Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig 1/6th J3 Cub

Old 06-17-2004, 07:32 AM
tubig

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Sig 1/6th J3 Cub

bcp,
sure, put up some photos of what you've got so far. i always enjoy looking at other's work especially for a somewhat difficult kit like this one.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:47 PM
BearcatPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here are a couple of pictures. The covering is Sig Koveral put on with Stix-it. Nothing is trimmed very neatly yet. I plan to use water-based poly U for covering the fabric and then will try Lusterkote Cub yellow for the finish.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78481.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	144283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76548.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	144284  
Old 06-18-2004, 12:09 AM
tubig

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

looks good.

i, too, will use koverall but i'm going to dope it. i did try water-based poly on the elevator that i've already covered with koverall but i didn't like the way it looked so i decided to go the dope route. let me know how your experience with poly goes. i want to try latex red as the paint coat. still not sure what fuel-proofer to use.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:00 PM
rs4driver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well, i decided to get back in the game with my cub, got wheels, covering, and other **** on order,, heres some pics of the engine i'll be runnin, its the brat .28, it may be a bit underpowered, but i think it will be a good slow flyer, and if it turns out to be underpowered (which i doubt) i'll just crank it up with a .40 or .60
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75334.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	146038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26800.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	146039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15558.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	146040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37011.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	146041  
Old 06-22-2004, 11:50 PM
tubig

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

just about ready to start covering. time for final sanding, patching, etc. hopefully, will start covering next week.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:24 AM
Maki

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi , my name is Mario, I'm from Chile.

I was reading all you post, you really know about the RC, I have the same CUb from SIG in 1/6 scale, I in the 50 % of the construction, I don't have to much time to work on it, but I love it.
I have a question and I hope you can help me, I'll put a 4 stroke OS engine on the CUB, but I really dont know which one, can you tell me if I have to use the .40 or .52 4 stroke OS engine?

Thank you very much and Best Regards to all of you.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:46 PM
kamikaze89
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Tubig, my name is chase and im building this kit also. I have a Question about the horizantal stabilizer and elevator. On the plans it shows the 1/4" dowel being on the elevator but, on page 5 in the instruction manual it shows both dowels being on the horizantal stabilizer.

Thanks. Chase
Old 06-24-2004, 06:41 PM
DaveP

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mario-

A four-stroke 40 should be plenty for Sig's 1/6 Cub. I fly mine with an OS FS26, but mine is fairly light at 3.75 lbs RTF.

I take off at full throttle, but cut it down as soon as I'm up 25ft or so. Cruises at 1/2 throttle or less -- much more and it doesn't look scale. I'm going to try my FS20, but I expect that will be marginal, without the extra power that's nice to get out of scrapes. I'm building floats for it and am sure I'll need the FS26 then.

-Dave
Old 06-24-2004, 07:49 PM
BearcatPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Chase,
You should have three 1/4" dowels. One joins the elevator halves, and the other two are attached to the fuselage and the horizontal stabilizers are attached to them. If you need a picture to help clairfy, let me know.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:38 PM
fox35
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mine flies great with a Saito .30 4 stroke and a Zinger 12/4 shaped to look more scale. Has enough power to get out of trouble, and it is quieter than a geared electric.

Learned a lot about flying with the rudder on this Cub. Flat turns using rudder and opposite aileron are beautiful (also needs up elevator and a good boost of power).

Good luck with yours. Only crashed mine three or four times. It's stronger than it looks.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:06 PM
kamikaze89
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Okay, thanks for the info. I dont think ill need a pic.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:05 AM
Maki

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you very much for you answer Sir FOX35 and Sir DaveP.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:57 PM
tubig

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i'm using a saito 40.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:15 PM
Taildragger
My Feedback: (204)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've built 4 or 5 of these over these many yrs. My first one was powered with an old Fox 29. It was a perfect combo.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:41 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My 1/6 Cub is flight ready, but due to family illness I most likely will not fly it this year. Nice project though. This is what building was like 40 years ago when my father got me started.

JEB
Old 07-26-2004, 09:08 PM
DaveP

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Last month I mentioned my Sig 1/6 Cub flying fine with an OS FS26 - take off at full throttle, then tool around at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle.

Today I tried it on floats. I was mentally prepared to see it skimming along at a fast taxi, never quite breaking free, then bringing it home to put in a FS40. Instead, it took off easily with the FS26 in just 25-30 feet! Had a ball!

The floats are 30.5" long, pretty much following the Goldberg design, but all balsa. 1/8" formers and fwd bottom planking (cross-grain), 3/32" top, sides, rear bottom. Covered in Monokote (felt bad about that since plane is silk & dope, but what the heck). Weight with struts & water rudder is 1 lb even. That brings total plane & float weight to 4.75 lbs.

Next step is to try a FS20!

