Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP Ultimate Bipe wing servo and cowl

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP Ultimate Bipe wing servo and cowl

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 10:53 AM
rjbarthel
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Ultimate Bipe wing servo and cowl

hey can I get some input on the wing servo for the Great Planes Ultamate Bipe 40 ! I know tha kit shows only one wing servo in the plans. But short of building it with 2 servos has anyone used just the called for single servo but a high torque type . Such as a futaba S3305 standard size high torque metal gear . It specs at 99 oz. torque with 4.8v.
im just looking at the lighter build wieght and less the wing mod for 2 servos. But with a improved standard build as to plans.
im just wondering if the extra money for the hi-torque servo would be just more of a expence than a improvement [sm=confused.gif]
I want to stay as close to the plans as i can but build the best I can also ! Im going with the 4-40 rods for conecting the ailerons instead of the 2-56 rods supplied. also im going to build with robart hinges ..
The second part of my question is if anyone has tryed to lay a layer of fiber glass on the inside of the ABS cowl. I have read that the stock abs cowl cracks and many have replaced it with a fiber glass one .. Im not talking of a thick heavey layer just a thin one like one would use for covering and just a single layer just as a way of making the ABS stronger ! or is this justa dumb idea [&:] I hope someone has some thoughts on this. I want to stick to the plans but with any improvements I can make if that makes any sence hahaha thanks for any input
Old 12-27-2003, 06:23 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: GP Ultimate Bipe wing servo and cowl

I have seen several (Mine included) where there was ONE STANDARD SERVO in the center of the bottom wing which controlled all 4 ailerons. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this setup. If you could see how mine can snap, you wouldn't think twice about going through the extra work and weight of a second servo.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:21 PM
rjbarthel

well maybe I didnt explain myself good enough !!! I dont plan on installing 2 servos !! just thought maybe a single stronger one would be better than the normal standard called for ! Or maybe it wasnt worth the extra expence to even do that ! so I will put you in the leave well enough alone catagory..
Old 12-27-2003, 09:12 PM
Chuckr53-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

I have the same kit in stock to build at some point (after my Venture 60 & Sig 1/5 Cub). In order to keep the weight and wing loading down, I plan on using only one servo for the ailerons. I'll buy a fast servo that has a higher torque rating, like a Hitec HS-925MG. I don't like the ABS cowls at all, so I'll be buying a FG cowl.

Good luck with yours...post progress pics!
Old 12-28-2003, 10:47 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want to use a stronger/faster servo, go right ahead, I'm just saying you don't NEED to.

Also, Adding a thin layer of FG to the inside of the cowl wouldn't hurt.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:47 PM
rjbarthel

thats cool ! I just think with as much control surface that there is a higher torque servo would be better ! a standard compaired to a std hi torque is only $15 .. I just wanted to see if anyone has tried this in both ways and if the added cost was even worth it ! I know that the single servo is a good system or GP would have not made the kit that way!!!
I havent been getting very many responses on this . But am happy that someone that knows the airplane has ..
I have read that lots of guys are dealing with the abs cowls cracking.. So with that i thought it would maybe worth trying glassing the inside of the abs cowl ! Not a heavy layer but just a backup layer keeping it light ! Im not kit bashing or looking to improve on a already good system just seen a couple areas that maybe could use a bump in a better direction . a fiber glass cowl is $30+ shipping and so my cost to lay a light layer of glass inside the abs cowl is much less.. well maybe this thread will spark a idea or spark a fight LOL .
if anyone has been there done that with this kit Id love the input thanks
Old 01-05-2004, 07:20 AM
John Rcflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using a standard Futaba for 4 seasons now and it works just fine for all 4 ailerons.
I did put a layer of fiberglass in the ABS cowl. Put a double layer where the mounting screws will go, for added strength. It held up pretty good until I had to land in the weeds one time. I bought a fiberglass one after that. The weight between the reinforced ABS and the fiberglass one seemed about the same.
Fun plane though.
John York
Old 01-05-2004, 06:59 PM
rjbarthel

Thanks Jon ive been wondering how the glassed ABS cowel would work !! I was starting to think maybe I was the only one that thought of doing that ! thanks for your input !!
Old 01-05-2004, 08:08 PM
rspiegel
My Feedback: (6)

pics can some of you post some pics of your gp ultimates and what your setup is with motor-performance
Old 01-05-2004, 10:13 PM
trroscoe
My Feedback: (39)

Here is a pic of my GP ultimate. It has the stock ABS cowl and the stock setup on the aileron servo with a standard cirrus servo installed. It flies fine with only one standard servo in it. I got mine in a trade deal so I didn't build it myself. If I was building one I would use two servo's or one higher in touque than a standard. The stock cowl has held up good. I had an OS 46 FX installed in it and it flew the plane pretty good. I recently installed a Saito 72 4 stroke in it and it rocks now. It has unlimited vertical and performs much better now. I fly this plane pretty tame but am expanding my capability fast.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47689.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	88143  
Old 01-06-2004, 04:12 AM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Ultimate. I built this plane about 2 years ago. I did modify the bottom wing to accept 2 servos and found it to be the easiest and best method. With 2 servos you get a very slop free install and minor weight gain. I also added a fiberglass cowl from STANS that probably negated the added weight of the extra servo. I have never had good luck with those heavy and Fragile ABS Cowls. Every one I have used had cracked within 1 month due to vibration. I installed an OS 70 Surpass II and found it a good match.

Good Luck with your build,

Phil (Mesa, AZ)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57600.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	88201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11546.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	88202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49036.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	88203  
Old 01-07-2004, 12:16 AM
rspiegel
My Feedback: (6)

pics died humm must be new server can you please email them to me at [email protected] thank I am looking to put a saito 72 or os60fx I want it to fly fast and vertical!!
Old 01-07-2004, 07:59 AM
Mike Buckley

I used standard JR 2 servos (537's) for the wing and bought a FG cowl. Works great!. Also I've used a Saito 91S for power! All I can say is wow! It's a nice plane, flies beautifully too!

Mike
Old 01-07-2004, 08:05 AM
Hisham

I am using 2 servos JR577 in the bottom wing
casted a FG cowling as well as pants ....