Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Somethin' Extra advice

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Somethin' Extra advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Flylow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Somethin' Extra advice

Standard size Futaba 3004 on throttle.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:29 PM
inverted flyer

finished my SSE about a year or more ago

AUW unfuelled 68 oz ...not too shabby

flies well on the saito 56 - power is about one to one with a 13x4 zinger wood

flies nicely and needs no speed at all to stay up - landing even on dead stick is a piece of cake - it just drifts in

will convert to electric now, for ease and power...

I want to build another for electric and have a flying weight of 3lbs or a shade over - i've seen it done and its awesome

i. f.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:32 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not going to argue about anything that yel914 says about the SE! It is worth looking at his beautiful model and the cowl. Click on his 'gallery' button to see it.

The SE that I was given has an oversized stick built rudder that is poorly made. The rest of the tail section is balsa sheets (slabs). No wire braces for elevator and fin.

The tail gear is a piece of wire glued into the rudder. Very light and simple. I have a foam tail wheel. The small wheels for electrics are a good source for light tail wheels.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:35 PM
inverted flyer

yeah yel914 did a nice job to say the least - that SE is lookin swell - what's the covering you used yel? it's very lustrous

I have it on good authority that instead of a rudder extension a rudder counterbalance will give you all the authority you need - that's a mod i'd definitely do in retrospect - likewise ele. counter-balances

i. f.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:31 PM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the nice comments guys. The colored covering is Ultracote and the white is Sig"s new Aerocote. I just had to try it and I would say it seems to work similar to Ultracote. I must like it 'cause I'm getting close to covering a Sig Skybolt with the stuff. My Skybolt is built from plans and will be white, grey and turquise. I might post some picks if anyone is interested.
I have heard also that the counterbalanced rudder works wellon the SSE. I traced all the parts from the kit and may incorporate the mod on the next one, down the road, I'm afraid-too many projects!
Old 05-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Handfist
My Feedback: (1)

Hope this question reaches you. Ref your SIG Extra. I'm using goldenrod, and a Saito .65. How far back & where did you place your
battery. Appreciate any help you can give.
Mike
email: [email protected]
Old 05-13-2011, 03:33 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Handfist - you don't need to expose your email address in a post. The forum software allows anyone to contact you with a "personal message" (PM) or compose an email. So, edit your post and delete your email - just trying to protect your identity.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:27 PM
thuebner

Between my brother and I we have three SSE's. One is built as per the plans, another is slightly modified and the third has a quite a few changes, all of them have .46 size motors. They all fly wonderfull, especially with a rearward cg. Both of my SSE's balance behind what was stated on the plans, and in my opinion makes the plane much more enjoyable to fly, but does not give it any bad habits. On one of my SSE's I moved the rudder and elevator servos to the rear of the fuselage, couterbalanced the elevator and rudder and also increased rudder size. I also made some SFG's for the wings and they radically improved the knife edge performance of the plane. It will knife edge all day long without falling off like the other two.
Not sure how you like to fly, but I am just a sport flyer and love the rearward cg. I will take a measurement and let you know the distance.