Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Who's building the Sig 1/5 scale Cub?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Who's building the Sig 1/5 scale Cub?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 03:04 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Who's building the Sig 1/5 scale Cub?

Tom C;
That is a Bassett in the photo and we have two. If they had better ear muscles I think they could fly. How much snow do you have there? I've been getting some time in on my Sumthin Extra with skies the last couple day.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:26 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Steve, Bassetts are cool!!! Mine makes me take breaks when she thinks I've been building for too long a stretch.

Right now, we only have a foot of snow on the ground. This has been a funny winter. The first snow was on the first of October. Way early for us. We've had heavy snow a number of times since then, but's melted each time, another rare occurence. I live a couple of blocks from Lake Michigan. The lake evaporates and the moist rising air hits the cold air aloft and causes snow. Usually we have four or more feet on the ground by now. It usually stays until April.

The weather has been bad enough that I haven't flown since October. It gives me pleny of time to spend in the shop.

You'll like your Cub. I've owned three of Goldberg's version. Next one will be a Sig.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:55 PM
Steve

Here is a picture of the cowl work so far. I hope it will look ok when its done.

Tom C;
We should be getting more snow soon. Our big snow months are usually Febuary, March. We realy need the snow water this year.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58119.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	89957  
Old 01-12-2004, 07:06 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Steve, The cowl looks good. Twins make for interesting installations in slim cowls, don't they?!
Old 01-12-2004, 07:51 PM
Steve

Yes they do, but it has taught me a little too. I've also had three Goldberg Cubs that I built over the years. If this one flys like the Goldberg Cub, I know I'll be happy with it.

Steve
Old 01-13-2004, 12:49 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you get ready to tail touch the cub , Please take a few Pic''''s. NEED moe power! Could not resist I'll stay with the 52 . They don't like to land they love the air. Wait till you see it tail slide and it will fly inverted as long as you remember witch way is up. When in the air don't forget wher the rudder is and use it !
Old 01-14-2004, 10:17 AM
Steve

Outlaw,
I thought about the 300 twin but couldn't aford it!!!! I'll post more pictures soon and thanks for the flying info.

Steve
Old 01-14-2004, 09:36 PM
Live Wire

I wish I cold show you pic of my Cub but don't have a diggie yet , have a bunk but no scanner. On the hatch on the top where the tub go's threw I cut out the bottom at an angle so you could get it off they did not show or explain it in the instruction. I leave the struts on the wings only take me about 5 min. to get into the air . Have a good one!
Old 01-16-2004, 12:22 AM
Steve

The instruction book does need improvement. It doesn't explain the door very well either. I'm going to put allen head type bolts on the struts instead of the supplied ones.

Steve
Old 02-02-2004, 04:07 PM
bluebikerblan

Steve.......Beautiful job on the Cub! I just got the kit and am searching for kit ideas and tips etc. with hopes for this one being one of my best ever. "Saito .60 something", I was thinking, then POW I see your clipped wing with a 1.30 twin! "Holy Smoly where's this guy going with that"? I said to myself. Excuse me, I will follow this with great interest but you'll have to look a long way aft to see me and my effort. Who knows, maybe our paths will cross. I'll be flying at Bridgerland RC Logan, Utah. You also have a lot more snow! Best of Luck! Blue
Old 02-03-2004, 10:53 AM
Steve

Default RE: RE: Who's building the Sig 1/5 scale Cub?

Thanks Blue. You are going to enjoy building this one. I went with the Saito 1.30 mainly for the scale appearance. Also, the carbs are in the back of the engine, near centerline, and not on top as the 100 twin is set up. Tom David sent me a photo CD of a restored Cub with lots of good photos on it. He may be willing to send one off to you also if you ask him. Realy neet guy to do something like that. One of the photos is on page one of this post, a close up of the engine and cowl.

You will have to keep me posted of your local fun-fly dates this year. You are not too far away and I like to hit four or so events a summer. One of my favorites is Alpine Wy. in October. I should be getting mine finished up soon.

Steve
Old 02-03-2004, 01:28 PM
Fidsatom

Blue

As Steve says, I have some shots of the Cub restored by the EAA that they put in their Airventure museum. They are mostly detail shots with flash so if you want a CD just ask. Personally, I just need more time to work on mine

Tom
Old 02-03-2004, 06:08 PM
Steve

Got my pilot by Diane today.

