Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

wing isn't straight

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

wing isn't straight

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Joe123s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wing isn't straight

im building a tiger 2. i did started both halves and sheeted the tops. NOw that im done i noticed they have bend in them. I'm so fustrated because i tried not to have that happen. i think that when i put the sheeting on i forced it to line up with the leading edge cause it wasn't exactly staight. What should i do? I bet you guys are going to tell me to take the sheeting off? or is there another way? thanks for any help
Old 01-09-2004, 06:25 PM
CafeenMan

Default RE: wing isn't straight

Take off the sheeting.

Actually it may not be necessary. You can spray the wing with water and ammonia mixed together and clamp it down until it dries and see if that works. Can you describe better how it is bent? A picture would be useful, but a good description will work.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:27 PM
Joe123s

here are some pics.. if you need more tell me...thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77223.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	89071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97460.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	89072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36946.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	89073  
Old 01-09-2004, 06:35 PM
CafeenMan

OK, the pics aren't real clear, but from what I'm seeing either the wing bows along the span (ugly, but not a big deal) or it's warped.

I'm not sure what I would do.

Your choices are:

* Take off sheeting and try again
* Get wing wet and bend in opposite direction past where it needs to be - it will spring back some
* Sand it as much as possible to get it straight
* Take out as much warp as possible while putting the covering on using the same technique as above - bend past where it needs to be, shrink and hope for the best.

It's not a lost cause though. Best thing you can do is get an experienced builder to take a look at it and maybe get some help getting it fixed.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:56 PM
kdheath

Try the ammonia/water bit. I heard of someone who soaked his wing in the bathtub.....You'll need to bend it past where you want to end up, to allow for springback. Use weights and shims to set it up. Let it dry a minimum of 24 hours, longer if you can stand it. But it likely would be best to pull the sheeting and start over.

The lesson is that if you have to force anything to fit on a model , well, every force has an equal and opposite reaction. Wings build better on jigs than on table tops where the ribs can move around. It's also very possible that the leading edge stick was curved when installled. I've tried it too many times, and warped LE stock just wrecks things. If the LE stick is warped, give serious thought to replacing it, too.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:09 AM
phread59

Ok looks like the wing warped kinda like a bannana. Here is what I would do. Being as the sheeting is not done on the other side. I would support the ends and bend the wing back. Be sure you do not twist it. Then sheet the bottom. Chances are good that will take the warp out. Are you using CA to sheet with? If so I would use the water/Ammonia deal on the other side to help bending. Then sheet the other side. If this fails then remove the sheeting and try again. Best of luck and remember patience will allow you to do the job right.

Mark Shuman
Old 01-10-2004, 03:29 PM
TerrellFlyer

I would finish the wings and go fly,by the pictures it looks a little banana bowed which on this plane won't matter,if the bow brothers you then add a filler to the leading edge and sand to shape.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:58 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm in total agreement with Terrell, don't worry about it, it won't affect anything.

Sheet the other side, finish the construction, and if it REALLY bugs you, just sand it a bit.

That's one of the bad things about building, YOU know where every goof up is

But you'll never see it at 500 ft.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:37 PM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also agree with Terrel and Minnflyer. doesn't look that bad. I'd fly it first and see if it bothers you. I've had my share of bent, bowed and warped wings, as well as bowed fuselages. Mind you, I'm not bragging, justs facts about my inept building years ago. My first Stafford P-39 fuse came out looking like it was making a left turn on the ground! Fuse bowed to the left like a bananna. Flew fine. Quite a bit of warp can be trimmed out. Now if it was a pattern ship or for aerobatic competition, that would be a different story. I'll bet it won't bother you.
Randy
Old 01-11-2004, 08:56 AM
Joe123s

i might just leave it then. im going to work on the fuselage and then go back to the wing. maybe ill rip of the sheeting. we'll see... thanks for the help
Old 01-12-2004, 11:58 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You will do more damage ripping the sheeting off. I wouldn't worry about it. You will never notice it once you are done. Jig it as straight as you can before sheeting the other side and you will be fine.