60's ans such, but i wouldetn want my corsair to feel inferior to its WWII counterparts (big engine bigger prop then they built the plane around it) gotta love that philosophy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53479.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	82195  
Old 12-14-2003, 04:36 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No doubt your Corsair will cook with that combo. Keep us posted with your results. I'm using an RCV90 in mine hope to be done over the next month or two. Pete
Old 12-14-2003, 05:43 PM
Balsa Master

will do, ill post a new thread in a few months when i start, (need it to be warm out) the engine says it can turn a 18X8 wil lthe 16X10 work?

ill find a didgital camera somewhere to take some "under sonstruction" shots

what size wheels shuld i stick on it? i cant determin what to use for mains. i know i wanna use the WWII scale robart wheels but dont know what size. was thinking 3" but have no real idea.

how much will i have to reinforce the firewall ans nose to hold up to that engine? and is that a good engine? ive never used that brand b4 ive been sheltered my whole rc life and have only used OS and FOX oh and a norvel.061 none of which being over a .60 this is the second larges plane ive built, hope it comes out good. gonna wait the hours and use wood glue for extra strength and less price (2 oz ca from LHS is 10$ here thats outragious.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:25 PM
ganu

maybe not the right thread for this question but how do the CJ's compare next to the 615's. The sierra one's may be out of my price range. Stearing clear of product bashing, someone enlighten me about the difference between the 615's and the CJ's.

Gary
Old 12-19-2003, 10:10 PM
Balsa Master

UPDATE:

arived from tower:
1 - 14X7 master airscrew 3 blade prop
1 - corsair looking prop nut
1 - 14 oz fule tank
1 - TF corsair .60-.80
1 - robart tail retract
1 - magnum 1.08 engine with muffler.

hope to start building after christmas some time.
man this is one nice engine.
updates later when i have them.