Name:	Da83264.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	97112  
Old 02-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Boss248

Steve...you sure did a clean job on installing the windows...how do you attach your window/canopy. I never seem to get the clean job I want.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:24 PM
JimTrainor

Cub pilots solo in the back seat!!
Old 02-03-2004, 11:31 PM
Steve

I always use RC-56 for the windows. I put a light coat to attach the window or canopy. When the glue dries, I put more on as a fillet arround the base. This may take two or three more coats of glue, very small amounts. Then mask and paint over the glue. The RC-56 glue is easy to work with and cleanup is also easy if you get it on the window. Hope this helps. I'm still learning stuf myself.

The pilot's just doing pre-flight at the moment!!
Old 02-12-2004, 11:56 AM
bluebikerblan

Thanks for the feedback Steve and Tom. The feedback and tips are appreciated and will be heeded. Built two other projects this winter, have now cleared the decks for the Cub build and am underway. Hands down this Sig kit is the best looking box of contents I've ever opened! Think I lucked out with the pick of the 1/5th from Sig from amongst so many offerings. Tom, I will take you up on the offer re original phots and will attempt to contact you separately re info. While the J-3 was one of a very few full size planes I got to fly (In the day), I can't recall if the tail rigging was cable or solid rod. I've had some nice results with wire rigging and am not too crazy about the solid rod, clipped clevis approach of the kit. Thoughts? As well, I've got to make the call on the engine now/soon and am thinking Saito .65 GK but have no experience with it or four cycles for that matter. Just seemed like the thing to do for an old slow flyer like me. Plus it sure is purty.
Then again, I'll listen carefully to thoughts you all may have and heed.

Steve, I'll give serious thought to driving up your way to see you and yours fly, that will be an event! Moreover I'd trade a dinner out offer for a painting lesson. Thats beautiful work. PS We may have caught up to ou re snow. Not!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:28 PM
Steve

Got the cowl done but I have to repaint because the paint isn't a match. Close to flying!!

Name:	Wu62044.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	105057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57702.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	105058  
Old 02-26-2004, 10:27 PM
Jeepindog

Just got my SIG 1/5 Cub today! What a beautiful kit. The quality of the wood is exceptionally good, and the laser-cut parts are going to make this a really straight and solid airframe. Where can I get one of those CDs of full-scale Cub pics? I am going to go as scale as I can with this one. I hope to build it into a flying piece of art!

Lachlan
Old 02-26-2004, 10:38 PM
JimTrainor

I see he is still doing the pre-flight.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:33 AM
bluebikerblan

Steve, Great Job on the twin installation and cowl fit. Like the way you did the cabin interior and Robart Cub gear. All please note the review of this kit in the latest (April 04) review in 'Model Aviation' by Mark Lanterman. Will make those of you on the fence about which Cub kit, jump off. Sig does have a winner in this one! I'm going the same way with Robart strut assembly. However, my build has hit a big snag. Gotta put things on hold while we move into a new house nearby. Checkin the weather Steve......either put that first fly on hold or slip on some skis! How did the balance work out with the big twin?
Old 02-27-2004, 08:14 PM
Steve

Jeepindog; just PM Fidsatom above and I think he will send you a CD. It has a lot of good photos in it. The kit is a joy to build. Post some pics if you get a chance. I did add weight to the tail for ballace before I covered the plane, a couple of ounces or so.

Jim Trainor; preflight takes lots of time!!!

Blue; thanks for the heads up on the review. We got more snow yesterday and more to come so I think the weather will definitly be a factor.

Steve
Old 02-27-2004, 10:00 PM
Live Wire

You are doing one great job on this aircraft . You will have no problem with plane as long as you do a preflight. They are a great flying plane , ready to start a new season on mine XL 52 and all that power, what are you going to do at low idle, and not being able to land!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2004, 01:33 PM
Steve

Thanks RC Outlaw. I'll have the throtle set up for dead stick if I need to. All my Goldberg Cubs landed good dead stick if there was no wind to help out. I just don't like to fetch.

Steve
Old 02-28-2004, 03:08 PM
bluebikerblan

Now here's an interesting question and selection chanllenge......one I doubt anyone's made before. One that Steve's looking at. You've got a 1.30 twin in a 1/5 scale clipped wing cub weighing XXX. Can you help us with that weight Steve? It will have signifigant thrust at idle I suspect. i.e. the deadstick setup contingency plan. I would like to hear what prop you would pick everyone? Does anybody make a 12/1?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.