Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig 1/6th J3 Cub

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig 1/6th J3 Cub

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 09:48 PM
tubig

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Sig 1/6th J3 Cub

and i've added the remaining fuse stringers top and sides.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76214.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	135112  
Old 05-23-2004, 06:29 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job building the J3.

FYI, I have the original hanging in the basement that I built and rekitted and rebuilt in the early 60's. Like someone else said, Berkley's is the kitted Hollinger design. I have both plans some where in the archives.

I originally powered mine with a Veco .19. It would fly fine if you could hold it straight to take off. It was a ground looping fool. I changed to a ST .40 and that helped some as it would get off the ground quicker. Also, keep in mind that in those days I was using true analog systems and the servos were very slow as compared to todays servos. The last system in it was a 4 channel Digitrio which was PPM, but the servos were also slow. You tried to second guess what control to give before it was needed. Come to think of it, I am glad I retired it!
Old 05-23-2004, 05:11 PM
Phlip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great work!

This baby's coming along nicely. Keep up the good work, and you'll be in the air before you know it.

Phil

PS. I just realized, you said you weren't going to fly it. Here's an idea: when it's done tell the boss that it needs a little "Weathering" to look finished.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:39 PM
tubig

dan, i just got a Saito 40 for it. my original plan was an OS 30FS but decided to bump up the power a little after reading some other info on this model. just like you said it may help it fly better with a little more power. on yours, why not just put in a modern radio and have fun with it again?

thanks phlip. btw, the boss has changed her mind and now she wants to fly it. so we'll see how it goes. i would like to have it the air withing the next month or so.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:48 PM
JimTrainor

There is really alot of detail on this kit. It looks impressive, and fun to build.

Is SIG's 1/4 scale cub of similar detail?
Old 05-23-2004, 08:02 PM
tubig

ORIGINAL: JimTrainor

There is really alot of detail on this kit. It looks impressive, and fun to build.

yes it is fun but challenging also. a real old fashioned builder's kit. sorry, i don't know how this kit relates to sig's other cub kits regarding detail. this one seems very true to scale even though i haven't scrutinized it against any references. i will say this is the first one i've seen that actually has the gap between the horizontal stab and fuse per the full size.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:07 PM
iflyj3

ORIGINAL: tubig

dan, i just got a Saito 40 for it. my original plan was an OS 30FS but decided to bump up the power a little after reading some other info on this model. just like you said it may help it fly better with a little more power. on yours, why not just put in a modern radio and have fun with it again?

little snip
Since I have other planes to fly, I decided to keep it as a conversion piece since it is silk and dope and was built so long ago. Remember, all models have a built in crash and this one has had a couple. I'll just keep it intact.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:11 PM
iflyj3

ORIGINAL: tubig

yes it is fun but challenging also. a real old fashioned builder's kit. sorry, i don't know how this kit relates to sig's other cub kits regarding detail. this one seems very true to scale even though i haven't scrutinized it against any references. i will say this is the first one i've seen that actually has the gap between the horizontal stab and fuse per the full size.
Your note triggered my old memory and if you look at the horizonal stabilizer, it is over scale size. This was done to give the plane stability as a rudder only model. Otherwise the model is pretty scale.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:41 PM
tubig

got the landing gear done. lots of bending and trial fitting then soldering.

Name:	Zx70913.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	135500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31565.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	135501  
Old 05-23-2004, 09:19 PM
JimTrainor

I just framed up a Balsa USA 1/4 scale cub. It looks very similar in construction, but not quite the same level of detail. No half ribs, and the horizontal stabilizer fits flush against the fuse sides.

Does anybody know if the Sig 1/5 scale cub is as detailed as the 1/6 scale?
Old 06-10-2004, 07:05 PM
G1K

I'm in the process of finishing up a sig 1/4 cub, and I have the 1/6 waiting. My kit is also really old, and I expect it to build tha same as the 1/4, a big box of sticks.

I'll post up some pics later.
Ryan
Old 06-11-2004, 07:38 AM
tubig

i have done a little more to this kit but it's been in spurts so i haven't posted anything until now. i've put in the controls including a pull-pull for the rudder. the receiver will sit on the ply plate just forward of the rudder servo.

i've also got the the cowl glued up and in place. i added a double strip of fiberglass along the joint for the two cowl halves and i'll be putting a fiberglass patch around the access holes to help prevent splitting.

i've been working on the wing struts and now just need to shape them before they're complete. will post a pic of that later.

Name:	Ig13050.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	142052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32447.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	142053  
Old 06-11-2004, 11:44 PM
rs4driver

i also am building this kit, i have it done as far as building go's, i just need to cover and install the engine and all that good stuff, took me around 2 weeks, real simple build, i enjoyed it, cant wait to get it covered and everything and get it in the air.

also, going by the pic of your landing gear, unless you added it later after you took the pic, your missing 2 wires, theres 2 more V shaped ones that attatch to the main 1/8 wire and the ends are soldered, and the middle of the wires are held with a rubber band (acts as a shock)

Name:	Fd92282.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	142328  
Old 06-12-2004, 05:25 PM
Phlip

took me around 2 weeks, real simple build,

[sm=eek.gif][sm=eek.gif][sm=eek.gif]

You've got to be kidding! The last thing I'd call that kit is a simple build! Two weeks??!!?? How many hours?

