Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great Plans P-51 Mustang kit ?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great Plans P-51 Mustang kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 03:32 AM
Dead eyes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Plans P-51 Mustang kit ?

I just ordered a GP P-51 Mustang kit from TowerHobbies. I was wondering if there where any mods that shold be made for this kit. I plan on powering it with a .61 Magnum 4-stroke I already have. I have been flying for awhile and have built several kits. I have been flying Uproars for a couple of years (40 & 60) along with my Magic so I am past the trainer stage however I still wanted my first Mustang to have the sport type performance, rather than scale until I gain more experience. Thanks
Old 01-10-2004, 08:28 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Great Plans P-51 Mustang kit ?

The only thing that comes to mind, is to beef up the landing gear area in the wing. Other than that build it as per planes and you will have a great flying plane. Good Luck, Dave
Old 01-10-2004, 09:15 AM
Grumpy Monkey
My Feedback: (7)

Dead eyes,
Do a search for GP Mustang, this seems to be a very commonly asked question and there have probably been about 4 different threads in the past few months with some great advice about this plane. I have one with a TT Pro .46 and its a rocket, flies great even at almost 7 lbs( i have a lot of detail on my plane). The only thing with the extra weight of mine is it lands very hot. I beefed up the retract mounts and am using mechs. After about 50 flights, I have only slightly bent the gear back once about an 1/8th of an inch, and snapped one leg on maiden when she deadsticked and came in hot, which I did make the runway, but she nosed over. The wing was totally entact as was the retract mount, it snapped clean right where the strut goes into the mount. Keep the weight down and she should be a great little plane.

Warren
Old 01-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Dead eyes
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the replys. It was very late last night when I posted so I had quite a few typos. I will do some more research and hopefully start to build next week. It will be my "winter project". So I hope to take my time and make her shine. I also thought about going with fixed gear to save some weight. Thanks again guys !
Old 01-10-2004, 06:00 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I built mine stock and never had a problem with it.

BTW, the GP Mustang is designed to be more of a sport flier than scale. You'll love it!
Old 01-11-2004, 12:03 AM
Azcat59

I had one with a K&B 48 in it, and it was flying great for about 5-6 minutes until an errant receiver quit talking to me (radio manufacturer replaced it). Mine had GP retracts, was covered with Ultracote, and was fairly light, and flew like a small pattern plane. Good enough that I bought another kit and another K&B 48 for it.

Clair
Old 01-11-2004, 07:17 PM
av8r4aa
My Feedback: (82)

I have built and flown that plane. Here is what I would do differently,
On the lower "air scoop" , build it solid for the day that you might have to do a gear up.
As for the other guys you just cant beef up the landing gear area too much.
My flying buddy moved the tail wheel to the scale area and that looked and worked great.
Be carefull when you cut the lower chin cowling the "cut " lines are a little off.
measure twice and cut once.
Other than those small items have fun it is a great plane pardon the pun

Greg