Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

4*40 / Sealing decals from fuel...

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

4*40 / Sealing decals from fuel...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 11:32 PM
lparks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4*40 / Sealing decals from fuel...

Could someone tell me the best way to seal the decals from fuel? Or is it even necessary?? These are the type that you simply cut out and stick on after peeling off the backing (though I did use windex to get them smooth). The covering is metallic monoKote in green and charcoal.

Hopefully, the images went somewhere when I clicked upload...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79760.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	82340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58592.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	82341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17376.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	82342  
Old 12-15-2003, 08:24 AM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 4*40 / Sealing decals from fuel...

Nice looking model!!! Well since they look like the stickers that come with the kit they shoud be some what fuel resistant. I said stickers because they where the peel and stick variety, Right ?

Make sure all the edges are stuck down. That really helps. Keeping them clean after the days flying is good as well. A few gents that I knew would wax there models. It seemed to work but I didn't care for that much effort.
Sun and fuel will eventually cause them to loosen. A lot of guys with the patience to do so will cut them out of monokote. That's a more permanent solution. Looks like your pretty good with monokote.
If the decals are of the water variety you could use a product by Aero Gloss called Fuel Proofer. Test it on a scrap piece before using it on the rest. It shouldn't but it may dissolve the decal, so test first. The fuel proofer can be used on the peel and sticks as well. Apply it lightly !
One other suggestion. The colors that you have the model in are nice. Put you could use a little more white. Those two dark colors will blend well at a distance. Could disorient you at times. A lot of folks have lost there models due to a lack of color difference between top and bottom. Just a suggestion. Good luck and have fun!!! [&:]
Old 12-15-2003, 10:22 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the soap water/squeezee method on my 4*60 and the decals went on well and after many gallons of fuel burnt, they are still intact. I made sure that the tips of the stars were cut rounded so that they don't lift easily. I did notice the forward tips of the stars on the right wing and right horiz stab starting to peel a little due to exhaust residue (my muffler is on the right side). So, what I did was to punch out some discs out of clear monokote with a paper puncher. I just ironed on the discs on the tips that are lifting and they work great ! No more peeling. The decals on the left side of the plane has not experienced any lifting whatsoever. Good luck !
Old 12-15-2003, 08:58 PM
lparks

Thank you for the notes guys. After reading over several posts on ther subject the last few weeks, I had gotten the idea that many attempts to fuel proof decals have done more harm than the fuel. I will take your advice, leave them as is, and keep them clean. When they do fail, I will make my own from monoKote...

I have been aching to fly this plane since finishing the building job weeks ago, but it is winter here and it will have to wait until the spring thaw, which usually bcome in late April or May...
Old 12-16-2003, 12:34 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

I have had good success sealing just the edges with clear fingernail polish. It is especially helpfull for those graphics that are down stream from the engine exhaust. Once the edge starts to come up then the whole sticker is in jeopardy.