Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

LT40 Parts don't fit quite right..

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

LT40 Parts don't fit quite right..

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 03:44 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT40 Parts don't fit quite right..

I'm almost finished with one wing half and the webs are not long enough to span to the ribs. I'm wondering if this is standard for this kit? I also noticed some other pieces not fitting real well. I've added small wood shims to compensate for the web and sanded some other pieces into shape. I'm just curious if this is normal for this kit? Besides that I thought the building was rather easy so far. I'm planning on finishing the wing.. and a six pack of beer.. today! I have a very mild u shaped warp on the leading edge. We are talking less than a 16th of and inch and the rest of the wing is flat. Do you think this will adversely effect flying? I'm thinking that it won't matter. It seems to be part of the leading edge piece also. If I rotate the leading edge on my table part of it is straight. Time to build the other half!
Old 12-14-2003, 09:00 AM
iowanspctr

Default RE: LT40 Parts don't fit quite right..

The shear webs don't have to meet the ribs, just make sure they're securely glued to the spars. The wing irregularity probably won't be noticeable once you're finished. It should fly just fine. Be careful with the balance, they can build tail heavy.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:46 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll second that
Old 12-14-2003, 11:01 AM
jester125

Im also at that same building stage on my LT-40 so thats good news, I was getting a little nervous.

chris
Old 12-14-2003, 11:53 AM
CafeenMan

Beer and building aren't good partners. Don't be surprised when you end up with two left wings.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:15 PM
Balsa Master

lol IVE DONE THAT only i wasnt drinking so i feel REALLY stupid, anyway, thay make this magical stuff, i believe they take paper and slober it in glue then dip it in this really fine sand stuff, i forget what they call it but it comes in all these really cool different grits... ne way back to actualy useful help, if it dont fit, cut one that does...
Old 12-14-2003, 06:46 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

Alright so I didn't drink quite a six pack, just a few while working. Second wing turned out a little better than the first! Kinda curious how it could turn out tail heavy as the body is premade and there isn't anything to the tail.. I'm mildly concerned that the 1" strip of fiberglass is a littls small but after considering that rubber bands also help give the wing support it is probably just fine. Also I'm building my wing flat. Sanded the two plywood joiner pieces flatter so they will join a flat wing. Was considering epoxying the two hardwood pieces you end up with about 3 inches worth between the 4 wing spars to make up for the shaved off wood on the two center joiners. It's pretty minimal but the ply on hardwood isn't quite as aligned as it was. Then I'm also going to use one piece of monokote on the bottom and wrap it half way around the top. That should be good for serious wing strengthening I would think.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:17 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't build it flat. Why mess with a proven design? You could use a little less dihedral than they say, but I wouldn't take too much out.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:09 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

I agree with Mike, don't build it flat. It builds tail heavy because the tail is so long and that multiplies things very quickly, and the lite ply used doesn't help matters either.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:44 PM
Balsa Master

easy solution for the tial weight, double the recomended engine

you can almoast never have too much power... well almoast.