Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

servos and kit building.........

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

servos and kit building.........

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 05:24 PM
RichD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servos and kit building.........

Do you have to have the servos available to build a kit? Or can you build the kit, then add the servos?

Looking into the Fantasy, but not going to be getting a new radio anytime soon.

Just want to build the Fantasy, then make it flight ready later.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:35 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: servos and kit building.........

It's not required to have the servos that you are going to use in a kit when you build it, but it can be helpful. They provide a great assist in laying out where you are going to locate the radio gear.

If you have any standard servos around they can be used for orientation of radio gear. If you don't just make certain that you don't get yourself into positions that require a built in servo that cannot be easily removed. I don't think the Fantasy has any of that type.

The Fantasy is a good flying plane from the couple that I have seen. Good choice.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:27 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RichD

Do you have to have the servos available to build a kit? Or can you build the kit, then add the servos?

Looking into the Fantasy, but not going to be getting a new radio anytime soon.

Just want to build the Fantasy, then make it flight ready later.
Rich, no problems at all with geting the servos later, but you've got to make sure you have the pushrod guides, wiring tubes, etc built into the fuse or wing. How do you plan to do the covering ? I prefer to cover the tailfeathers and control surfaces separately, and assemble them like an arf. Good luck !
Old 12-13-2003, 01:20 PM
kdheath

How about borrowing a servo or two from someone you know so that you can set up the mounts and pushrods during construction? It is a devil of a time trying to install pushrods, linkages, and servos in a finished airframe. Ask experienced builders how thay know!
Kelvin
Old 12-13-2003, 07:29 PM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

Before I build a kit I determine the type of servos and how many I will install. If I plan On installing an over weight engine I plan to move the servos further back in the airframe to save adding weight to ballance the plane. I often use mini servos in the wings instead of a standard inside the fuse. In cramped quarters small servos make installation possible.
One of the great advantages of building it yourself is customizing it to you liking. I keep my airframes light, try to ballance them without adding weight, if I have to add weight I do it with using a stronger or heavier component.
Whether it is wood, engine , servo or radio gear make sure the strength, torque or power is appropriate for its use.