Phil
Old 06-12-2004, 11:27 PM
rs4driver

i worked on it maybe an hour a day each day for 2 weeks.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:39 AM
tubig

ORIGINAL: rs4driver

i also am building this kit, i have it done as far as building go's, i just need to cover and install the engine and all that good stuff, took me around 2 weeks, real simple build, i enjoyed it, cant wait to get it covered and everything and get it in the air.

also, going by the pic of your landing gear, unless you added it later after you took the pic, your missing 2 wires, theres 2 more V shaped ones that attatch to the main 1/8 wire and the ends are soldered, and the middle of the wires are held with a rubber band (acts as a shock)
i won't finish the gear until after covering and painting and final fitting of everything.

i admire your ability to complete the build work on this kit in just two weeks. if only i could build that fast then i would have a much shorter "wish/to do" list.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:52 AM
rs4driver

well just so you know, theres no way i would of had it done so fast if i have never done this before, but i have been building plane kits since i was like 5 with my dad (started out with good old gillows kits)
Old 06-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Phlip

Wow! Still wow!

I've been building kits since I was ten or twelve myself (started with my big brother) and I'm 42 now, but it still takes me 6 months to finish a plane, working 5 to 10 hours a week, usually. And the 1/6th Cub was one of the toughest... lots of little pieces and fine detail.

Phil
Old 06-13-2004, 06:14 PM
Dano13

I just framed up a Balsa USA 1/4 scale cub. It looks very similar in construction, but not quite the same level of detail. No half ribs, and the horizontal stabilizer fits flush against the fuse sides.

I am currently building Sig 1/5. It is a fairly simple build by most standards. It is also much more of a "box" type construction.

The detail is definetly there. The operational door is built into the plans. The wing is a two piece construction with fully operational struts. It even has jury struts, unlike so many others I have seen. The ailerons are also the old fashioned "barn door" type. Another nice touch is the window on top of the cabin, just like the real thing. It also comes with precut wing parts to build either the original wing span, or the clipped wing version.

While the kit should be a fairly quick build, I am moving along at a snail's pace. I have the tail feathers built, and the fuse is nearly done except for sanding. I'll try to post some pictures in a day or two.

dano13
Old 06-13-2004, 07:43 PM
BearcatPilot

ORIGINAL: rs4driver
Are the two others wires necessary for the landing gear to function properly? I have the same kit, and the gear is soldered up to the same point, and would prefer to not have to deal with anymore soldering.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:21 AM
tubig

bcp, i imagine you could do without the other wires but i think it may make the gear a bit springy on landing. you could always try it without the wires and add them later if necessary.

btw, do you have any photos of your biuld you can share?
Old 06-14-2004, 01:33 PM
rs4driver

those wires are infact, needed, the keep the main gear rigid so it doesnt come down to land and bounce right onto its back, they keep the main gear straight also., i would not fly and try to land succefully without them, im sure you COULD fly and do everything fine without them, but its really not that big of a deal soldering in the wires so its actually correctly built. go the extra distance, it will be worth it.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Dano13

ORIGINAL: Dano13

I am currently building Sig 1/5. It is a fairly simple build by most standards. It is also much more of a "box" type construction.

The detail is definetly there. The operational door is built into the plans. The wing is a two piece construction with fully operational struts. It even has jury struts, unlike so many others I have seen. The ailerons are also the old fashioned "barn door" type. Another nice touch is the window on top of the cabin, just like the real thing. It also comes with precut wing parts to build either the original wing span, or the clipped wing version.

While the kit should be a fairly quick build, I am moving along at a snail's pace. I have the tail feathers built, and the fuse is nearly done except for sanding. I'll try to post some pictures in a day or two.

dano13
Below is a link to some pics I took today. It should give a good indication of how the Sig 1/5 Cub is built. As can be seen in the photos, I still have a great deal of sanding and detail work to do, but it gives you an idea of what this model is.

http://dano13.rchomepage.com/cub.html

dano13
Old 06-16-2004, 08:06 AM
tubig

here some shots of the wing struts. i went with the kit's plan on using screws to fasten the struts to the wing undersurface but decided it would be too tedious to use the plan's idea of using nuts and bolts to fasten the struts to the fuse so i went with clevises instead. not as scale but probably infinitely easier at the field. now i need to put some scrap balsa on the strut support wires and sand to shape. kinda burned out on sanding as it took me hours to sand the 4 spruce struts to shape.

Name:	Lj21651.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	143843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93442.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	143844  
Old 06-17-2004, 12:12 AM
BearcatPilot

I didn't take any pictures as I built my cub, and it is only partially covered at the moment. I can take some if you would like to see it. I am going with same approach as screwing the struts into the wings and using clevises on the fuselage. Clevises are actually fairly scale. The cub has extremely large clevises(or at least things that look like large clevises) that attach the wing struts to the fuselage, so your model will look just fine, and I think it will also be much easier to take apart and assemble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.