Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where to beef up a Stinger 60?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where to beef up a Stinger 60?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 09:29 PM
RD350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to beef up a Stinger 60?

I am building a stinger 60 kit.
I thought that I was finished and just needed to cover it, then I found a few posts saying that all stingers are weak and will break.

Where is this? I would like to fix it now before it happens.

Also for the money I have in it, all hardware and coving materials, I could have bought the ARF cheaper.
Please tell me that the kit is a better plane. If it isn't tell me that too.

Thanks
RD350
Old 12-16-2003, 10:00 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Where to beef up a Stinger 60?

There are several places that need extra care, first: Use light fiber glass with pvc pipe glue to "glass" the inside of the plastic parts including the cowl. They will crack soon if not done in this manner. Do not get the glue on the outside as it will show when you finish them.Use rubber gloves. Second: use tri-stock epoxyed on the inside of the bulkheads in front of the wing and to the rear of the wing. Third: place half inch carbon fiber strips(three) spaced over the areas tri-stocked. (the rear ones over the area the plans tell you to score and "crack" ) and the front ones where the forward wing sits into the fuse. The carbon runs in the same direction as the fuse. epoxy it carefully and sand, it will be hidden when covered. This is a good flying plane and could be much better if Lanier would make it lighter, it's a tank![>:]
Old 12-19-2003, 01:30 PM
RD350

I found 1.5 OZ fiberglass cloth. Is that light enough??
Old 12-19-2003, 07:22 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

I could tell you if I saw it. If it is about the thickness of a linen sheet or thinner thats fine. This is to keep the plastic from cracking, the cowl especially. The glue will soften the plastic enough for a good bond. After drying the glass will trim on the edges and smooth out . Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.