-Dave
Old 07-27-2004, 03:40 AM
Taildragger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You know, it's nice to see someone seeing how small a power plant they can get away with instead of how large for a change. Refreshing, isn't it?
Old 07-27-2004, 09:26 AM
tubig

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

wow, maybe the saito 40 i'm using will be much too much power. all of my rc friends here have been telling me a saito 40 won't be big enough but now i'm thinking it may be too much power.

just need to finish sand and start the covering.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:24 AM
DaveP

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tubig-

I'd think the Saito 40 would be okay, but nurse it on takeoff. I've seen many Cubs (not 1/6 Sig) crash on takeoff by rolling left. I think what's happening is that they're throwing on gobs of power and yanking it off before they have enough speed to handle the high torque and wing loading (most Cubs are heavier than the 1/6 Sig). The torque & loading make the left wing stall and over she goes.

Build up power gradually and let it take off by lifting itself off the ground - don't horse it into the air. With the 40, make sure you have a good low idle, or you won't be able to land except deadstick or by flying it into the ground.

For reference, my Cub is fairly light at 3.75 lbs. I simplified the stab by making it one piece (sorry, gave up the scale separation betwixt stab & fuse). Stab & wing tips & rudder outline are laminated balsa. I used minimum of dope on the silk, but I'd guess the covering still weighs about same as Monocote - I just like silk. Trexeler wheels save a couple of ounces. Servos (4) are GWS Minis at .97oz ea, saving another 2oz from standard servos. Rcvr is standard Futaba, 600mah NiCad battery.

My OS FS26 is new for this plane, so still getting broken in. Turns 10x6 MA prop with 12.5% CoolPower fuel, with 4oz Klotz added per gallon to bring up to 20% oil.

I didn't say yesterday that I only flew it twice on floats. The second flight ended when it spun into the lake. I'd been doing lazy loops & a couple of spins, but on the last spin I waited too long to pull out. It definitely takes longer to come out of a spin by itself with floats on and just the normal rudder area. Pulled the wood mountings off the top of the floats and I lost my 2-piece fiberglass cowl which had been held on with magnets (which make the cowl heavier than water). No damage to the Cub at all - absolutely zero! I could put the wheels back on and fly it except the cowl will take a couple of weeks to replace. Floats could be fixed in a day. On the new cowl, I'll add some styrofoam flotation!

-Dave
Old 07-27-2004, 03:27 PM
fox35

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've got a Saito .30 w/Zinger 12/4 on mine and it is just the right power. Started with a Fox .35. Your story might inspire me to put some floats on the 1/6 Cub.

I'm kinda envious of the weight of yours. Mine is about 4 1/4 lbs. with micro servos and pull-pull on rudder and elevator.

Has a very light wing loading though. Using opposite aileron and a lot of up elevator, it will do a flat turn with the rudder in about the radius of it's wingspan (or so it looks). To me it's a very spectacular manuever.

It's covered in yellow Solartex. After five years, it's gotten pretty dirty. It looks like a dirty old Cub in need of new paint and fabric!
Old 07-27-2004, 10:28 PM
tubig

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks for the input. i'll keep that in mind when taking her out. i prefer scale flying which means "long" takeoff runs with a gradual power up so hopefully that will take care of any over-torquing tendencies. i have noticed how light this kit is which should make a good flying model; however, i just didn't think a 26FS would be adequate for a 72" ws so went with the saito 40. i suppose i could always "downgrade" to a 26-30FS if the 40 is too powerful. i'm not much for overpowering my models.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:59 AM
fox35

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd say the Saito .40 with a Zinger 12/4 would be just fine. I think the .40 weighs only an ounce more than the .30. And the Zinger isn't a very efficient prop anyway. I could land mine (with the .30) at a much higher idle than I actually use.

On a cautionary note I have to mention that I have spun or snapped my Cub into the ground a few times. It always comes unexpectedly and I'm still not sure what happens. It always occurs trying to make a turn. Maybe it's a lack of judgement regarding airspeed. I've noticed the same kind of behavior with other Cubs I've flown.

Bottom line I guess, is that a Cub doesn't fly like a trainer.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:56 AM
DaveP

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I second fox35's thought that Cubs don't fly like trainers (at least that's my impression watching other trainers - I haven't flown a "trainer" since the 1960s). Mine wants to tighten up in a turn, so after entering a turn I have to straighten controls some and sometimes even give opposite aileron. It definitely will NOT straighten up by itself just by releasing the controls. I should say here that mine balances slightly noseheavy, thus is likely more stable than most.

It's sluggish entering and leaving spins (especially on floats!). I'm used to planes that enter and leave spins immediately.

Be certain your wings have at least a tiny bit of washout (tip trailing edge slightly higher than leading edge, relative to the root). The fullscale Cub has some washout, and models need it also. If you have the opposite condition (washin), the tip will stall first, leading to unexpected snap rolls - typically when you're near the ground.

-Dave
Old 07-28-2004, 02:05 PM
Taildragger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I also have experienced the stall in the turns before. I had forgot about that little characteristic. That's how I lost one of the cubs I built.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:55 PM
fox35

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It occurs to me that the reason this Sig Cub is one of my favorite planes right now is that you really have to fly it.

And if you don't learn to use the rudder, you lose more than half the fun.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service